Page 36 of 147 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't see why you can't get both.
    Personally, I think we are.

That's fair, sorry. I just don't see what's the point of the character personally. She just seems like a half-baked concoction of ideas/concepts that doesn't really coalesce together.
    I think she makes a great addition to the supporting cast personally. Really fleshes his life out and gives it a bit more texture.

Considering you seem to have read the Dixon run, that kind of surprises me unless you stopped around a certain point?
    Admittedly it's been awhile, but I guess she just never left an impression lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They had Bruce actually running the foundation during the Bronze Age, and I'm not sure how long this went But I think it was for a good chunk of the 70s.
    Fair enough, I only really started reading regularly starting bat Batman Year One (I was 10 at the time, so... )

And I guess I Dick's case the foundation will also move out of focus once a new creative team takes over.
    It'd be a shame if it did. It's really been the only interesting thing done with his civilian identity since he became Nightwing.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 03-26-2023 at 11:22 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'm still waiting for Damian to show up in Nightwing. I can't believe it's taking this long.

Last edited by ayanestar; 03-26-2023 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Personally, I think we are.
    I don't feel like Bludhaven is near as distinct under Taylor as it was under Seeley beyond Dick refurbishing it into being a better city.
    I think she makes a great addition to the supporting cast personally. Really fleshes his life out and gives it a bit more texture.
    I don't think they feel near as close or connected enough for that to get across in my opinion.
    I still remember that issue where she gets ambushed by several corrupt cops and survives a shootout with them!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Gawd! I know, right?! You'll never know who you might run into these days (LOL):

OMG! Two of my All-Time Favorites. Thanks for the memories, Frontier

Those are some nice pages! Bruce as Matches in a cop bar talking about Dick in coded language has so much character.

Clancy and Amy were such good characters. They played off Dick in such distinctive ways. I can't believe anyone could forget them after reading the run. <3

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I'm still waiting for Damian to show up in Nightwing. I can't believe it's taking this long.

Same. I hope he'll appear soon. A one-shot like the one Dick and Jason got would be nice or maybe C.S. Pacat can write a second backup but with Dick & Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I can't say Melinda has left much of an impression on me and I wish Taylor had used Sonia instead. But I'm also biased; I want to see older characters brought back and used again rather than new ones being made. I've seen this title restart from scratch too many times, with too many good ideas/characters forgotten. Sonia was great and had a solid hook that Melinda is largely just copying, and there's not much reason Sonia couldn't be doing exactly what Melinda is but with the added weight of a little more history behind her. But that said, Melinda hasn't been as bad an addition as I feared she would be and I don't dislike her.

It's been like, twenty five years since Dixon. I liked Clancy and all the other people in that apartment building quite a bit, and I can't remember a single detail about any of them. I'd forgotten Clancy almost entirely until Taylor brought her back.

Fair enough, I only really started reading regularly starting bat Batman Year One (I was 10 at the time, so... )
    It's said, occasionally, that Bruce is very involved in Gotham's social projects and charities. The difference is that Taylor has made this the driving force of Dick's narrative, while with Batman it's rarely been given any spotlight in the last few decades. We don't see it even if it's "officially" happening. And Dick's also had, within this run, more of an obvious impact on his city. That's kinda been the whole deal; Nightwing, the hero who actually made a difference where he lives!

I don't feel like Bludhaven is near as distinct under Taylor as it was under Seeley beyond Dick refurbishing it into being a better city.
    Blud Vegas was indeed an inspired concept and perfect for Nightwing. I miss it. But I'm also enjoying watching Taylor build up from the Dixon foundation. I'd rather have Seeley's version back but I'm not hating what we have.

Problem with Nightwing ever since the original Blud was nuked is a lack of consistency. Every writer just dumped whatever came before and reinvented the wheel, instead of building and developing what they had. I mean, how many new versions of the city have we seen? How many times has Dick gone there for the "first" time? If Taylor is doing what I think he is, then he's playing a longer game than DC has allowed in the past and trying to integrate Dick's character into the city in a way future writers won't be able to sideline easily. Who knows whether it'll actually stick, but I'm guessing that's Taylor's goal and he's been smart enough to know that you can't rush that.

