Page 152 of 345 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162202252 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 5166

I know we’re all sour about WF around these parts, but Jaime Lee Curtis winning over Angela Bassett is ridiculous.
    Last edited by BlackClaw; 03-12-2023 at 06:32 PM.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I know we’re all sour about WF around these parts, Jaime Lee Curtis winning over Angela Bassett is ridiculous.
    I've seen both movies and this is without doubt one of the most ridiculous awards ceremony moments. Bassett carried BP2 big time and it was one of the better film performances I've seen last year.

Between the snub of the black actresses for best actress and this, I'm reminded of why I stopped watching the Oscars. Its never been an awards ceremony that treated black people fairly.

I know we’re all sour about WF around these parts, Jaime Lee Curtis winning over Angela Bassett is ridiculous.
    It is.

Congrats to Ruth Carter who just won again as I was typing this!

Ultimate Member

Lastly, Stephanie Hsu should have gotten the nomination and NOT Jamie Lee Curtis.

I haven't been this pissed off at an awards show since Denzel was snubbed for Malcolm X.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Honestly sometimes being a BP fan feels like I'm walking in a normalized crazy universe. I don't understand how any person with a working brain views Folsade positively.
    It's ironic because when Folasade gets into power what does she do? IMMEDIATELY seizes emergency power and orders Akili to have the HZ hunt down and kill T'Challa. Doesn't matter that the next issue she goes back on that, SHE is the one who issued it.

Yet T'Challa is somehow at fault for her actions. Then, as the story progresses, she continues to make unilateral decisions, appoints her own person into a position of power despite having zero credibility or experience. And literally by the end she has done the exact same thing T'Challa was being criticized for.

It's almost ironic because if Ridley was a talented writer than it could be intentional and the end could set up that she is actually a villain and was doing this to get revenge on Wakanda by allying with Namor. T'Challa sees this and knows currently he doesn't have enough support of the people to get Wakanda back so he "leaves" Wakanda in exile. By doing so he can make moves to come back and take her down from the shadows, showing just how corrupt she really is. But Ridley ain't that guy so we get... Trash. Then we have these CBR ass kissers who make up bullshit articles like that and try to spin it into something positive.

THE GOOD NEWS is that literally no one is buying that bullshit at all

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Lastly, Stephanie Hsu should have gotten the nomination and NOT Jamie Lee Curtis.

I haven't been this pissed off at an awards show since Denzel was snubbed for Malcolm X.
    Hsu was nominated. Curtis arguably gave the least deserving performance (not that she wasn't good, just not as good as the others, imo). It's all subjective and not based in merit. Once Curtis surprised at SAG, I figured she had it. Still disappointing though.

I know we’re all sour about WF around these parts, but Jaime Lee Curtis winning over Angela Bassett is ridiculous.
    what was JLK in? I don't pay attention to this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    what was JLK in? I don't pay attention to this stuff
    Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Hsu was nominated. Curtis arguably gave the least deserving performance (not that she wasn't good, just not as good as the others, imo). It's all subjective and not based in merit. Once Curtis surprised at SAG, I figured she had it. Still disappointing though.
    Truth is that I haven't really been following the awards that closely.

I only knew about Angela Bassett's nomination. I didn't even know Curtis was nominated this year, her performance in Everything didn't particularly stand out to me. It was funny but it didn't strike me as particularly special.

But regarding the awards, stuff like this explains a lot.

https://ew.com/awards/oscars/2023-os...e-juicy-picks/

"When they get in trouble for not giving Viola Davis an award, it's like, no, sweetheart, you didn't deserve it. We voted, and we voted for the five we thought were best," he finishes. "It's not fair for you to start suddenly beating a frying pan and say [they're] ignoring Black people. They're really not, they're making an effort. Maybe there was a time 10 years ago when they were, but they have, of all the high-profile things, been in the forefront of wanting to be inclusive. Viola Davis and the lady director need to sit down, shut up, and relax. You didn't get a nomination — a lot of movies don't get nominations. Viola, you have one or two Oscars, you're doing fine."
    I voted for Austin Butler. I hated that movie, it's a headache and a seizure waiting to happen, but I thought his performance transcended it, despite Baz Luhrmann trying to undermine his performance every step of the way. I thought it was a real accomplishment and a beautiful achievement. He worked hard and it paid off, it all showed up on screen. I didn't feel like he was begging for an Oscar. I felt like he wanted to be Elvis Presley. There didn't seem to be a lot of ego around it.

