Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Kang is getting plenty of focus these days in Marvel comics but Doom is certainly not getting shoved to the side. The Doom Above All variant has been causing multiversal mayhem in the Avengers series for over a year now! Theories on his real agenda? I suspect at the end of that storyline, 616 Doom may be the sole remaining Victor Von Doom in the multiverse since DAA has been killing or enslaving all the others. I also hope the reason the 616 universe is the last one on his list is because 616 is still considered the "prime universe" that formed the foundation for all the others after Hickman's Secret Wars series. Maybe only 616 Doom can defeat DAA because of his prior role as God Emperor. I always liked the idea of the main Marvel Comics universe we are watching being uniquely different (the "Prime Universe"), because simply being the 616th out of potentially millions diminishes its importance relative to the others.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I will try to stay hopeful for a good Doom in the mcu, but I will continue to silently worry over it. lol
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by megatillo View Post
    Kang is getting plenty of focus these days in Marvel comics but Doom is certainly not getting shoved to the side. The Doom Above All variant has been causing multiversal mayhem in the Avengers series for over a year now!
    OMG! You’re right! I had totally erased Doom Supreme from my mind! ^^’ Never mind, forget what I said. That reminds me… I am awfully behind with Aaron’s Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I will try to stay hopeful for a good Doom in the mcu, but I will continue to silently worry over it. lol
    Same. I want to be optimist, by can’t shake this feeling of impending disaster. Wakanda Forever destroyed my confidence

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

The comic book "Timeless" was actually pretty good, but also surprising in how they toned down Kang to make him more heroic. This is worrisome because this is how Doom is often portrayed when they don't want him to be the mustache-twirling-villain. They also did this with Magneto, years ago. The point is, they can water down any villain to make them more palatable to be later written as a main character. Kang has always in the past struck me as kind of insane, the way the Doom Above All is being depicted now.

Yet, I do remain hopeful too. Like IM, I just hope they do right by Doom in the MCU before I'm dead or senile. 15 or 20 years from now will really be too long to wait (Note that rise of the Silver Surfer was in 2007 - 16 years ago!).

On another note, I got some new display stands for my small figures and decided to do this to make Dr Doom's second book have a place to stay other than at his feet. Extra points if you know what figure the blue stand came from:
    2023-01-10 12.47.49.jpg

2023-01-10 14.14.10.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Amazing Member

There is a natural progression here where Doom fits in nicely. MCU rolled out Thanos as their top tier cosmic villain. How do you top a universal threat? You expand beyond one universe to a multiverse where time itself is a navigable dimension. This is where Kang makes a lot of sense as Marvel's top-tier time/multiverse hopping villain. How do you top that? Well....that takes us to Hickman's Secret Wars and the incursions. Doom is not really a cosmic villain nor a conqueror of time. He serves as the top tier for Earth primarily and is known mostly for caring about ruling humans and the Earth. How do you make Earth important again after this expansion of the MCU to other planets, other times, other dimensions? You collapse it all back into one planet a la Battleworld. And, who rules planets like nobody's business? Only one person!

Secret Wars may not be about Doom but it sure sets the stage to make a single planet meaningful again in an MCU that has expanded to so many planets and timelines. If you roll Doom out now he would already be diminished by the size of the universe around him. Doom needs to be rolled out when the time is right for him to be the most important being in the entire MCU!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    The comic book "Timeless" was actually pretty good, but also surprising in how they toned down Kang to make him more heroic. This is worrisome because this is how Doom is often portrayed when they don't want him to be the mustache-twirling-villain. They also did this with Magneto, years ago. The point is, they can water down any villain to make them more palatable to be later written as a main character. Kang has always in the past struck me as kind of insane, the way the Doom Above All is being depicted now.

Yet, I do remain hopeful too. Like IM, I just hope they do right by Doom in the MCU before I'm dead or senile. 15 or 20 years from now will really be too long to wait (Note that rise of the Silver Surfer was in 2007 - 16 years ago!).

