Page 38 of 147 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Been a long time since I read Dixon, but I recall him needing cash and a job?
    I don't remember that, he became the Bartender in the Cop bar to get intel on the cops, and then decided to become a cop to get deeper into it.

If he took a job for money that was likely a later run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but it's been how many issues since they properly introduced her? And it doesn't really feel like much has really been done with it.

I didn't particularly like the introduction myself. Dick gets hit and unmasked like a complete rookie by some newbies (I think the justification was he was off his game because he had just fought Heartless or something but still), suddenly she's his half-sister from his father and raised by the man who murdered his parents but she feels so distant from either side that it doesn't really feel that meaningful beyond showing how John Grayson was that good a man and Tony Zucco is still terrible.

I don't see what's so different about how Taylor is writing it compared to past depictions. I guess the complete lack of drama? Babs being able to be with him as Batgirl instead of just Oracle?

The sheer simplicity of how it happened in this run felt a tad forced to me, even if I get why he did it, but that's just my take on it.

Well, it is shown sporadically on-panel across the years.
    Agreed. The introduction was incredibly bad. Even more so Dick's reaction after being unmasked made him look like a rookie. That neither Babs nor Dick could see Audrey stand right next to the window was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't remember that, he became the Bartender in the Cop bar to get intel on the cops, and then decided to become a cop to get deeper into it.

I could swear I've read a run or two where he basically eschews Bruce's money for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Actually, he became a bartender for two reasons. Cause it was a cops bar, so he could get intel there, and cause he needed money at the time.

It was only later, in issue 13, that he learned about his parents trust fund from Bruce and how Lucius made it into a foturne. After that, money was not issue. If i'm not mistaken, he brought the building he lived in so people wouldn't get evicted.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I agree, this is the perfect civilian job for Nightwing. Matches his personality while also not limiting the story. Future writers can continue to explore it or leave it in the background and ignore it. Either way it gives an explanation how Dick is able to afford his life and super hero activates.

Plus, I kind of like seeing Dick with money. Cool to see him with some social status and influence as Dick Grayson.

My least favorite parts of Nightwing runs have been his boring civilian jobs. Even him being a cop felt weird to me.
    One team-up that was amazing, but I think has only happened ONCE? Nightwing and Livewire. It was a Superman comic, so they're both helping Superman deal with the Auctioneer, but... it was really cool the way they worked together.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It was only later, in issue 13, that he learned about his parents trust fund from Bruce and how Lucius made it into a foturne. After that, money was not issue. If i'm not mistaken, he brought the building he lived in so people wouldn't get evicted.
    Ok maybe I misrember it.

But I'm at least pretty sure he bought Haley Circus all the way back in A Lonley Place of Dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Actually, he became a bartender for two reasons. Cause it was a cops bar, so he could get intel there, and cause he needed money at the time.

It was only later, in issue 13, that he learned about his parents trust fund from Bruce and how Lucius made it into a fortune. After that, money was not an issue. If i'm not mistaken, he bought the building he lived in so people wouldn't get evicted.
    LOL! "Halley Enterprises". From Nightwing #21, here's proof...

Then in Nightwing #31, "Haly Industries" prevents a rent-hike...

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-01-2023 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

It's kind of impressive that Nightwing despite being one of DC's most popular characters has never earned even a measly Black Label.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    It's kind of impressive that Nightwing despite being one of DC's most popular characters has never earned even a measly Black Label.
    He doesn't really need one though, especially when his book is as amazing as it is at the moment.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, but it's been how many issues since they properly introduced her? And it doesn't really feel like much has really been done with it.
    She did help him take down Blockbuster and the man who killed his parents, but okay.

I didn't particularly like the introduction myself. Dick gets hit and unmasked like a complete rookie by some newbies...
    Okay, let's not pretend that this hasn't happened to other superheroes before.

...suddenly she's his half-sister from his father and raised by the man who murdered his parents but she feels so distant from either side that it doesn't really feel that meaningful beyond showing how John Grayson was that good a man and Tony Zucco is still terrible.
    Like I said, he literally just found out she existed. And I think helping taking out two major crime figures is a great bonding moment, personally! LOL

I don't see what's so different about how Taylor is writing it compared to past depictions. I guess the complete lack of drama? Babs being able to be with him as Batgirl instead of just Oracle?
    It's more like the lack of contrived drama, which is what entirely hampered it before. During this period, I always thought Ted Kord would've made for a better partner for Babs than Dick. Dick always just seemed to be pining away at a woman who always just seemed to want him at arm's length. Ted at least had a chance of making her laugh.

The sheer simplicity of how it happened in this run felt a tad forced to me, even if I get why he did it, but that's just my take on it.
    The sheer simplicity of it kind of signaled to me that they were both past whatever contrived reasons they had not to be together. Quite frankly, it was a breath of fresh air. This is literally the only time I've ever rooted for them as a couple.

Well, it is shown sporadically on-panel across the years.
    Sporadic is fine. Leaving any sort of impression is better.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Sporadic is fine. Leaving any sort of impression is better.
    From what I got, what Dick is doing here with his Alfred company is pretty 1:1 with Bruce's own charity endeavors.

A lot of nice speeches about about how we should do better and non-descript programs that will help the city that aren't really delved into beyond surface level stuff.

I remember Tynion's Batman run starting out with Bruce announcing a lot of new construction efforts, but beyond a lot of new buildings being bult in the background it was actually unclear what exactly he was building before it all got cancelled once Joker threw Gotham in another city-wide gang war.

Granted all this is pretty reoccurring with Taylor's writing. He's a pretty surface level guy.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    I don't think editorial is against it, it's simply that the character wouldn't lend himself well to that so they must not have gotten an interesting pitch. There's a certain wholesomeness to Dick's character that makes it a hard conversion to that format.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    It's more like the lack of contrived drama, which is what entirely hampered it before.
    This is a big reason why this run is such a delight. Someone elsewhere mentioned how we used to endure a new civilian love interest every single Nightwing run, and that it was a pointless exercise, because no one believed it would stick. Now that that pattern is done, I can't believe I suffered through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    From what I got, what Dick is doing here with his Alfred company is pretty 1:1 with Bruce's own charity endeavors.
    Well, Dick isn't doing charity or philantropy as Bruce used to do: he's giving the money away. It's a difference in magnitude; not that it matters in fictional numbers. How his reworking of the prison system or his shelter for the homeless are structured are not particularly important to the reader - what matters to Taylor's point is that he's not keeping it, which is in character for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    I don't think editorial is against it, it's simply that the character wouldn't lend himself well to that so they must not have gotten an interesting pitch. There's a certain wholesomeness to Dick's character that makes it a hard conversion to that format.
    So Priest is right. Readers are the character's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    Well, Dick isn't doing charity or philantropy as Bruce used to do: he's giving the money away. It's a difference in magnitude; not that it matters in fictional numbers. How his reworking of the prison system or his shelter for the homeless are structured are not particularly important to the reader - what matters to Taylor's point is that he's not keeping it, which is in character for him.
    Dick is not giving away money, he would be dumb to do that, any more than he has been. He spoke to Lucius, so he could make the money spin and not run out in a week.

Remember how Higgins tried to give us an Elseworld story, and quite a lot of Nightwing fans complained how it's out of character for Dick? It's no wonder we aren't getting a Black Label title. The same fans claim that Grayson was the worst thing ever happening to him lmao.