Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I finished reading latest prose novel Tyrant Skies, the last in a trilogy by David Annandale. Doom has a new crisis to deal with as he confronts an old enemy... the Red Skull. This is a rivalry I wish we would see more in the comics but it appears that the Red Skull is not very popular with Marvel writers these days, although Ta-Nehisi Coates did use the Skull in his recently concluded Captain America series.

We long time readers know that Doctor Doom have a long history together and author David Annandale acknowledges that Astonishing Tales #4 and #5 are the inspiration for this story.

These books take place in a sort of alternate universe that doesn't track to the current Marvel Comics Universe. We can tell because Annandale has added Valeria to his cast in this story. This is universe where the events of Unthinkable didn't happen and we do get to see quite a bit of interaction between these two. On his part, Doom is aware of the different realities where Valeria is sacrificed by him for power but he does not tell her of these things.

The Red Skull has created a flying city-fortress that is populated by some of the world's elite. We really don't know much about them but one can assume that they probably are of ill-repute and perhaps gained their wealth through nefarious means. Early on Doom is captured by the Red Skull and placed in a confinement but he is able to escape by splitting his physcial body from the armor. He is captured by the invading forces who are unaware of who this man of scarred features is anything other than a citizen who has been injured in battle. He is confined with other ciitzens captured by the Skull's mercenaries and then leads them in a successful escape.

Eventually, Doom's armor is restored to him and he thwarts the Skull's plans. I wish there had been more of a face to face battle between the Red Skull and Doom but we do get a bit shortchanged here. This book completes the series for now and I would like to see more of this kind of work. Comics can be read in about 10 minutes or less these days and it is rare that you get thought ballons these days.

Rating: *** stars
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-27-2023 at 12:45 PM.

Wow....this would have been interesting if it had happened

Jon Favreau and Kevin Feige say that Robert Downey Jr. was in talks with Marvel to play Doctor Doom in the 2005 Fantastic Four film before he was cast in Iron Man.

Somehow I think things worked out for the best. RDJ is great as Iron Man and he really was a big factor in the launch of the MCU. The Tim Story FF movie IMO didn't have the Doom character defined very well. He was mostly just a arrogant business tycoon with a thing for Sue.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The latest Doom crossover from Super-Team Family! It's a Super-Villain Team Up!

https://braveandboldlost.blogspot.co...ctor-doom.html

Doom has history with Namor, so a team-up with Black Manta is par for course.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thanks Ravin' Ray. These "lost issue" covers are always a lot of fun.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

This is almost done, some finishing touches and highlights are all that's left. I really like the way the infinity gauntlet came out. Also, dead Galactus which was very challenging.
    2023-05-30 10.39.34.jpg

The glove originally had infinity stones which would be painted. But instead of that, I hollowed out the stones then filled the indent with colored resin. Just a tiny drop of color and resin but it makes the "gems" look terrific. (ignore the hair in the picture - cats and dogs in the painting studio!)

Infinity Gauntlet.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

That looks awesome. Did the gems come with the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That looks awesome. Did the gems come with the kit?
    No, the gems are custom built. I also added the chains for the cape clasps which weren't originally on this sculpt.
    "Because ... I am Doom

Captain Britain #4

Writer: Tini Howard
    Artist: Vasco Georgiev

I am not following this mini but had to pick it up when I saw that writer Tini Howard was featuring the pairing of Morgan Le Fay and Victor Von Doom in this issue In case anyone doesn't know, they first met back in Iron Man #149-150 and have had an on again / off again affair ever since. I wish there had more of them but their appearance together only last two pages. Hopefully there will be more of them in the next issue.

It's obvious from this scene that the affair is back on again....

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-02-2023 at 11:19 AM.

Another brief appearance of Doom this week was in Venom: Lethal Protector #3 written by long time Marvel writer David Michelinie. The opening sequence is a flashback featuring Doom and his hireling du jour The Vulture, But this is just a tease for something that will be revisited in another issue.

The last page is a doozy though with Doom relaxing in a custom limo.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-02-2023 at 11:33 AM.

Love that car page, but despite a strong beginning Doom has very little to do with this issue. It's mostly set up for the next issue, I suppose.

Venom Lethal Protector 3 pg 4.jpg

Venom Lethal Protector 4 next.jpg

Speaking of recent comics, I'm totally lost by Thor and what Doom was doing there the past few issues. Kidnapping Hela to save her from being sacrificed as a baby? I mean it was kinda cool that he came through at the end, but a highly confusing story line. He makes a final appearance in issue #35 next month.

Thor (2020) 34 pg 7.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Love that car page, but despite a strong beginning Doom has very little to do with this issue. It's mostly set up for the next issue, I suppose.

Venom Lethal Protector 3 pg 4.jpg

Venom Lethal Protector 4 next.jpg

Speaking of recent comics, I'm totally lost by Thor and what Doom was doing there the past few issues. Kidnapping Hela to save her from being sacrificed as a baby? I mean it was kinda cool that he came through at the end, but a highly confusing story line. He makes a final appearance in issue #35 next month.

Thor (2020) 34 pg 7.jpg
    From what I have been able to understand Doom launched an attack on Hel to get souls to use as a power source for something, in the vain of Mad scientist Doom. During this attack while Hela is resisting she suddenly stops which allows her capture and she asks Doom how his arm is.

After his confrontation with Thor and ending up in a time vortex/warp while trying to get away Doom ends up at this moment where he saves Hela and blocks the attack with his arm which is why Hela asked him.about it.

This also explains why rather than chasing after him once she had been freed by Thor, Hela let's Doom get away since he needs to be there to save her life.

I agree that the Thor story was very murky. I had to read the issues a couple of times but I still had problems following it. Doom has started appearing in the comic back in issue #31 IIRC and I went back to the Amazon store and bought those issues. It still didn't help much. There was nothing that showed how Hela became imprisoned by Doom.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-03-2023 at 08:53 AM.

OK I'm done fussing with this, it's finished now. On to the next one.
    2023-06-01 19.35.52.jpg

Infinity Gauntlet 2.jpg

Galactus defeated.jpg

One other thing, it's clear that the armor was modeled after the Sideshow Legendary scale sculpt. I have one other model to print that's a clear rip off of that statue as well. It's got to be frustrating for the sculptors at Sideshow, but this is like open source software for the 3D modelers.
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 06-03-2023 at 09:54 AM.
    "Because ... I am Doom

I think that this one is the best one so far.

In other news.......

I don't want to sound like an alarmist but there is an article today on the Beat that Comic Book Resources managment announced that they will be "undergoing major structural changes related to turning the corner on both culture and performance,” with those changes meaning that “as a result certain roles no longer exist, and we are focusing on individuals who can create a more positive culture going forward.” No one knows exactly what the means but I hope they won't be eliminating the forums. CBR was purchased by current owner Valnet from the original owner Jonah Weiland 3 years ago (who just this week was hired to work in a management position at DC comics)

Not that I'm against change, but I like things the way they are so I hope that changes to the forums aren't in the works. That said, I often wonder how management might look at forums as a revenue stream. I mean, it's not like there are ads here that we have to wade through. But it also doesn't take a whole lot of effort on their part to look after, I think. Most of it is either member created or automated. Which sadly also makes it easier to eliminate.

I value the exchange of information and ideas here, and I find it far more useful than facebook/meta or twitter in the long run, as a comparison to other social media sites. Still, we're a pretty small group. I hope it doesn't go away. I would really miss you guys if it did.
    "Because ... I am Doom