On another note, I got some new display stands for my small figures and decided to do this to make Dr Doom's second book have a place to stay other than at his feet. Extra points if you know what figure the blue stand came from:
    2023-01-10 12.47.49.jpg

2023-01-10 14.14.10.jpg

It's the Parliament of Dooms!!!!

Heh ... I recognize that book stand. ;p

I hear you. I often wondered if I was going to die of old age before seeing Namor on the movie screen, much less the MCU. Doom will come. Hopefully sooner than later.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post

2023-01-10 12.47.49.jpg

2023-01-10 14.14.10.jpg
    Wonderful additions to your collection! But yeah I do hope Doom is done well and done soon for the fans. How do you feel about the other Live Action versions of Doom and what would your ideal Doom plot be in the mcu?

There is a natural progression here where Doom fits in nicely. MCU rolled out Thanos as their top tier cosmic villain. How do you top a universal threat? You expand beyond one universe to a multiverse where time itself is a navigable dimension. This is where Kang makes a lot of sense as Marvel's top-tier time/multiverse hopping villain. How do you top that? Well....that takes us to Hickman's Secret Wars and the incursions. Doom is not really a cosmic villain nor a conqueror of time. He serves as the top tier for Earth primarily and is known mostly for caring about ruling humans and the Earth. How do you make Earth important again after this expansion of the MCU to other planets, other times, other dimensions? You collapse it all back into one planet a la Battleworld. And, who rules planets like nobody's business? Only one person!

Secret Wars may not be about Doom but it sure sets the stage to make a single planet meaningful again in an MCU that has expanded to so many planets and timelines. If you roll Doom out now he would already be diminished by the size of the universe around him. Doom needs to be rolled out when the time is right for him to be the most important being in the entire MCU!
    Battleworld would be a good way to introduce other versions of characters and characters who aren't in the current timeline such as Fantastic Four and the X-Men before collapsing them all into one mainstream verse.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

IMO none of the 2 live versions of Doom were very good. Toby Kebbell is still apologizing to the fans for his role as Doom in the Josh Trank Fantastic Four and said the actors were the victims of bad leadership and bad organization. He's had a successful career since then at least and so has Julian McMahon but on the small screen in one of the many FBI most wanted shows (recently he left the series). I think McMahon was out of his depth and also had a badly written character given to him....I always say his character was basically a failing business tycoon with a thing for Sue.

Going by what we know will be happening in the new phases of the MCU, Kang will be be prominently featured in Secret Wars and rumors are that this Kang variant will be a Beyonder. I have been thinking that if TPTB do go in that direction, if they are smart this would be the way to introduce Doom. In Hickman's Secret Wars (and the original from 1985) Doom is the one that ends of defeating the Beyonders in 2015 and the first Beyonder from 1985

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-11-2023 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    IMO none of the 2 live versions of Doom were very good. Toby Kebbell is still apologizing to the fans for his role as Doom in the Josh Trank Fantastic Four and said the actors were the victims of bad leadership and bad organization. He's had a successful career since then at least and so has Julian McMahon but on the small screen in on one of the many FBI most wanted shows (recently he left the series). I think McMahon was out of his depth and also had a badly written character given to him....I always say his character was basically a failing business tycoon with a thing for Sue.

Going by what we know will be happening in the new phases of the MCU, Kang will be be prominently featured in Secret Wars and rumors are that this Kang variant will be a Beyonder. I have been thinking that if TPTB do go in that direction, if they are smart this would be the way to introduce Doom. In Hickman's Secret Wars (and the original from 1985) Doom is the one that ends of defeating the Beyonders in 2015 and the first Beyonder fron 1985

I agree that neither them had the Doom Vibes, like failing business tycoon and loner gamer man, as far away from Doom as you can get. The only Live Action Doom I like is the 1994 one because although I know it's not the best movie I do love it, I love the mannerisms the actor put into his movements, it was far more comic booky and I enjoyed that. Not to mention the biggest thing about Doom they got right was never removing his mask once it was on him. I really hope the mcu never takes off Doom's mask in such a frivolous way just to show the actors face.

