Page 35 of 147 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Scott McDaniel's art had a much more unique look.
    Agreed. Quite inimitable, to say the least...

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-26-2023 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Incredible Member

No reason Dick can’t go back and have the occasional beer at the cop bar he used to work at. He might see some old acquaintances there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I don’t see Haley going anywhere.
    I freakin' love Haley.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I agree. Plus, Dick running a charity is probably the best "real" job he can have. You can focus on it like Taylor or just have it in the background. No longer will Dick have to work menial jobs to support himself. It presents a good explanation for how Dick is able to afford fighting crime without needing to be a major vocal point.
    Seems to be the best fit for him so far. The bartender bit seemed kind of pedestrian and was never really sure how much I cared for the idea of him being a cop. Plus, he seems to really do the work in his organization while (for the most part) it seems as if Bruce just leaves most (if not all) of it to Lucius.

Something not even Dixon was able to accomplish.
    I'll give this to Dixon - he is good at world building. That said, I never got the impression that Dick was ever more invested in Bludhaven than it simply wasn't Bruce's city.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The bartender bit seemed kind of pedestrian and was never really sure how much I cared for the idea of him being a cop.
    Keep in mind those jobs were basically Dick going undercover to fight the corruption in the Büldhaven Police Department, that was one of the biggest criminal organisations in that town.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Keep in mind those jobs were basically Dick going undercover to fight the corruption in the Büldhaven Police Department, that was one of the biggest criminal organisations in that town.
    I understand that, but at the same time, I really didn't feel either of them really fit his personality. Honestly, they both just seemed like placeholders until a better civilian id job came around.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

People who seem to want writers to build on something by having Dick’s initiatives fail and his villains win, lol. The good old Didio approach. Taylor has brought about some of the biggest changes Bludhaven has seen, but since Dick’s not sleeping under a pile of newspapers at the end I guess none of it counts. You can’t have it both ways, you can’t ask for them to continuously tear down everything Dick tries do and then ask why nothing gets built on or improved. There’s no execution where that contradiction works.
    Readers don’t actually want to read a Nightwing where the things he tries to do constantly fail, trapped under set backs, and not actually accomplishing anything. That why his numbers were in the gutter. That has been their approach with Nightwing for years now. It wasn’t working.
    Who is asking for Dick to never win or accomplish anything? No one has actually suggested that.

I mean, if you feel like this is like Dick's victory/apology tour for all the bad Dick had to endure under Didio, especially during the Ric era, that's fine. I just want more than that.
    Seeley reinvented Bludhaven as if it was new and Dick had no history or mythology there. Taylor reintroduced Bludhaven in a more familiar form, and reincorporated Dick’s history and mythology there while consolidating it into a more assessable form. They did different things.

Even when it comes to Bludhaven, Sleeley focused more on trying to give the city an identity where Taylor is more focused on trying to give Dick an identity within the city.
    So basically it's not about Bludhaven standing out it's about Dick standing out in Bludhaven?
    His sister is the Mayor.
    Yeah, but like nobody really cares about her being his sister. Honestly you could just make her Sonia and the story would be about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    No reason Dick can’t go back and have the occasional beer at the cop bar he used to work at. He might see some old acquaintances there.
    Taylor can remember Clancy, he can at least remember Amy Rohrbach.
    Seems to be the best fit for him so far. The bartender bit seemed kind of pedestrian and was never really sure how much I cared for the idea of him being a cop. Plus, he seems to really do the work in his organization while (for the most part) it seems as if Bruce just leaves most (if not all) of it to Lucius.
    I just saw a twitter thread that shows all the stuff Bruce actually does! It was really eye-opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just saw a twitter thread that shows all the stuff Bruce actually does! It was really eye-opening.
    Nightwing #77, but Bruce didn't have to climb onto a podium and put children's lives at risk.
    Nightwing 077-020.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Nightwing #77, but Bruce didn't have to climb onto a podium and put children's lives at risk.
    Nightwing 077-020.jpg
    Nightwing #77 was such a great issue in an otherwise lukewarm or downright bad Dan Jurgens run. It was really nice to see Dick interact with the homeless mother and her child and then he found a solution for the whole tent city by employing Bruce.

It felt as genuine as Dick helping that kid in Dixon's Nightwing #12. The boy who later ends up taken in by one of the people in Dick's Blüdhaven apartment complex.

Extraordinary Member

So basically it's not about Bludhaven standing out it's about Dick standing out in Bludhaven?
    I mean, the book is called Nightwing and not Bludhaven, so...

Yeah, but like nobody really cares about her being his sister. Honestly you could just make her Sonia and the story would be about the same.
    I mean, I do. I think she's actually a pretty interesting new member of his supporting cast. And I also like to think I'm someone lol

TBH, I have no recollection who this person is, either.

Now if we just saw it in the comics...
    Last edited by phonogram12; 03-25-2023 at 01:00 PM.

With Taylor's run, yes.

I mean, the book is called Nightwing and not Bludhaven, so...
    With Taylor's run, yes.
    I don't see why you can't get both. It's not like the city overshadowed Dick in other runs, or even Seeley's who had the best Bludhaven.
    I mean, I do. I think she's actually a pretty interesting new member of his supporting cast. And I also like to think I'm someone lol
    That's fair, sorry. I just don't see what's the point of the character personally. She just seems like a half-baked concoction of ideas/concepts that doesn't really coalesce together.
    TBH, I have no recollection who this person is, either.
    Considering you seem to have read the Dixon run, that kind of surprises me unless you stopped around a certain point?
    Now if we just saw it in the comics...
    But it used actual content from the comics .

Extraordinary Member

They had Bruce actually running the foundation during the Bronze Age, and I'm not sure how long this went But I think it was for a good chunk of the 70s.

And I guess I Dick's case the foundation will also move out of focus once a new creative team takes over.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I think it's a joined problem. Taylor doesn't give the citizens and with that the city a personality except for "inherently good and not the problem" while Blüdhaven is still supposed to be this cesspool, and Redondo draws the most computer-generated backgrounds. Comics are a joined effort and the two of them are such good friends, they've done multiple comics together. If one of them wanted to give Blüdhaven more personality, they could easily work together to archive that.

They show they can work together to insert memes that don't fit the characters like Barbara wearing a shirt of Bruce slapping Dick, deep characterization, and thinking about consequences just isn't "funny" enough. Both never go beyond surface-level characterization for anything. It's not surprising that especially Blüdhaven, which has always struggled to find an identity, falls flat.
    Yeah Taylor only really does the bare minimum with the citizens.

I recall this early moment in Son of Kal where Jon rescues a boat of refugees, even learning a kids name. Heartwarming stuff and then the refugees never appear again.

Jon just dumps the boat they were on the dock and expects the police to help them. And later when there's a big protest over the refugees they still don't appear, instead it's about Jon giving a big sappy speech about he have to help people to showcase how big of a hero he is.

We never did see that little boy again for the rest of the run.

Nightwing and Super securing housing for several residents who would have nowhere else to go.
    Nightwing (1996-2009) 030-014.jpgNightwing (1996-2009) 030-018.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    Gawd! I know, right?! You'll never know who you might run into these days (LOL):

OMG! Two of my All-Time Favorites. Thanks for the memories, Frontier

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-26-2023 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.