Page 12 of 147 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Why does it have to be the worst possible outcome. I did not want to wait 10 years for a boy to grow up and become Nightwing. So if we can just jump into it with him in Bludhaven then why not. His origins can be show down the road in a flashback.

Do people see the titans as Dick Grayson crowing achievement? They have 2 notable storylines. That’s it . It’s been downhill for them for the last 20 years. He has had more wins and succes as a solo character. Additionally I see his agent 37 role having an opportunity to be used since it’s a field of DC that lacks in the comics but the films will need.

Honestly DC has been setting this stage for a while . Deathstroke been obsessed With Bruce and Damian for the last 13 years. There is material that can be worked for him in a teen Titans position.
    What are you talking about?

Incredible Member

So far this is starting to sound like best case scenario. Dicks Robin would have been a harder sell than Damien and him as Nightwing could be pretty popular. No too mention if you start with Dick, it would take a whole series of films to show his journey and then odds are there wouldn’t be a lot of time to introduce other new characters. The GA is familiar enough to accept that Nightwing was the OG Robin. We can get his time fleshed out in flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    So far this is starting to sound like best case scenario. Dicks Robin would have been a harder sell than Damien and him as Nightwing could be pretty popular. No too mention if you start with Dick, it would take a whole series of films to show his journey and then odds are there wouldn’t be a lot of time to introduce other new characters. The GA is familiar enough to accept that Nightwing was the OG Robin. We can get his time fleshed out in flashback.
    Nobody cares about slow-burns any more, it seems.

I'm not a patient person, and I also have my doubts about this new DCEU lasting longer than 10 years. The sooner we get to see Robin (and hopefully Dick) on the big screen, the better. It's a miracle we even got to this point. I'm more curious about Gunn's take on Superman and the overall timeline. I hope we will get more information soon.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A slow burn in one thing. Trying to fit in 60 yrs of continuity in one film series just isn’t feasible. What works in comics can’t be translated to film directly. Even if this new Bruce actor signs 5 film deal, if there’s teams up films, this three films would barely only take us to Jason.

As a fan of Graysons journey from Robin to Nightwing, but to be honest Damian is the modern Robin. I know Tim is a lot of peoples favorite but his dynamic with Bruce is much more bland than Damien’s. Damien as a modern edge and also has instant marketability of being Bruce’s son.

On top of that, while some will get shafted, everyone has a chance of seeing their favorite Batfam character.

Incredible Member

Also pretty pumped we get a more super hero version of the mythology. Morrisons run is an iconic Batman. I really liked Reeves take a well, but it will be nice to get something fresh and new.

Extraordinary Member

I mean, Iron Man was a bit bland, too, and look what they did with that. That said, "the edge" is exactly what I don't like about him. Batman has enough edge for three people.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, Iron Man was a bit bland, too, and look what they did with that. That said, "the edge" is exactly what I don't like about him. Batman has enough edge for three people.
    Personally, I love Damian and his backstory. I also think there’s a lot you can do with Talia and Ras. I think he’s a perfect choice. Honestly, this Bruce will more thank likely be a bit more grounded and less edgy since he’s raising a son.

I don’t want them to change Dick like they did Iron Man. He’s already perfect for a movie as Nightwing. Its the getting people to sit through a trilogy just to see that journey that I don’t think would work. Even if it did, we would probably never get Damian or Jason because Dicks story took too long.

As long as Dick appears and is competent, we should be happy. We should be happy there’s a Robin. It’s too much to ask for them to build an entire Batfranchise on Dick Graysons journey.

Can't speak for anyone else but it's not that I don't care for slow burns, it's that I'm tired of waiting on DC and I don't know if they could pull it off anyway.

We've had ten years of the DCEU. A whole decade, and not only did they fail to get a Robin in action, they couldn't even get a solo Batman film into theaters (thank the gods for Reeve and Pattison).

