Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
This can be considered as a good or bad thing because on one hand it was a horrible story and should have never lasted as long as it did, but on the other hand it proved Dick's selling power. I don't think many characters would have been able to sell enough books with such an awful story without being cancelled after like 10 issues.
It's a little of both, honestly. And no, I don't think most characters could have held onto sales like Dick did during the Ric saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
Ric sold consistently poor. At its highest it only sold around 30 and then it fell to all time lows. Attrition slowed because it was falling through its sales floor and they were heavily using tie-in to keep it a float. No one was rewarding DC, shops were just ordering based on the title and the constant tie-ins. It only went on as long as it did because Harras was able to put his people on it and 5g was going reboot the line.
It's been a while since I looked at the sales charts, so maybe I'm remembering wrong. But if memory serves, the title was only selling in the 30-35K range anyway when Ric first began, and didn't see that big a drop for the first....year?...or so.

I don't remember the specifics of the sales chart, but I *do* remember being annoyed that Ric was selling as well as it did, and having discussions here with folks about how we could support Nightwing without buying the title.