Page 138 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2197
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    I wouldn't mind if dick kept the belt and made it blue
    I didn’t like those titans X men belts
    Also it’s very much Batman beyond

Francesco Francavilla is drawing the back-up story that starts in February. Is this the first time he draws Dick Grayson since Black Mirror?

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Francesco Francavilla is drawing the back-up story that starts in February. Is this the first time he draws Dick Grayson since Black Mirror?

I wonder if this is going to be a more tense backup instead of the cutesy family stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if this is going to be a more tense backup instead of the cutesy family stuff.
    lol I can't think of Francavilla doing something like Wayne Adventures. But it's about revenge, so it's definitely not cutesy.
    Also, just notice that is in the past, so i guess he is not drawing Nightwing? Not even William Cobb.

NIGHTWING #111

Written by TOM TAYLOR
    Art by SAMI BASRI

Backup written by MICHAEL W. CONRAD
    Backup art by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Something’s very wrong with Nightwing and it’s starting to catch up to him. Can the world’s greatest detective help him figure out what’s going on before it’s too late?

Plus: The Plague has left 14th Century Europe in chaos, as a young man known only as the Son of Gray hunts the man who killed his father. A story of revenge, told in two parts.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I've just re-read Robin Year One and Batgirl Year One, and something that surprised me is how much of rule-breaker Dick is. There are at least four or five significant moments in both stories where he does something explicitly against Bruce's orders or without him knowing. He doesn't do it with any malice and he's not a troublemaker by any means, he has a rigid determination and a fierce sense of good. Even when Bruce tells Dick that he should follow orders even if it means letting him die, I don't get the sense that Dick fully accepts that and is willing to abide by it.

In Batman the Animated Series, Dick disobeys Bruce and goes after Tonny Zucco on his own.

In Detective Comics #38, Bruce recruits Dick for the sole purpose of bringing his parents' murderers to justice. In most of the golden age Batman and Robin stuff I have, Dick is a loyal partner, he doesn't exactly go behind Bruce's back to the point where it's ingrained in his characterization.

When I started collecting Batman stuff, it was the "New Gotham" era, and I honestly can't remember what Dick was up to, but when he appeared I always understood that he and Bruce were on good terms, former partners with a deep trust of one another; Dick always seemed fiercely loyal to Bruce. And of course I've read all the 70s, 80s, and 90s stuff, but not everything sticks.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this characterization of Dick as rulebreaker and someone with no issue disobeying Batman's rules or going behind his back a consistent aspect of his character? I feel like it is, and I've just missed it in some key eras that are more prominent in my memory. I feel like he's always seen as the "goody two shoes" Robin, the one who would follow Batman anywhere. But maybe it's his history with Bruce, his role as his first ever partner, that lets him get away with twisting or disobeying certain rules?

If anyone has more prominent examples of Dick as a rulebreaker, lying, going behind Bruce's back, please share!
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

At least in modern comics that show him as Robin, him being reckless and disobedient is quite normal, as his him getting benched by Batman because of it.
    That why I allways find it wired when people say Jason was a bad Robin because he was "reckless and disobedient", when that's pretty much the nor for all modern Robin stories.

When it comes to comics set at the current time of the main continuity his relation with Bruce was also pretty tense between from roughly the 80s to the mid 2000s. That's iirc also pretty in line with how it is in later seasons of the DCAU Batman series.

Jason was a bad Robin cause he was violent. You won't find any stories of Dick letting a criminal fall to their death, and worse, without us knowing if it was him or not that pushed the guy.

Someone on Reddit just dissed Discowing. Iconic superheroes with BAD original costumes. Shows Beast, Daredevil, Nightwing, Jericho, and Aztek. Beast was fair enough, it was a team uniform and he didn't have his iconic blue fur yet. And Daredevil's yellow was quickly swapped out for an all red suit. Jericho's hasn't aged well. Aztek I wouldn't call iconic so he shouldn't really be there. But Nightwing? Do you agree with them about that one? I mean, people call it Discowing for a reason, right?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/..._bad_original/
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-27-2023 at 04:56 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm pretty sure this already happened in the Golden Age. If I'm not mistaken, it knocks a guy off a building.

Here, it's almost like playing Gotham Knights, you throw guys off buildings, but gravity is the one who kills.......... I think
    k28l2ma0v2nb1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Here, it's almost like playing Gotham Knights, you throw guys off buildings, but gravity is the one who kills.......... I think
    k28l2ma0v2nb1.jpg
    lol of course it's in the Golden Age.

Well, let me redo my statement. You won't find, in a serious era (...)
    Last edited by Drako; 11-27-2023 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    lol of course it's in the Golden Age.

Well, let me redo my statement. You won't find, in a serious era (...)
    Unofficially, it's always been a suggestion. But, go back far enough and you get to the period where "no killing" was a suggestion.... officially.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    At least in modern comics that show him as Robin, him being reckless and disobedient is quite normal, as his him getting benched by Batman because of it.
    That why I allways find it wired when people say Jason was a bad Robin because he was "reckless and disobedient", when that's pretty much the nor for all modern Robin stories.
    People see Jason as the "bad" Robin, simply because he is the one that died shortly after taking over the mantle due to his "recklessness". He never really got a fair chance at being Robin and was quickly replaced by Tim. Dick gets to be the "golden child" because he successfully established himself as his own hero and eventually took over as Batman. Tim is the "smart" one and Damian is the biological son. Jason is basically left with being the "bad" Robin but hey at least he isn't forgotten like Steph. However, I wish they would bring back Dick's temper, dude was a menace when he got angry lmao.

Jason as the bad Robin is a narrative pushed to serve Red Hood.

Jason was Robin for how many years? He wasn't there for such a short time, he was pre-crisis and will only die post-crisis. I think his problem is that readers were already used to the older Robin (Dick was already going to college in the 70s, and being harassed by women), and coming into conflict with Batman, Jason was a return to a dynamics that perhaps Batman readers no longer wanted.
    NOTE: I think Jason's pre-Crisis origin is much better.