Page 37 of 147 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Cass also had a base in Bludhaven, Alfred gave it to her if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Cass also had a base in Bludhaven, Alfred gave it to her if I'm not mistaken.
    I'm curious has to why she needs base there

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious has to why she needs base there
    She lived and worked in Bludhaven, until Didio exploded to try kill Dick and turn Jason into Nightwing.

She moved there after the War Games
    Batgirl (2000-2006) 060-018.jpg

Probably one of the few Cass and Alfred interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably one of the few Cass and Alfred interactions.
    Not quite the same thing, but I remember this scene from Gotham Knights #45

Incredible Member

A charitable foundation is a good fit for Dick. He’s a social worker at heart. I always thought Bruce should have put him in charge of the Martha Wayne Foundation, giving him the chance to travel the world, and help people in any number of ways. The current foundation, based in the ‘Haven, will be a little more limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I concur. So much potential, similar to the Thomas Wayne version of Gotham City from FlashPoint

What a lost potential for a team-up!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What this be a fair thing to say when it comes to outside of the comics with dick. While he is used Batman related media. He is often more used as a supporting cast member. For example, dcamu is often shown much later in the films. Even in tv animated shows he is often more treated like a special guest using him limited but never fully sidelined like Babs. Even in Harley Quinn he is treated more like a guest star and doesn't show up all that much. His most used appearances are like titans and YJ. Would that be a fair thing to say. Since even the black labels kind of follow this pattern and I know writers do have more freedom
    I think it's obviously fair that he's a supporting character in a Batman-centric story but his role is oftentimes even more limited than in modern comics. The multifaceted relationship he has with other characters rarely comes through. A lot of times he's just the soldier in Bruce's crusade.

That's interesting! I read a later issue recently in which it sounded like Bruce send her to Blüdhaven.

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    A charitable foundation is a good fit for Dick. He’s a social worker at heart. I always thought Bruce should have put him in charge of the Martha Wayne Foundation, giving him the chance to travel the world, and help people in any number of ways. The current foundation, based in the ‘Haven, will be a little more limiting.
    That would be a nice idea. I'd just like Dick to meaningfully interact with the people he helps, please.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think they feel near as close or connected enough for that to get across in my opinion.
    Another point I have to disagree with you on.

I still remember that issue where she gets ambushed by several corrupt cops and survives a shootout with them!
    You know, you'd think something like that would've left an impression on me lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's been like, twenty five years since Dixon. I liked Clancy and all the other people in that apartment building quite a bit, and I can't remember a single detail about any of them. I'd forgotten Clancy almost entirely until Taylor brought her back.
    Dixon was great at world building when he started the series. With the exception of Tim Drake, though, I've always felt his characterization a bit lacking.

It's said, occasionally, that Bruce is very involved in Gotham's social projects and charities. The difference is that Taylor has made this the driving force of Dick's narrative, while with Batman it's rarely been given any spotlight in the last few decades. We don't see it even if it's "officially" happening. And Dick's also had, within this run, more of an obvious impact on his city. That's kinda been the whole deal; Nightwing, the hero who actually made a difference where he lives!
    And ultimately that's the issue. In the Bat books, Bruce's charity is often times told and not shown. And when it is shown, Lucius is usually sorting out the details.

If Taylor is doing what I think he is, then he's playing a longer game than DC has allowed in the past and trying to integrate Dick's character into the city in a way future writers won't be able to sideline easily.
    Fingers crossed! Because it's been great so far!

I still don't like him being independently wealthy. Doesn't feel like Dick Grayson to me. But a normal person civilian job is even worse. Dick Grayson cannot be held down by some 9-5. Man's gotta fly free, and Alfred's cash allows that, so.....good enough, I guess.
    A charitable foundation is a good fit for Dick. He’s a social worker at heart.
    I have to agree. None of the normal person jobs ever worked for him. It seemed as if very little thought was really given to any of them or if there was, you could tell it was clearly temporary.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Another point I have to disagree with you on.
    Well, they just feel weirdly clinical towards each other or not sure what to do because of the weird familial situation, so beyond working together they don't feel particularly close to me and I feel like having to work that out just makes the character hard to really get a feel for.

