Page 6 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    One of my favorite relationships from the movie. LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Reminds me of this panel from Greg Pak.

I'm glad they cut this, though. One, because this MCU Namor definitely did what he said he was going to do. Two, because it doesn't quite seem to fit MCU Namor. Most of the time he stated his reactions, it was to what he perceived as threats to his people, which was not this situation.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yes, I loved Jae Lee's art from that series. I think of it as the same style as the Inhumans book. Gorgeous!
    Indeed. An interesting reading experience, especially new uses of Namor's "talents"
    (manipulation over raindrops & implied capabilities to nullify Sue's force-field):

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-06-2023 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Their dynamic was one of the highlights of the movie, I hope they get to interact in the future, lol.

Reminds me of this panel from Greg Pak.

I'm glad they cut this, though. One, because this MCU Namor definitely did what he said he was going to do. Two, because it doesn't quite seem to fit MCU Namor. Most of the time he stated his reactions, it was to what he perceived as threats to his people, which was not this situation.
    This also reminded me of that Pak comic but I feel since most of Coogler's inspiration seemed to be coming from a DoomWar/Hickman perspective he might have taken it from Namor's response to Reed in Hickman's Avengers? I mean the Pak comic came out in 2020 so it could have def been from that as well!

New Avengers (2013) #22

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Their dynamic was one of the highlights of the movie, I hope they get to interact in the future, lol.
    Me too! We need that Disney + Talokan show.

This also reminded me of that Pak comic but I feel since most of Coogler's inspiration seemed to be coming from a DoomWar/Hickman perspective he might have taken it from Namor's response to Reed in Hickman's Avengers? I mean the Pak comic came out in 2020 so it could have def been from that as well!

New Avengers (2013) #22
    Well, I guess that's pretty much a direct Hickman quote. LOL!

Man, I'd forgotten how hypocritical and useless most of the Illuminati were.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed. An interesting reading experience, especially new uses of Namor's "talents"
    (manipulation over raindrops & implied capabilities to nullify Sue's force-field):

Namor did have some interesting powers, but that's been one of the stories that's folks argue over whether it is actually canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Speaking for myself, I am glad there was no Shuri / Namor romance. I think they've changed things enough as it is. I am getting cranky I guess but I don't like it when they stray that far away from the comics. Sort of dreading what they may do with Doom when he finally shows up in the MCU.
    They pretty much trashed all of 616 Namor's history for the MCU even before the movie, so ... (shrug). But this was not the movie for a romance.

I'm neutral on the ship itself, I don't hate it but like, I just don't ship it. I think it's very smart they decided not to do any romance in the movie because imo it would have felt really out of place for the tone of grief/moving on that the movie carries. I honestly don't think they can do worse by Doom than Fant4sic the movie, im sorry but gamer white man doom who becomes that weird thing, it's not even a mask, just his body? no thanks! hopefully they will go old school with doom
    Exactly. Plus the MAJOR obstacle to their relationship, which I have no idea how Oberon is going to avoid getting spoiled for another month. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Still haven't seen BP but getting closer, tee-hee.

So, it's me and I obviously think they didn't want Shuri because they will probably have this somewhere else, and yeah, it could be Sue/analog once the FF are coming.

We don't want Namor to kiss and tell (not tell) too much, right. This would be the impression that he is a lothario and it wouldn't work to me.

Of course, they could be saving this romance for that other blond, Emma Frost?
    Hmmmm. NOT. Going. To. Spoil. for you. But I don't think it's about saving Namor for someone else -- we can't even get Feige or anyone there to admit we are going to get more Namor, much less his own stuff. But like Imp said, it romance really doesn't fit with what was going in this movie. Namor's 'relationship' with Shuri in the movie was used for something else, that needed to move her story along.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-07-2023 at 11:22 AM.

I am getting cranky I guess but I don't like it when they stray that far away from the comics. Sort of dreading what they may do with Doom when he finally shows up in the MCU.
    I hear you. Cause they WILL change him for the adaptation. The best you can hope is that they understand the core of the character. I actually feel we got incredibly luck that Coogler got Namor, and wanted to lean into things like his ankle wings and the speedo.

I honestly don't think they can do worse by Doom than Fant4sic the movie, im sorry but gamer white man doom who becomes that weird thing, it's not even a mask, just his body? no thanks! hopefully they will go old school with doom
    That was truly dreadful. I just... I mean... WTF?

That Josh Trank FF movies definitely was the worst attempt at an adaptation of the Fantastic Four and Doom. None of the movies have gotten Doom...the cartoons do a better job like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes or the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. I'd be more hopeful if the Russo Brothers will be coming back to Marvel but I haven't seen anything about that.
    I need to watch them again, but I didn't think the Tim Story FF movies were that bad. Though Julian Mahon did eat the scenery vigorously.

