Page 97 of 345 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 5166

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I think they would raise hell. We saw what happened in #13 and how much hell was raised over it. That ontop of T'Challa being dead in the MCU, people would 100% call marvel out for trying to milk Chad's death and call marvel out for killing off the most prolific black hero ever. I don't think it would be well received at all

I agree. It’s the Chadwick angle that would make it all the more difficult to get away with.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    If they keep on the same deconstructionist path I think Marvel will have a win-win situation. I imagine there are those at Marvel who don't believe T'Challa is A-list or deserves to be, ergo the need to excoriate him and expose him for the toxic example/proxy or fraud some might consider him to be. Therefore, if Ewing's book fails that gives them the "proof" that T'Challa isn't an important character. However, if the book succeeds that backs up their ideas that T'Challa is the worst of the worst so to speak. Marvel doesn't really lose here if the goal has never been to really push T'Challa to the A-list and keep him there. It reminds me a bit of how they messed up with Blade, but on a much larger scale owning to how popular the MCU made T'Challa. Instead of building on that, they kept with the deconstruction (which pre-dates the Coates run). I have little faith that Ewing is going to not do the same. I don't think there's anything wrong with any new writer putting their stamp on a book they are taking over, I just wish it wasn't at the expense of the main character that many people are forking money over every month to read about. I think you can have your new, pet characters and world build, or whatever (and you should because that should inject new life and ideas into the series) but still also promote the lead character.
    No they are not.

Because if they think he is not A list or needs to be among the tops. Those who think that need to update their resume and leave Disney.

Excluding Spawn and even Static from the conversation.

What black hero at both companies have a billion dollar movie and if we count Wakanda Forever (since his name was used) that is $2,217,200,000 billion.
    200+ solo issues.
    Sold merchandise and was not a legacy.
    A character that I have seen WHITE KIDS dress as for Halloween that was not named Miles Morales or Static.
    3 Oscars.
    Even if you toss in Shuri-only Moon Girl (not STORM) has done more in terms of solo issues and trade sales (Shuri novels have sold very well)
    What black character owned by Marvel and DC have done better???

What this shows is Marvel is NOT running like a business.

You are choosing to pander and may feel good folks who don't like not just T'Challa but Inhumans and Sam Alexander.

In many cases like we are seeing here-are not SUPPORTING your efforts.

I still ask the question if DC hadn't crapped on John Stewart, Cyborg, Duke & Black Lightning would they be doing this? In other words if DC tossed out some real competition would they be burying T'Challa?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering how none of the more Wakanda-oriented spinoffs/books have done well, I fail to see why writers keep going back to it instead of focusing on the protagonist people are picking up the book for.
    The movie showed you how to do it.

In fact Spider-Man and even Batman and Superman showed you how to do it.

Everyone got minis, one shots or ongoing or had an adventure side by side with those guys and never made them look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I still ask the question if DC hadn't crapped on John Stewart, Cyborg, Duke & Black Lightning would they be doing this? In other words if DC tossed out some real competition would they be burying T'Challa?

Black Lightning has so much potential. I admit I haven’t done my part to support him. Mainly because I’m not a DC fan. But Ive always thought, this guy would be a good matchup for TChalla.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Coogler's movie kind of showed how to write a Black Panther story. I don't ever see them changing that formula.
    Movie's are movies, comic books are different.

If the movies formula mattered than the Guardians of the Galaxy comics would be more successful than they actually are.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Movie's are movies, comic books are different.

If the movies formula mattered than the Guardians of the Galaxy comics would be more successful than they actually are.
    GOTG comic books had years following the same lineup without caring how much the book sold so I guess BP will have to endure more years of Wakanda-centric stories that critic T'Challa's actions or inaction depending on the story they want to tell.
    Last edited by Tofali; 02-07-2023 at 10:02 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The movie showed you how to do it.

In fact Spider-Man and even Batman and Superman showed you how to do it.

Everyone got minis, one shots or ongoing or had an adventure side by side with those guys and never made them look bad.
    The comics are not the movies. Writers keep acting like it's all about Wakanda but the audience just doesn't seem to be there, comics-wise.

