Page 33 of 147 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But that has been a problem in this run since the beginning, sofar non of the villains felt really like much of a thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Taylor has never been able to find a way to keep the villains threatening without the freedom the Elseworlds provide to kill off C-Listers. Injustice ruined him because that’s where he established himself as a writer, but it also is where he developed a lot of bad habits that he can’t seem to grow out of.

In a long running storyline like he’s trying with Heartless, we need to see the villains win some times through either brawn or brains. Heartless needs to actually beat Nightwing, but in a way that doesn’t make Nightwing look stupid. Instead Heartless just seems to put his plans on hold and wait every time Dick gets side tracked by other plots. I think this current filler arc would be helped if we saw a page or so every issue of Heartless making deals or preparing while Nightwing is dealing with Neron, to show that he’s not just sitting around but being proactive himself.
    Oh this is gonna be really funny when Heartless is finally defeated and he was overall about as competent as Blockbuster was before he died

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Oh this is gonna be really funny when Heartless is finally defeated and he was overall about as competent as Blockbuster was before he died
    It's inevitable. As Vordan says, it's not as if Heartless has been shown to be especially competent. Dick's just not doing much to catch him.

Do you all think Taylor is gonna draw Heartless out until he leaves the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think that's really addressing peoples' criticisms.
    I mean not going anywhere as in will probably be a mainstay of Nightwing going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I agree. I know some people didn't like Seeley's run, but he is one of the few writers, who tried to give Bludhaven its own charm and make it Nightwing's city and not just Gotham 2.0. He also tried to utilize long forgotten characters and gave them a new home. Raptor is one of his creations as well, and I wish new writers of Nightwing would use him more. Higgins had some interesting ideas as well, which expanded on Dick's connection to the Court of Owls (Raya, Saiko). I would like to see those characters back and not be killed off again. Nightwing needs his own enemies and supporting cast like seriously I really hate the trend of Nightwing writers ignoring everything before their own run. Dick has been around for 80+ years and there is barely anything worth mentioning to adapt besides his origin and his days with the Titans. We need writers to actually stick to some characters and elements of the city and expand of it.
    Is that not what Taylor’s been doing.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-24-2023 at 03:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    It's inevitable. As Vordan says, it's not as if Heartless has been shown to be especially competent. Dick's just not doing much to catch him.

Do you all think Taylor is gonna draw Heartless out until he leaves the book?
    That is possible.

As have been noted there's not really much momentum or even clear machinations to Heartless' plans beyond vague or generic consolidating of power. Its very possible Heartless will be dragged as the series final boss who Dick will defeat and claims that by beating him he's "saved the soul of the city" and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    In a long running storyline like he’s trying with Heartless, we need to see the villains win some times through either brawn or brains. Heartless needs to actually beat Nightwing, but in a way that doesn’t make Nightwing look stupid. Instead Heartless just seems to put his plans on hold and wait every time Dick gets side tracked by other plots. I think this current filler arc would be helped if we saw a page or so every issue of Heartless making deals or preparing while Nightwing is dealing with Neron, to show that he’s not just sitting around but being proactive himself.
    Heartless killed Blockbuster and just freed all of Bludhaven’s prisoners. Where he made a deal with Zucco in preparation for his plan.

Is it because Dick isn’t crying or wallowing about everything bad that happens that we are just dismissing them as if they didn’t happen.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-24-2023 at 03:25 AM.

At least this run is making Higgins and Seeley's run more appreciated, as they deserve.
    I don't hate Taylor's run, but he has been a very limited writer. The same happened with X-Men Red. I just don't have any interest in the story he's telling anymore, it's not good and I'm sure it won't get much better.
    The Titans are occupying space that should belong to other characters, new ones, created by Taylor himself, Melinda, the Heartless joke, and old ones. It's funny how every new writer on Nightwing always comes in saying they love the character but apparently hate what surrounds him because they ignore everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I agree. I know some people didn't like Seeley's run, but he is one of the few writers, who tried to give Bludhaven its own charm and make it Nightwing's city and not just Gotham 2.0. He also tried to utilize long forgotten characters and gave them a new home. Raptor is one of his creations as well, and I wish new writers of Nightwing would use him more. Higgins had some interesting ideas as well, which expanded on Dick's connection to the Court of Owls (Raya, Saiko). I would like to see those characters back and not be killed off again. Nightwing needs his own enemies and supporting cast like seriously I really hate the trend of Nightwing writers ignoring everything before their own run. Dick has been around for 80+ years and there is barely anything worth mentioning to adapt besides his origin and his days with the Titans. We need writers to actually stick to some characters and elements of the city and expand of it.
    Taylor's Bludhaven feels like it's shaping up to be "Gotham, but better."
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I mean not going anywhere as in will probably be a mainstay of Nightwing going forward.
    Specifically the dog? I can see that.
    Heartless killed Blockbuster and just freed all of Bludhaven’s prisoners. Where he made a deal with Zucco in preparation for his plan.

