Page 14 of 131 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Honestly, if you wanted a Black Hero for Miles to learn from off the bat who can do everything better than Miles would be T'challa or Shuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    But how else will he make Misty seem useful? Legitimately it's the only way to make her seem relevant, there's nothing Misty can do that Miles can't do just as well if not better.
    I think the problem is that it's easier to write one person competent and the other inexperienced than it is to write the first person as an expert and the other as merely competent. But the latter is more satisfying to the reader.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaychance View Post
    Honestly, if you wanted a Black Hero for Miles to learn from off the bat who can do everything better than Miles would be T'challa or Shuri.
    Miles actually did team-up with Shuri in her series from a couple years ago and they were treated more or less as equals.

Spectrum or Storm could've worked as well if he specifically wanted a woman, which I think he did. Doesn't even need to be better at everything he could've used Doctor Voodoo since magic isn't something Miles encounters often. Now that I think about it part of it probably had to do with the "back-to-basics" idea combined with Ziglar wanting to do the mentorship idea. Back-to-basics means street level for Spider-Man, though I personally don't think that's the case for Miles, and the only street level Black woman of particular note is Misty. Problem is despite that being the case Misty still doesn't really have anything under her belt to feel suitable for the job. Being honest most street level heroes don't just by virtue of spider powers putting characters above most street level things.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Hell, if we wanted to stick closer to the Spider-Mythos, could bring back Hobie Brown (original Prowler, currently Hornet of the Slingers) or maybe Cardiac. Speaking of a possible link with Wakanda, could bring in Kevin "Kasper" Cole, the onetime American Black Panther and White Tiger of Wakanda's Panther Cult, since he could bridge the gap between the New York streets and Wakanda and offer interesting perspectives learned from both. Considering that Monica Rambeau did debut in an Amazing Spider-Man Annual, it could work in a "full circle" way for her to come back in a Spider-Man comic and mentor Miles as well, though for more street-level heroics . . . could dig up Wildstreak from that one Fantastic Four Annual back in the 90s. Wait a second . . . there was a vigilante called Nocturne from the 90s Spider-Man comics as well, and she even used to be a cop, if I'm remembering correctly. All of which is to ultimately say, I don't entirely mind this direction with Misty Knight and Miles, if only because Big Two comics have generally severely dropped the ball when it comes to giving serious shine to characters that don't fit the traditional mold of what a superhero should be or look like, but I do agree it could be done better on Miles's end.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

You mean how to get beat up by Cap America and talked down to by everyone and take mess from a writer's pet character? No thanks.

If they want Miles chilling with black heroes-who are already in New York.

Cardiac
    Night Thrasher
    Nightwatch (if he's back now)
    Blurr
    Wildstreak
    Rocket Racer (and seeing he has siblings-why couldn't he be Judge's big brother)
    Triad Man
    Battlestar is not doing anything

Or dust off some characters who have not been used in years (and are clean slates)
    Children of Pavane
    Troop-while not a hero-has links to a certain Luke Cage.
    The OTHER Patriot-since Sam has dumped his biggest fan

I'm down for a Rocket Racer team up
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I think the problem is that it's easier to write one person competent and the other inexperienced than it is to write the first person as an expert and the other as merely competent. But the latter is more satisfying to the reader.
    The Rhino-Miles teamup didn't have to do that to make a story work.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

ok rabble deserves no forgiveness
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Ok read the issue and yeah, I'm really digging this run so far.
    I'm also glad Ziglar was smart enough to acknowledge, through Tiana's dialogue, how misguided and overblown Rabble's vendetta against Miles is. Her origin story was still a gut punch in the feels though. I hope she stay's during and after this run. And it seems that Agent Gao is gonna fill in as Miles' "J. Jonah Jameson" for this run, which I like since it gives Miles more opportunity to be a smartass to someone other than just those trying to kill him.

spoilers:
    The way her powers manifested as a child gives me the feeling that she may be a mutant if not a legit meta-human.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Grimm911; 02-01-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You mean how to get beat up by Cap America and talked down to by everyone and take mess from a writer's pet character? No thanks.

