Page 215 of 345 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225265315 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 5166
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    What book is this?
    Ultimate Invasion #1

be fair he went to atlantis and other places also
    But none of those people have blamed Namor, Thor, Black Bolt or Scott Summers for everything that has gone wrong.

T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Ultimate Invasion #1

But none of those people have blamed Namor, Thor, Black Bolt or Scott Summers for everything that has gone wrong.
    So what happened? You can put a spoiler tag

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    So what happened? You can put a spoiler tag
    spoilers:
    Evil Reed is seen in Wakanda stealing resources and then he goes to Inhumans HQ and steals while Lockjaw is asleep and in Atlantis kills some folks and steals from there.

Funny outside of BP books everyone can waltz in and take stuff with no trouble.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

So, if I write, as I have many times, a story where Daredevil, who doesn't have powers, gets the drop on Thor, who has unbelievable powers, people go 'Oh, that's so cool, Daredevil was so clever!' If I have the Black Panther do the same thing, 'That's impossible!' It's like yeah, it's impossible with Daredevil too, man."

Affectionately called the "Cosmic Armbar" by Black Panther fans (though it's really more of a shoulder lock), the moment became an ace-in-the-hole in rumble threads. Thanks to McDuffie, Black Panther was now a character who could face down opponents on a cosmic scale. Does he need to acquire kryptonite to go toe-to-toe in a cross-universe bout with Superman? No, he just needs to apply the Cosmic Armbar. This moment also wasn't a hypothetical. It was one Black Panther fans like myself could point to, and post images of. You couldn't deny it, because it happened.

I couldn't deny it either. I was 19 years old when this story first hit comic book stands. If you'd have asked me if T'Challa could beat Silver Surfer in a 1-on-1 fight without the benefit of mythical 'prep time,' my answer would have been a resounding 'no,' likely with an expletive or two thrown in for good measure. Yet it happened, and this is the powerful gift of Dwayne McDuffie's writing — it repeatedly breaks the barriers in our own minds and expanding our imaginations.
    https://www.thepopverse.com/black-pa...perhero-comics

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Lol gotta share

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If nothing else it seems like Avengers is still the book to check into if you're not vibing with T'Challa in his own book.
    It really is. But as much as I liked the scene we had with T'Challa, it felt a little clunky lol. I didn't take what he said about saving 50 more people as a brag, which made me confused why Carol said it's not a competition. And I'm not used to T'Challa being more cavalier so him saying "I'd be winning" sounded slightly off at first, even if I found it funny. Not a bad part of the book at all but I didn't quite catch the tone they were going for in my first reading. Maybe it's just me.

Still, I'm interested in Mackay's take on T'Challa. He's got nothing to lose, it's obvious he's meant to be the heel of this roster. It feels like an evolution of his status quo from the Hickman run on Avengers. I like that he's allowed to have a bit of a personality here and embracing a life outside serving Wakanda.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    It really is. But as much as I liked the scene we had with T'Challa, it felt a little clunky lol. I didn't take what he said about saving 50 more people as a brag, which made me confused why Carol said it's not a competition. And I'm not used to T'Challa being more cavalier so him saying "I'd be winning" sounded slightly off at first, even if I found it funny. Not a bad part of the book at all but I didn't quite catch the tone they were going for in my first reading. Maybe it's just me.

Still, I'm interested in Mackay's take on T'Challa. He's got nothing to lose, it's obvious he's meant to be the heel of this roster. It feels like an evolution of his status quo from the Hickman run on Avengers. I like that he's allowed to have a bit of a personality here and embracing a life outside serving Wakanda.
    Seems like something T'Challa from EMH might do in good jest (usually with Hawkeye).

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

I noticed the same with the first issue. He is trying to give T'Challa a sense of humor that isn't quite right as far as fit but not egregiously bad given recent events

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'll say there is good humor in with their insufferable posturing in recent memory, Wakanda still gets its shit easily stolen by an uber genius with vastly greater intelligence.

Just apparently waltzed right in there and walked out with a mad stack of Vibranium.

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Good Day...the next time someone brings up T'Challa vs Silver Surfer as some weird thing kindly direct the person to Silver Surfer vol 3. Issue 85 where Storm and Wonder Man "beat the brakes off" of said Silver Surfer for the entire issue.
    Last edited by LastManStanding; 06-22-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
    Good Day...the next time someone brings up T'Challa vs Silver Surfer as some weird thing kindly direct the person to Silver Surfer vol 3. Issue 85 where Storm and Wonder Man "beat the breaks off" of said Silver Surfer for the entire issue.
    Or the time that Spider-Man straight up beat Firelord

Tchalla was awesome in the avengers book. I live that he has his own moments off badassery

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    If I was the new writer of BP, I would dump the last 8 years of the title in my first issue.

I will "Peter David" the entire thing (Hulk fans get the reference..LOL).

I will start afresh and build up the character and move away from the politics of Wakanda. Maybe I'm getting old but sometimes I just want my superhero comic to be a superhero comic. I have come to the conclusion that the commentary on African politics from the lens of American liberalism can NOT yield interesting stories. I mean, in issue 1 of the new series we are seeing former Hatut Zeraze turn into thugs regardless of their previous commitments, this isn't stuff I am interested in at all.

Marvel has to decide what it wants BP to be. Previous writers were able to address the politics of Wakanda without making the title just come across as boring. This isn't a criticism of Eve Ewing but being able to write a dialogue heavy title and make it interesting is something of a lost art these days. There are very few writers these days outside of like Jonathan Hickman, Al Ewing and Grant Morrison that can write very dialogue heavy comics and keep them interesting. Bendis in his prime could do the same. I think that's a balance that needs to be struck if that's what Marvel wants on BP.

I personally would go for an entirely different approach and build up the franchise off what Hickman did in New Avengers but that's just my opinion.
    Black Panther is burdened by his political importance for sure but thats something you cant really separate from him, not forever.

As the first black superhero, in mainstream comics EVER, he will always have a socio political aspect to his very existence. Add to this the fact he's literally a government official/ruler of a nation and it becomes almost forced to try and ignore that aspect in his stories. Now does every thing he does have to. Be some statement? No, I dont think so. But given the charged era of time we are in im not surprised thats the direction things are going... because even batman books have become that much more aware. Were past the time people will look at a billionaire beat dudes up on the street and not ask questions. For now at least.

I didnt see the first issue as explicitly "liberal" but that window seems to shift every other hour so your take will be different than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    One was born male and in this climate-black men have to be lowest of the low to fit agenda.

The usual suspects would take issue if the Doras were shown to act the same way the HZ are.

There would be no stealth Dora book (Black Panther WOW) to showcase them as more than rebels. Because that doesn't fit the narratives.

It is funny some of them looked like they ran through Cyborg's closet and took stuff.
    One if the Hz shown to be rebelling and abusing their station was a woman were they not?