I definitely feel the 1994 F4 movie was the closet to Doom in a very theatrical way, but I agree that he hasn't been done perfectly or close to it yet in the movies. I sorta wish we had gotten a glimpse of Doom and Namor in BP: WF, bc they lifted a lot from Doomwar for this movie.
    Did they? I thought they pulled from the previous arc, Power -- sort of maybe, than Doomwar. I have to disagree. The movie was already almost 3 hours long, and I feel we should have gotten more of Talokan and Namor, rather than trying to throw Doom in there too. Plus, I think it works better if they establish both characters, and then they meet up. Honestly, I didn't care for the idea that it was all Doom's manipulations.

The 1994 movie ... the Corman movie? Hmmmm.

A part of me wonders if it is because of the more casual movie goer (or ancient one like me) who would say

They're ripping off Darth Vader, which of course would be A$$ backwards.
    Heh. Iron Maiden, wasn't there a mash up fanart of Vader and Doom?

I think Doom is actually more known to the general public than we think, what with the cartoons and the previous movie appearances.

By Salem Beiruti. I think this was done after the movie. But apparently he was a concept artist for the Wakanda Forever costumer, Ruth Carter.

Check out these links for some his early designs / images of Namor and Talokan. Gorgeous!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClOk8..._web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClhHoLeL..._web_copy_link

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Those arts are so beautiful!!!

And you are right Rev, they pulled that whole desert fight scene from the time shuri fought namor just before the doomwar comic, but I had read that whole series + doomwar together so I just think of it as doomwar arc in my head even though its not accurate XD
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

They pretty much trashed all of 616 Namor's history for the MCU even before the movie, so ... (shrug). But this was not the movie for a romance.

Exactly. Plus the MAJOR obstacle to their relationship, which I have no idea how Oberon is going to avoid getting spoiled for another month. LOL!

Hmmmm. NOT. Going. To. Spoil. for you. But I don't think it's about saving Namor for someone else -- we can't even get Feige or anyone there to admit we are going to get more Namor, much less his own stuff. But like Imp said, it romance really doesn't fit with what was going in this movie. Namor's 'relationship' with Shuri in the movie was used for something else, that needed to move her story along.
    Oh I actually don't care about that, or being spoiled. Nothing ever really surprises me much these days. But I'm an absolute hermit, even amongst my own tribe (modern day Pagan community).
    I'm more concerned about how the FF will finally make it to the screen and how well they'll be/fit in, then

the possible Namor Sue thing. It either is meant, or not to happen. So many opportunities for those stories have been spoiled for a person like me, who prefers more adhering to canon.
    I haven't even watched Thor 4 on Disney + yet.
    So I'll probably see Wakanda Forever before Thor. Oh well.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I hear you. Cause they WILL change him for the adaptation. The best you can hope is that they understand the core of the character. I actually feel we got incredibly luck that Coogler got Namor, and wanted to lean into things like his ankle wings and the speedo.
    Coogler was also working with Namor in the context of a BP film, I'm confident if he gets to take control of a crossover film, he'll do Namor justice too.

I'd take lore changes over core changes tbvh, Thor's lore is still true to comics but he is essentially, a different character from it.
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Coogler was also working with Namor in the context of a BP film, I'm confident if he gets to take control of a crossover film, he'll do Namor justice too.

I'd take lore changes over core changes tbvh, Thor's lore is still true to comics but he is essentially, a different character from it.
    I agree. And that's definitely what Coogler did with Namor -- which worked out well, IMO. I'd be very curious with what he'd do with Namor in his own movie or show. As it is, I'm not sure who I could see being a director / showrunner.

Those arts are so beautiful!!!

And you are right Rev, they pulled that whole desert fight scene from the time shuri fought namor just before the doomwar comic, but I had read that whole series + doomwar together so I just think of it as doomwar arc in my head even though its not accurate XD
    They really were gorgeous, and I'm sucker for watercolors. I'm got the feeling that he was either translating her ideas into costume boards, or perhaps doing 'mood' boards. He also did a few of the funeral.

Power did lead into Doomwar, but Namor doesn't appear at all in Doomwar, IIRC. One of my major disappointments of the book. But the movie only took the idea of Shuri becoming the Black Panther and the fight with Namor, but that's about it, IIRC.

Oh I actually don't care about that, or being spoiled. Nothing ever really surprises me much these days. But I'm an absolute hermit, even amongst my own tribe (modern day Pagan community).
    I'm more concerned about how the FF will finally make it to the screen and how well they'll be/fit in, then

the possible Namor Sue thing. It either is meant, or not to happen. So many opportunities for those stories have been spoiled for a person like me, who prefers more adhering to canon.
    I haven't even watched Thor 4 on Disney + yet.
    So I'll probably see Wakanda Forever before Thor. Oh well.
    Well, if you don't mind spoilers ... MCU Namor is 500 years old. He's far more experienced with the surface world than comic Namor was. More serious, with the weight of responsibility and age.

Much like with Namor, they've already jettisoned so much of the FF's history, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for any comic's accuracy in their movie.