Page 39 of 147 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    She did help him take down Blockbuster and the man who killed his parents, but okay.
    That's not really character-based or relevant to them needing a familial relationship connection.
    Okay, let's not pretend that this hasn't happened to other superheroes before.
    That doesn't really make it better.
    Like I said, he literally just found out she existed. And I think helping taking out two major crime figures is a great bonding moment, personally! LOL
    Not emotionally any more than it does literally all the other people Dick fights crime with. She doesn't need to be his half-sister for that. And it's not even just that but also just the stuff around her background and relationships feels clumsily executed.
    It's more like the lack of contrived drama, which is what entirely hampered it before. During this period, I always thought Ted Kord would've made for a better partner for Babs than Dick. Dick always just seemed to be pining away at a woman who always just seemed to want him at arm's length. Ted at least had a chance of making her laugh.
    Eschewing contrived drama for literally no drama...which, I don't want to see the characters be miserable or seem incapable of happy relationships, but friction is sometimes a natural part of building on a successful relationship in my opinion.

Dick and Babs were pretty massive flirts back in that era (which was building up to their romance). The trapeze moment made it obvious how much these two wanted each other.
    The sheer simplicity of it kind of signaled to me that they were both past whatever contrived reasons they had not to be together. Quite frankly, it was a breath of fresh air. This is literally the only time I've ever rooted for them as a couple.
    But it feels lacking in depth to me because of that, and I'm saying this as someone who was invested in the relationship from it's conception during the Dixon years.
    Sporadic is fine. Leaving any sort of impression is better.
    The Gotham Knights issue stood out to me a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Remember how Higgins tried to give us an Elseworld story, and quite a lot of Nightwing fans complained how it's out of character for Dick? It's no wonder we aren't getting a Black Label title. The same fans claim that Grayson was the worst thing ever happening to him lmao.
    I wonder how people would react to New World Order today.

The funniest thing to happen to the character in recent years was him being the vampire king, but that was short-lived in a pretty mediocre story.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Dick is not giving away money, he would be dumb to do that, any more than he has been.
    From issue #83: "My name is Dick Grayson. I've just become a billionaire. But I don't believe any one person should have so much when so many have so little. So I'm giving it away."

It takes a long time and considerable effort to give away a fortune. If you would like a real example, MacKenzie Scott has spoken at length about finding the most impactful ways of doing so. That doesn't really matter, since this is superhero comics and the wealth is fictional. What matters is the principle behind Dick's actions.

So he's really dumb, good job Taylor.

Yeah, giving money to the poor is so dumb. /s

A billion dollars is an insane amount of money, he could spent $100,000 every single day for 25 years. And we don't know how many billions he has. The interest rate of the bank alone would probably making him a profit without any work. 1% of one Billion is 10 million a month.

And the most important thing of all, his money is fictional anyways.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

This is so ridiculous. Not a fan of this new retcon.

Spoilers for Batman 134

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

That was a coincidence, nothing more, at least i see it that way

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This is so ridiculous. Not a fan of this new retcon.

Spoilers for Batman 134

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I feel like every Robin has gotten something like this at some point.

I like the explanation of how Dick's mother nicknamed him Robin, but if they start to give that to other Robins as well, it kinda takes away its original meaning. However, I shouldn't be too surprised because Dick is never allowed to have something for himself lmao.

Not pulling Batman at the moment. What is this that's going on?

I like the costume. The "R" is a little much.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    So he's really dumb, good job Taylor.
    Is he dumb for sharing his wealth? For helping others in need?

This is a man who stumbled upon his wealth - he was adopted by a wealthy man, then that man's butler/father figure grew to love him like a son, and left him billions. Is Dick more entitled to superfluous comforts than a homeless kid is to basic living standards?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not pulling Batman at the moment. What is this that's going on?

I like the costume. The "R" is a little much.
    Tim went and saw an alternate universe version of his mom because he missed her. Then pic related happens.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like every Robin has gotten something like this at some point.
    No. The term Robin having an additional emotional significance other than a hero name and Robin having special/personal meaning to one of the Bat kid's mother was exclusive to Dick Grayson and his mother.

I guess he forgot to tell her it he wasn't the one who choose the name. But whatever, it's not like people will remember about this in a month anyways.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I like the explanation of how Dick's mother nicknamed him Robin, but if they start to give that to other Robins as well, it kinda takes away its original meaning. However, I shouldn't be too surprised because Dick is never allowed to have something for himself lmao.
    My thoughts exactly. I really liked that as an explanation for Dick choosing the name. It made it personal. Robin means a lot to all the inheritors however for Dick it had that extra special meaning that could never be passed on [unlike the mantle itself]
    Last edited by dietrich; 04-04-2023 at 11:46 AM.