I do think Marvel is missing out alot on the animated side, I was lamenting to friends the other day they should have at least 5 ongoing cartoons at a time, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Avengers, Black Panther, and I would love a Defenders one but they would probably have Spider-Man again. Doom in animation can be done really well too and the F4 haven't had a cartoon since the early 2000s iirc.

The one Fantastic Four cartoon I remember watching was where Doom's mask looked like he had some teeth missing and had a thing for Sue. I don't know why some adaptations go there. And then there was the one called Fantastic Four: Earth's Mightiest heroes. The artist's concept of the characters was a bit strange

I did finally find a pretty complete version of the Fantastic Four movie produced by Roger Corman, who I mostly know from his various Vincent Price horror films. It was included a documentary that included interviews with all the actors in the film. Joseph Culp, who is the son of actor Robert Culp (I Spy and Greatest American Hero) played Doom and he is the best version we have so far even though this was obviously done on a very low budget. I think this is why the project was given to Roger Corman because most of his films were done on a tight budget but still had good production values with sets, etc.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-11-2023 at 09:57 PM.

Amazing Member

The Avengers/Earths Mightiest Heroes is the best portrayal of Doom in animation I recall ever seeing. That was a quality show! It showcased how he could beat the entire Avengers team, who attacked him by surprise, without really even trying. Good stuff. Super Hero Squad was kind of cool too, ranting and powerful is the way I love my Doom!

There also was a Spiderman cartoon series in the 80s that for some reason is not on Disney+ like most of the other Spiderman animated shows are. The show was mostly episodic yet there was a somewhat serialized episode each week where Doctor Doom was in it, they covered his original and Boris described him as heroic to Latveria. I remember it built up to Doom constructing a weather control device that led to him taking over the world in his final appearance. A Doombot came out of each embassy in each country to take control! Unfortunately, he was killed at the end -- all the Doombots deactivated, proving it was really him -- but it was pretty good for its time and still one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The one Fantastic Four cartoon I remember watching was where Doom's mask looked like he had some teeth missing and had a thing for Sue. I don't know why some adaptations go there. And then there was the one called Fantastic Four: Earth's Mightiest heroes. The artist's concept of the characters was a bit strange

I did finally find a pretty complete version of the Fantastic Four movie produced by Roger Corman, who I mostly know from his various Vincent Price horror films. It was included a documentary that included interviews with all the actors in the film. Joseph Culp, who is the son of actor Robert Culp (I Spy and Greatest American Hero) played Doom and he is the best version we have so far even though this was obviously done on a very low budget. I think this is why the project was given to Roger Corman because most of his films were done on a tight budget but still had good production values with sets, etc.

The Avengers/Earths Mightiest Heroes is the best portrayal of Doom in animation I recall ever seeing. That was a quality show! It showcased how he could beat the entire Avengers team, who attacked him by surprise, without really even trying. Good stuff. Super Hero Squad was kind of cool too, ranting and powerful is the way I love my Doom!
    Doom's great in Avengers EMH and the funny thing is he only fully appears in 2 episodes and I'm not sure whether it was the real Doom or a Skrull imposter in the second episode. Honestly Doom had better luck in cartoons and video games than he had in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Doom's great in Avengers EMH and the funny thing is he only fully appears in 2 episodes and I'm not sure whether it was the real Doom or a Skrull imposter in the second episode. Honestly Doom had better luck in cartoons and video games than he had in movies.
    QFT. I remember that episode where he took on all the Avengers with ease. It would be great to see that scene in the MCU some day.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-12-2023 at 11:04 AM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Ultimate Spiderman (2012) Episode 3 had some good Doom moments:
    Ultimate Spiderman Ep3 Dr Doom9.jpg

Dr Doom in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes (also 2012) was remarkable for his characterization and owning the Avengers moments, including Hulk, Reed Richards, Black Panther and Iron Man:
    Doom evicts the Hulk.jpg

The toothy version IM refers to was from a Fantastic Four cartoon, which was probably from 1994. Not sure because there were a couple of different versions of the FF in animations.
    Dr Doom animated litho cel.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

I found a video clip of the fight in Earth's mightiest heroes