Is it because Dick isn’t crying or wallowing about everything bad that happens that we are just dismissing them as if they didn’t happen.
    I don't see anyone demanding Dick be depressed or moping about stuff.

I don’t see Haley going anywhere. Generally speaking Taylor’s run will probably be Nightwing’s most adaptable. I think you guys are projecting a bit.
    I don't really see why it would be most adaptable? Dick inheriting money, Babs and Titans are things that require more background information than many other Nightwing runs.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't really see why it would be most adaptable? Dick inheriting money, Babs and Titans are things that require more background information than many other Nightwing runs.
    Streamlining of his mythology, high focus on character moments, cute puppy, ect. Dick inheriting money is a pretty pedestrian development compared to other Nightwing runs, and Babs and Titan are generally things they’d want to explain.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-24-2023 at 10:22 AM.

And what was the status quo change as a result of a prison outbreak? Say what you will about City of Bane or Joker War, but those did cause status quo changes for Batman. Alfred died and Bruce lost his money, forcing him to move out of the manor. In contrast, basically nothing happened regarding the prison outbreak in Nightwing. The Titans built a tower replacing the prison!… and they’re already moving their operations to Gotham.

I don’t want Dick being depressed and moping, that’s actually the opposite of what I want. I want Dick to keep trying to improve Bludhaven, but I want it to feel like an actual challenge to do so. Give him setbacks, have some of his initiatives fail because of sabotage or corruption or because criminals target them. Really sell me that this is a battle for the soul of the city, because right now it all feels too easy.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm curious to you all given how much media Dick Grayson has been in, which Dick Grayson has been your favorite? For example, do you like BTAS, more than YJ or do you like titans more than The Batman kind of thing
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 03-24-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Incredible Member

Streamlining of his mythology, high focus on character moments, cute puppy, ect. Dick inheriting money is a pretty pedestrian development compared to other Nightwing runs, and Babs and Titan are generally things they’d want to explain.
    I agree. Plus, Dick running a charity is probably the best "real" job he can have. You can focus on it like Taylor or just have it in the background. No longer will Dick have to work menial jobs to support himself. It presents a good explanation for how Dick is able to afford fighting crime without needing to be a major vocal point.

On a different note, I like the experimentation with format for #105 but I would like an arc specifically focusing on Dick vs Heartless soon. That specific plot point is moving a little slow for me. I think Taylor has done a phenomenal job building a strong foundation for future Nightwing writers. But I would like to some focus on villains.

I do think he has done a good job making Bludhaven feel like Nightwing`s home. With the Titans based in the city and Dicks success fighting crime, we may even see more globe trotting in the next run.
    Last edited by Iclifton; 03-24-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Taylor didn't make Bludhave Dick's home, he made it his social experience. Dixon made Dick join the police, see the city's problems through different eyes, see problems he didn't see as a vigilante (domestic violence), live with ordinary people.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Taylor didn't make Bludhave Dick's home, he made it his social experience. Dixon made Dick join the police, see the city's problems through different eyes, see problems he didn't see as a vigilante (domestic violence), live with ordinary people.
    Your stating opinion as fact.

I find the Pennyworth foundation to be much better than him being a police officer. That job was bound to not last. Taylor has made Dick a public figure in Bludhaven and actually integrated the Titans. What he`s doing now is also looking at crime through a different perspective than being a vigilante. He`s using his money and resources to fight corruption and help the desperate. You are literally just a hater determined to undermine the run.

Its not perfect. But like I said its a good foundation. The next run can continue to focus on Bludhaven or it can just use it as Dicks home base and go more global. Either way Tyalor has put together a solid foundation other writes can build on.

What's really been streamlined?

I get it though, the character moments, the positive vibes, the puppy...Taylor knows what to emphasize.

Melinda will probably get ditched as soon as Taylor's gone though.