Page 42 of 147 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Dang....Tim once again is stealing from Dick.
    Honestly the 3 main male Robins all took from Dick and if niche fandom gets it's way Steph might just inherit/get a stint at Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The Garcia series she wasn't going to include Dick as Robin until Picolo convinced her to use him, right? She was only going to use Damian as Robin. Then she decided to use both. So it is tough to say how that series will go. All the one off art Picolo does in that style is apparently non canon to the story Garcia is writing. So it is this weird situation where the designs are the same but the story is different.
    I admit her initial plans were different but this is where the overwhelming interest in Dick from fans of the series comes into relevance.

Dc often undervalues the character but even they like money and need new growing markets. I doubt they won't milk the heck out of any characters/titles that manages to connect with YA audiences.

The rest of that Titans team all keep their hero mantle into adulthood except for Dick's Robin. Having him go from Robin to Nightwing [and making him one of the lead as well] means that any fans who know the Robin from GO! and the OG TT show now also get an easy intro to his current hero id. Nightwing

[QUOTE=dietrich;6429348]Honestly the 3 main male Robins all took from Dick and if niche fandom gets it's way Steph might just inherit/get a stint at Nightwing.[/QUOTE]
    Babs already beat her to it because DC Editorial got in the way for that Smallville comic.

Dick did appear in like the last issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The Garcia series she wasn't going to include Dick as Robin until Picolo convinced her to use him, right? She was only going to use Damian as Robin. Then she decided to use both. So it is tough to say how that series will go. All the one off art Picolo does in that style is apparently non canon to the story Garcia is writing. So it is this weird situation where the designs are the same but the story is different.
    Dick is part of the gang now in the Garcia series and they are going after Starfire.
    So he might play a big part on the next book, since Kory and Dick are always a thing when it's Titans related.
    Especially since Garcia's art heavily shipped them together.
    Indeed. Here's proof...

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-04-2023 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member

I think it is fine if the canon is different, but you still want to see the character in their iconic role. It was just interesting to me that the two solo OGNs Dick got he was kind of removed from being Robin or Nightwing proper in them.
    Yeah but especially in the Kids/YA OGNs they often not doing that.

Look at Damian he had the Super Son's thing where he was "Batboy" instead of Robin, and in the Kamo Garcia Books he is also not really a classic Robin imo.

Among the Batman OGNs (both Kids/YA and Black lable) you had also some pretty wired Elseworld and alternate future Stuff, there where also some classic ones but Batman had of course a lot more OGNs than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed. Here's proof...

I can understand why those books are selling as well as they do, his art is gorgeous. In fact, I just ordered all of their releases in my country.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I can understand why those books are selling as well as they do, his art is gorgeous. In fact, I just ordered all of their releases in my country.
    I think Kami Garcia being a popular YA novel writer (her Beautiful Creatures novel has a movie adaptation) was one of the main reasons why the book sell so good.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I think Kami Garcia being a popular YA novel writer (her Beautiful Creatures novel has a movie adaptation) was one of the main reasons why the book sell so good.
    But story wise at least I find them rather boring.

The last one had basically no crime fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Honestly the 3 main male Robins all took from Dick and if niche fandom gets it's way Steph might just inherit/get a stint at Nightwing.
    You mean Knightwing

I have never read Beautiful Creatures, but the movie was awful. I personally think art is more important for YA novels because I remember how I would only pick up a book if I liked the cover art. I started to care more about the writing as I grew older, but as a teenager you could basically sell me pretty art and call it a day lmao, but the writing of these novels is alright, I can see why it appeals to teens.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    No. The term Robin having an additional emotional significance other than a hero name and Robin having special/personal meaning to one of the Bat kid's mother was exclusive to Dick Grayson and his mother.
    Robin being meaningful to the Robin's mother still is exclusive to Dick Grayson.

In the case of Tim Drake, Robin was meaningful to the mother and grandmother [implied by the fact that Janet read it at her funeral. Likely her mum read the poem to her growing up].

2 generations of mothers. Tim's mum and Tim's mum mother. That's 2 which is greater than 1.

It goes way back

they are also well written and in a voice that resonates with the target audience. The teens in her TT feel like real life teens. Like observing my teenage daughter.

Unlike teens in comics [recent TT, YJ titles] who feel like me everytime I try to be the cool hip dad when interacting with my teenage daughter and her friends.

I think that is a big reason why the series sells so well. Afterall TT isn't her only DC YA GN and the others while big sales successes don't come close to the level of popularity, sales and endurance of her TT series.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Here's a question for the board...who is a villain you would like to see return and why? Personally I have always had a thing for Ms. Elaine Marsh-Morton, Lady Vic. I love her design and has a decent motive for doing what she does (and why she would cross paths with Nightwing.) Mostly though...I just want to see her drawn by Bruno Redondo who is amazing with everything he does.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Here's a question for the board...who is a villain you would like to see return and why? Personally I have always had a thing for Ms. Elaine Marsh-Morton, Lady Vic. I love her design and has a decent motive for doing what she does (and why she would cross paths with Nightwing.) Mostly though...I just want to see her drawn by Bruno Redondo who is amazing with everything he does.
    Raptor and I'm not sure who else remembers Double Dare, but I thought they were kinda funny, so why not bring them back

Tarantula. For what she did, she should be far more important. Could be Nightwing's Joker.