In a perfect world I'd rather see a whole Batman & Robin trilogy, culminating in Dick becoming Nightwing and launching a new trilogy of solo films. But y'know...I'm tired of waiting and getting nothing for it. And as rewarding as a few trilogies would be, I have no reason thus far to think WB could pull it off. This company has been nothing but chaos and flame for years, sold and resold, shuffled and reshuffled, and while I really hope all of that is over there's no telling whether Gunn will last long enough to see his vision unfold. Even if he's the right guy for the job, he could be gone by this time next year. In any case, if Gunn/Safran have a plan that can get me a viable, proper Nightwing movie sooner rather than later, I'm all for it.

I did my waiting! Twelve years of it!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I liked Iron Man before it was cool .

I even liked teen Iron Man .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else but it's not that I don't care for slow burns, it's that I'm tired of waiting on DC and I don't know if they could pull it off anyway.

We've had ten years of the DCEU. A whole decade, and not only did they fail to get a Robin in action, they couldn't even get a solo Batman film into theaters (thank the gods for Reeve and Pattison).

In a perfect world I'd rather see a whole Batman & Robin trilogy, culminating in Dick becoming Nightwing and launching a new trilogy of solo films. But y'know...I'm tired of waiting and getting nothing for it. And as rewarding as a few trilogies would be, I have no reason thus far to think WB could pull it off. This company has been nothing but chaos and flame for years, sold and resold, shuffled and reshuffled, and while I really hope all of that is over there's no telling whether Gunn will last long enough to see his vision unfold. Even if he's the right guy for the job, he could be gone by this time next year. In any case, if Gunn/Safran have a plan that can get me a viable, proper Nightwing movie sooner rather than later, I'm all for it.

I did my waiting! Twelve years of it!
    Oh, I totally want to see the Batfamily. I just also want to see the progression is all.

Incredible Member

I liked Iron Man before it was cool .

I even liked teen Iron Man .

Oh, I totally want to see the Batfamily. I just also want to see the progression is all.
    Most people would like to see the progression but unfortunately that’s not feasible. It’d take too long and may fail because of just how many movies it’d take. At least you start out this way and it’s more likely to succeed just because it’s so different than what people are used to seeing.

In terms of exposure outside the comics? He absolutely is treated the redheaded middle stepchild.
    Creators don’t seem interested in using him outside of comics. Which is why you are currently seeing a big sweeping change to him. It’s an effort to make him more generally appealing with today’s sensibilities.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-02-2023 at 05:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Most people would like to see the progression but unfortunately that’s not feasible. It’d take too long and may fail because of just how many movies it’d take. At least you start out this way and it’s more likely to succeed just because it’s so different than what people are used to seeing.
    I dunno, I think there's an honesty to "we want to do the Bat Family, so we'll do the Bat Family" - rather than saving what you want for a hypothetical Film 6 or whatever. That kind of deferred gratification has been a curse of "shared universe" cinema in recent years!

An existing Comic Book Mythology can be an appeal of its own, when done right - you don't need to start from scratch each time. "Green Lantern Rebirth" is a better way to sell someone on the universe than "Secret Origin". Or, at least, that's what worked for me!

Incredible Member

Nightwing #100 apparently sold incredibly well.
    The (not perfect, of course) ICV2 sale chart places it as the #4 best-selling book of the month, and #1 by dollars -
    https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...s-janaury-2023

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Creators don’t seem interested in using him outside of comics. Which is why you are currently seeing a big sweeping change to him. It’s an effort to make him more generally appealing with today’s sensibilities.
    I don't think Tim generally as a character isn't appealing to today's sensibilities, but I guess they definitely try to get more eyeballs on him by making him come off more diverse, execution issues aside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I dunno, I think there's an honesty to "we want to do the Bat Family, so we'll do the Bat Family" - rather than saving what you want for a hypothetical Film 6 or whatever. That kind of deferred gratification has been a curse of "shared universe" cinema in recent years!

An existing Comic Book Mythology can be an appeal of its own, when done right - you don't need to start from scratch each time. "Green Lantern Rebirth" is a better way to sell someone on the universe than "Secret Origin". Or, at least, that's what worked for me!
    Maybe we'll still get an animated movie out of Dark Victory. Assuming they don't give Tomorrow-verse Batman his Robin completely off-screen.