But that's just me.
    You know, you'd think something like that would've left an impression on me lol
    That's why I'm surprised .
    Dixon was great at world building when he started the series. With the exception of Tim Drake, though, I've always felt his characterization a bit lacking.
    Personally I feel like a lot of the Batfamily's modern characterizations (particularly Dick and Babs) date back to his writing, which you can feel even in Taylor's work.
    And ultimately that's the issue. In the Bat books, Bruce's charity is often times told and not shown. And when it is shown, Lucius is usually sorting out the details.
    I remember loving that Gotham Knights issue that was basically a "Day in the Life" of Bruce Wayne that shows all of the stuff Bruce actually does.

Extraordinary Member

Well, they just feel weirdly clinical towards each other or not sure what to do because of the weird familial situation, so beyond working together they don't feel particularly close to me and I feel like having to work that out just makes the character hard to really get a feel for.
    I mean, they literally just met each other and they've had to deal with a lot in the days that've happened since (taking down Blockbuster, etc.). That said, his introduction to her and her mother I felt were particularly well done. I was wary on the "now he has a sister" plotline, but Taylor pulled it off really well and I don't doubt that we'll see a further building of their relationship in the future.

Personally I feel like a lot of the Batfamily's modern characterizations (particularly Dick and Babs) date back to his writing, which you can feel even in Taylor's work.
    I never cared for the Dick and Babs ship until Taylor, tbh. Pre-Taylor (especially during Dixon's days) just really seemed forced to me.

I remember loving that Gotham Knights issue that was basically a "Day in the Life" of Bruce Wayne that shows all of the stuff Bruce actually does.
    And that's what we should get more of. And I wish we did because (for the most part) it's just a whole lot of telling and not showing.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, they literally just met each other and they've had to deal with a lot in the days that've happened since (taking down Blockbuster, etc.). That said, his introduction to her and her mother I felt were particularly well done. I was wary on the "now he has a sister" plotline, but Taylor pulled it off really well and I don't doubt that we'll see a further building of their relationship in the future.
    Yeah, but it's been how many issues since they properly introduced her? And it doesn't really feel like much has really been done with it.

I didn't particularly like the introduction myself. Dick gets hit and unmasked like a complete rookie by some newbies (I think the justification was he was off his game because he had just fought Heartless or something but still), suddenly she's his half-sister from his father and raised by the man who murdered his parents but she feels so distant from either side that it doesn't really feel that meaningful beyond showing how John Grayson was that good a man and Tony Zucco is still terrible.
    I never cared for the Dick and Babs ship until Taylor, tbh. Pre-Taylor (especially during Dixon's days) just really seemed forced to me.
    I don't see what's so different about how Taylor is writing it compared to past depictions. I guess the complete lack of drama? Babs being able to be with him as Batgirl instead of just Oracle?

The sheer simplicity of how it happened in this run felt a tad forced to me, even if I get why he did it, but that's just my take on it.
    And that's what we should get more of. And I wish we did because (for the most part) it's just a whole lot of telling and not showing.
    Well, it is shown sporadically on-panel across the years.

I can't see any scenarios where Dixon made it look forced and Taylor did it better.
    Birds of Prey 008 (1999) (digital-Empire) 016.jpg

Taylor has ignored everything that's happened between them over the last few years.

I can't see any scenarios where Dixon made it look forced and Taylor did it better.
    Birds of Prey 008 (1999) (digital-Empire) 016.jpg

Taylor has ignored everything that's happened between them over the last few years.
    Well, arguably you can kind of understand that in the sense that it was a bunch of relationship BS (even from a plot perspective it made their sudden hookup so simple by comparison).

Incredible Member

I agree, this is the perfect civilian job for Nightwing. Matches his personality while also not limiting the story. Future writers can continue to explore it or leave it in the background and ignore it. Either way it gives an explanation how Dick is able to afford his life and super hero activates.

Plus, I kind of like seeing Dick with money. Cool to see him with some social status and influence as Dick Grayson.

My least favorite parts of Nightwing runs have been his boring civilian jobs. Even him being a cop felt weird to me.