[The Whale] is so pandering for an Oscar. I think he's a very talented guy, but I didn't buy a second of that movie. I'd seen the play, so I knew what I was in for, and somehow turning it into a movie just made the artifice look so magnified.... cheeseball from the get-go, and I didn't even think the makeup was that good.

I don't believe that thing of you have to be a murderer to play a murderer — I know it's all the rage. You can't play a gay guy unless you're a gay guy — it's so out of control with the wokeness. I'm a fervent liberal, but wokeness, I think we all agree, has taken over. I thought he was fine casting, I just wish the movie had been better.
    That's why when some absolutely, ill-informed, ignorant jackoffs accuse the Hollywood establishment of being "woke" it used to drive me insane. It's absolutely crazy how short the list of black academy award winners are.

EEAAO is expected to take best picture, I don't doubt that Bassets performance wasn't good, but the academy would never let a marvel movie win an Oscar for anything outside of effects and costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Truth is that I haven't really been following the awards that closely.

I only knew about Angela Bassett's nomination. I didn't even know Curtis was nominated this year, her performance in Everything didn't particularly stand out to me. It was funny but it didn't strike me as particularly special.

But regarding the awards, stuff like this explains a lot.

https://ew.com/awards/oscars/2023-os...e-juicy-picks/

That's why when some absolutely, ill-informed, ignorant jackoffs accuse the Hollywood establishment of being "woke" it used to drive me insane. It's absolutely crazy how short the list of black academy award winners are.
    Wow. I hadn't seen that EW article. Bigotry so strong it reads like parody.

I largely watch the shows just for something on in the background while I work. It's nice to see people get their moment, but I don't take them as indicators of anything more than who put on the best campaign. Especially now that I live in L.A. and see the FYC ads all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    EEAAO is expected to take best picture, I don't doubt that Bassets performance wasn't good, but the academy would never let a marvel movie win an Oscar for anything outside of effects and costumes.
    I'd be more shocked if EEAAO didn't win at this point. Won everything but the BAFTA, iirc.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Wow. I hadn't seen that EW article. Bigotry so strong it reads like parody.

I largely watch the shows just for something on in the background while I work. It's nice to see people get their moment, but I don't take them as indicators of anything more than who put on the best campaign. Especially now that I live in L.A. and see the FYC ads all the time.
    Go to Ebay and look up FYC DVD...

I would HATE to see the budget on FYC DVDS for Netflix alone.

Nobody can say Disney didn't send some out for Marvel movies. Black Panther had 8 different types of DVDs.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'm surprised by how goofy Hudlin's run. It has a very tongue in cheek tone and is mostly about having fun especially the crossover portions that even T has plenty of goofy moments along with cool ones.

Though reaching to the point of T's proposal to Storm, Holy crap is this scene sad reading now. Man it's really tragic how badly their relationship has deteriorated since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    No. Hudlin was fearless. He took T'Challa and Wakanda and MADE the 616, Marvel, and comic fans take him seriously and see him as an A lister. That's why he got so much flak, people didn't like T'Challa beating on people and being so confident and in your face about being a bad ass.

Coates was evey racist and unfans wet dream. He was "fearless" in his quest to do the very thing T'Challa and Wakanda were created to combat against
    Something doesnt add up.

Hudlin was goofy fun that you have to be in a mood for. Nothing wrong with that, but c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Something doesnt add up.

Hudlin was goofy fun that you have to be in a mood for. Nothing wrong with that, but c'mon.
    It's adds up fine. Hudlins run was high octane, Saturday morning cartoon action and fun. Priests run was heavy, it was good, but it was also heavy, and While it had comedic moment's, it was mostly a serious political thriller with a wholey badass and realized T'Challa...

Hudlin took T'Challa and had him out globetrotting, beating up a super soldier While proposing to Storm. Had him developing one of the best black male friendships between T'Challa and Cage, and had some absolutely stellar Black team ups. All the while T'Challa being front and center standing shoulder to shoulder with A listers.

Kirby's run was Goofy that required a certain mood for. Hudlins was as I said. Saturday morning Cartoon