I still don't like him being independently wealthy. Doesn't feel like Dick Grayson to me. But a normal person civilian job is even worse. Dick Grayson cannot be held down by some 9-5. Man's gotta fly free, and Alfred's cash allows that, so.....good enough, I guess.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I still don't like him being independently wealthy. Doesn't feel like Dick Grayson to me. But a normal person civilian job is even worse. Dick Grayson cannot be held down by some 9-5. Man's gotta fly free, and Alfred's cash allows that, so.....good enough, I guess.
    He was wealthy pre flashpoint, he bough the Haly Circus when they had financial problems, and iirc he bought he secretly bought the apartment building in Dixon's run (I'm not sure why).
    And like I said the jobs he took where basically him being undercover, he didn't need the money.

I still remember that issue where she gets ambushed by several corrupt cops and survives a shootout with them!
    Yeah! That was intense. Hope the kids weren't too badly scarred by the experience...

Blud Vegas was indeed an inspired concept and perfect for Nightwing.
    I concur. So much potential, similar to the Thomas Wayne version of Gotham City from FlashPoint

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-27-2023 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Amy had 33 appearances in Nightwing vol 2, is one of the most important characters in the character's most famous run. She should have reappeared by now, but the writers who claim to love Nightwing never seem to have read Nightwing. His last appearance was in Nightwing 113, before Didio blasted Bludhaven.
    Nightwing (1996-2009) 113-010.jpg

He was wealthy pre flashpoint, he bough the Haly Circus when they had financial problems, and iirc he bought he secretly bought the apartment building in Dixon's run (I'm not sure why).
    As I recall he wanted the whole building for his gear, it was basically his Batcave, and he didn't want neighbors who might get caught in the crossfire if villains found his "lair."

Something like that, I think?

And yeah, Dick's had money before. I'm generally not a fan of it. If he owned Haly's and that was the source of his income, okay. That's perfectly fine, and what I'd like to see. But that's not "Bruce Wayne" rich, it's not "trust fund baby" rich.

And like I said the jobs he took where basically him being undercover, he didn't need the money.
    Been a long time since I read Dixon, but I recall him needing cash and a job? And yeah, the jobs Dixon gave him were basically undercover gigs and I got nothing against that, but normal jobs do not fit Dick Grayson and I don't want him trying to hold one down. Undercover is one thing, that's acceptable, but Dick wasn't made for punching a clock.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What this be a fair thing to say when it comes to outside of the comics with dick. While he is used Batman related media. He is often more used as a supporting cast member. For example, dcamu is often shown much later in the films. Even in tv animated shows he is often more treated like a special guest using him limited but never fully sidelined like Babs. Even in Harley Quinn he is treated more like a guest star and doesn't show up all that much. His most used appearances are like titans and YJ. Would that be a fair thing to say. Since even the black labels kind of follow this pattern and I know writers do have more freedom
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 03-27-2023 at 07:42 AM.

Don't think you're wrong. But not sure why you'd expect different? In a Batman story Dick *is* a supporting character, and gets treated like one. Which is right and proper because it's not a Nightwing story, it's a Batman story. In the Titans, he's part of an ensemble so he gets more screen time; a co-lead instead of a supporting character. Which is also right and proper because he's the biggest draw the franchise has.

~ Black Panther.

Don't think you're wrong. But not sure why you'd expect different? In a Batman story Dick *is* a supporting character, and gets treated like one. Which is right and proper because it's not a Nightwing story, it's a Batman story. In the Titans, he's part of an ensemble so he gets more screen time; a co-lead instead of a supporting character. Which is also right and proper because he's the biggest draw the franchise has.
    You are right what I mean is and I forget to add this. Is shouldn't batgirl be more used so
    Instead of Dick all the time being the supporting cast we get Babs since she been sidelined recently in animation. I'm thinking given how much more he even doesn't show up or has a less role wouldn't it be better that Babs takes his spot in a sense . The issue is more of wouldn't it make more sense for Babs to show up a lot more than dick and he is treated more like a surprised guest.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Amy had 33 appearances in Nightwing vol 2, is one of the most important characters in the character's most famous run. She should have reappeared by now, but the writers who claim to love Nightwing never seem to have read Nightwing. His last appearance was in Nightwing 113, before Didio blasted Bludhaven.
    Nightwing (1996-2009) 113-010.jpg
    She was also in season 1 of titans and was killed off

As I recall he wanted the whole building for his gear, it was basically his Batcave, and he didn't want neighbors who might get caught in the crossfire if villains found his "lair."
    Since Dick is rich again they might as well have him buy a building and use the penthouse for his base the way he was using the penthouse of Wayne Tower(?) as his Batcave during the DickBats era:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Since Dick is rich again they might as well have him buy a building and use the penthouse for his base the way he was using the penthouse of Wayne Tower(?) as his Batcave during the DickBats era:

The building he is living currently is already his and it's basically his base.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.