If they want Miles chilling with black heroes-who are already in New York.

Cardiac
    Night Thrasher
    Nightwatch (if he's back now)
    Blurr
    Wildstreak
    Rocket Racer (and seeing he has siblings-why couldn't he be Judge's big brother)
    Triad Man
    Battlestar is not doing anything

Or dust off some characters who have not been used in years (and are clean slates)
    Children of Pavane
    Troop-while not a hero-has links to a certain Luke Cage.
    The OTHER Patriot-since Sam has dumped his biggest fan
    Hmm, it seems our lists somewhat overlap. Thanks for bringing up Rocket Racer, and I think Battlestar last showed up in Christopher Priest's U.S.Agent: American Zealot miniseries. Night Thrasher would definitely be a good one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I'm down for a Rocket Racer team up
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    Ok read the issue and yeah, I'm really digging this run so far.
    I'm also glad Ziglar was smart enough to acknowledge, through Tiana's dialogue, how misguided and overblown Rabble's vendetta against Miles is. Her origin story was still a gut punch in the feels though. I hope she stay's during and after this run. And it seems that Agent Gao is gonna fill in as Miles' "J. Jonah Jameson" for this run, which I like since it gives Miles more opportunity to be a smartass to someone other than just those trying to kill him.

spoilers:
    The way her powers manifested as a child gives me the feeling that she may be a mutant if not a legit meta-human.
    end of spoilers
    Real shame about Rabble, though it does call to mind the trope "Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse," summed up as, "Your pain, trauma, and suffering are not an excuse to inflict the same on others."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

No major complaints for this issue. Still a bit iffy on Rabble as a villain, not really feeling a sense of menace from her. And her origin is so tragic I don't know how I'd feel if she just ended up in prison at the end.

I thought the issue was fine. I'm still not feeling how Miles is being portrayed/treated so far, though.

spoilers:
    The fight with Scorpion was OK. Misty didn't really outshine Miles or anything, but it didn't seem like she actually needed to be there except to get Gao off Miles' case at the end.

Rabble's motivation for getting revenge on Miles is just as we'd thought. And while her past is rather tragic she is, of course, taking things way too far.

It also seems like Raneem's affinity for tech is some sort of superpower that she manifested.
    end of spoilers

Nice issue. Good art, decent motivation for Rabble with enough error on her part to show she's in the wrong in her thinking. Really my only gripe with this run so far is the rookie hour for Morales but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be from the preview. Agent Gao still remains a nice Damocles Sword. Looking at the world as sort of still on the cusp of going full superhuman registration and the Kamala Law still in process of being repealed by the new mayor (I believe the current Wasp mini mentioned similar troubles) Misty's presence is somewhat valuable there. Raneem might also be a mutant? If she's recognized as one she would automatically have a pardon and protection from Krakoa for anything she's done or is doing. It'd be pretty wild to put Morales at odds with the Mutant nation right now though since they're the biggest thing happening in the Marvel universe at the moment.

It seems the team up with Knight is over for right now and it's onto the fight with Rabble in earnest.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, it seems our lists somewhat overlap. Thanks for bringing up Rocket Racer, and I think Battlestar last showed up in Christopher Priest's U.S.Agent: American Zealot miniseries. Night Thrasher would definitely be a good one, too.

Same.

Real shame about Rabble, though it does call to mind the trope "Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse," summed up as, "Your pain, trauma, and suffering are not an excuse to inflict the same on others."
    Actually her issues with Miles do NOT make sense and this is where an editor worth their salt would do their job.

She didn't have only ONE shot to get into that school.
    Schools like Miles do have something called WAITING LISTS.
    Kids leave as we saw Goldballs did in the last Bendis run.
    Kids are free to reapply.

I had to audition to get into my high school. No matter what grade level you had to.
    I got 7 schools with 1000 kid waiting list for 100 spots.

If she is that dang talented-WHERE IS TONY STARK AT???? If not him-where is GIRL at? Or AIM?

I will assume she hacked into the system to find out Miles's number-because that is not suppose to be public information.