The comics are not the movies. Writers keep acting like it's all about Wakanda but the audience just doesn't seem to be there, comics-wise.
    I don't think the audience was there for those Guardian spin-offs either amusingly enough. I'm not sure they were particularly popular.

Like they gave books to everyone, Star-Lord got multiple ongoings, then there's the Drax series, the Gamora series, the Rocket series, even a Groot one. The Sam Humphries Star-Lord series I believe was especially derided upon for making Star-Lord a git like his movie-self.

The book is called THE BLACK PANTHER.

It's right in the title.

Mighty Member

Yes. The story is usually called Theseus and the Minataur, not the Athenian who went to Crete. Or better yet, the Odyssey, not Return to Ithaca.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    Yes. The story is usually called Theseus and the Minataur, not the Athenian who went to Crete. Or better yet, the Odyssey, not Return to Ithaca.
    Amusingly Star Wars fans have a similar complaint with how many stories are set on Tatooine

In-universe its supposed to be just an unimportant backwater that the protagonists just happen to be from, but due to the nostalgia associated with it, so many stories are set or go there so it comes across as the center of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Coogler's movie kind of showed how to write a Black Panther story. I don't ever see them changing that formula.
    He also showed what happens when you remove the title character from the movie too. The franchise does not work without T'Challa

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    The book is called THE BLACK PANTHER.

It's right in the title.
    And it's clear that Marvel knows this.

I was at target today, looking for pants for my 4 yr old, and guess who was all over the graphic teas? T'Challa. There was also a black artist rendition of Black characters. The 3 they used?

T'Challa, Miles and Storm. You know who I barely saw The entirety of the WF caste, in fact, none of them were on any shirts or sweatshirts. I found one small display, LITERALLY everything else BP related was T'Challa. Hell even stuff titld BP WF had T'Challa on it. So clearly he is the draw. People need to pull their heads out their asses and actually grow the brand.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Glad you liked it. I never said the filmmakers aren't super talented. Truly a skilled cast and crew with a lot of experience. But it didn't come together for me. Missing T'Challa wasn't the issue for me, even though I'd have preferred a recast.

I think the Ross scenes needed to payoff more than they did given how underdeveloped the plot was. Alternatively, cut that whole angle. I think there are more than a few times when characters tell me how they feel rather than showing me. I think Goransson's score could have used less Spanish and more Yucatac Maya. And a few scenes could have used a damn fill light. The performances are great. The themes are strong (though they strayed a little too close to T'Challa's arcs in Civil War and the first film - it didn't feel like they were deepening those themes so much as rereading them). Costume design and production design were amazing (Beachler should have been nominated again). Action was about the same as the first film to me. Cool stuff: spoilers:
    the sonic attack and the second sun.
    end of spoilers

7 or 7.5/10 for me. Might climb higher when I eventually rewatch it, but I have zero idea when that might be.
    Idk about the score. Feels like Ludwig might have topped himself with this one. Although maybe I'm just open to how different it was.

I feel Shuri's arc is probably one of the best handled leads in the MCU. And I went into the movie wanting to dislike her. It does a beautiful job balancing grief, belief (science vs God) and frankly I found her journey more impactful than T'Challa's in Civil War. However, a large part of that is because T'Challa didnt get the screen time and I felt they used him kinda recklessly.

Idk about deepening the themes I do think they were spreading more ground. Killmonger was generational/systemic trauma and they used Namor for first hand trauma that cultivates an entire people for generations. Ross scenes dont both me as much cause its clear set up for Wakanda's place in the MCU.

In the theater I will admit the cinematography was better. However, I think the problem on Disney+ is that it looks much better in 1080.

Coogler is just next level as a director. Im saddened that Boseman died because I think they might have crafted true greatness. I feel like whatever issue or flow gets worked out without losing Boseman/T'Challa.

As I've said with this its probably an amazing limited series if they went that route.
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 02-07-2023 at 11:19 PM.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    He also showed what happens when you remove the title character from the movie too. The franchise does not work without T'Challa
    *long term*

I think its fair to say it can work as a one off. However, long term it simply wouldnt last. And even that movie begins and ends with/about T'Challa and "T'Challa"