Page 14 of 345 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    If t'challa was 1/3 as bad as Tosin acts, he would have crushed the Mute Zone long ago and figured out how they make superhumans with vibranium

Yeah, Gentle is the only "old" character to benefit from Ridley's writing.

But, knowing the X office, they will ignore it when they see fit like usual

He has a wakandan mom and a white russian dad. He inhertied the X gene from his dad.

Long story short, everyone hated him and picked on him, including his mom. He was basically abused. I *think* he was picked on for being a mutant more so than biracial but I can't remember.

T'challa basically took him in and raised him in the palace. Also, they used vibranium to control his mutant powers so he wouldn't kill himself using them (his abuse made it said he had mental trauma or something).

Storm convinced tchalla to send him to the Xavier school to control his powers.

Recently, in xmen red I think, Jean Grey finally taught him ho wto control his powers without killing himself.

So basically, he is loyal to both T'challa and Storm due to them both trying to help him when basically no one else would. He was used by the X office to talk **** more than anything but he had decent moments here and there. His name has always rubbed BP fans the wrong name but he's never been a "bad" enough character that people hated or anything, a lot of us just wanted more out of him than "oh no my powers are killing me, wakandans hate me, my name is gentle the large black guy"

X-men read and Ridley have actually given him some character development finally. I'm not sure if he's been used recently in the X books or not though.
    Gentle’s been irrelevant ever since Red ended, doing nothing this entire Krakoa era. The retcon gives him a narrative that’s more than being the sad quiet black kid in the background of the X-books. So unsurprisingly, some X-fans took issue with it. Like I said, he’s given agency by being more than just a sycophant for the mutants. He still cares about them and we see that in how he withholds the secret of mutant resurrection from T’Challa. He definitely found a healthier community with them as well. BUT, he understands T’Challa makes a good point about how outsiders can’t be completely trusted, even the heroes. I mean, there’s a Nazi on the Quiet Council, why would a Wakandan (no matter their identity) be trusting of that knowing how Nazis have tried to destroy their kingdom?

And he feels a personal loyalty to a person outside the sphere of the X-Men, someone who can offer him more than “community”, something along the lines of fatherhood. It opens an Avenue to him being used in future Black Panther content which would be harder to do if all they did was relegate him to occasionally throwing **** from the sidelines of an X-book. I still don’t really care for the guy but there is a way forward to make him a more compelling character who adds to the world of Wakanda and T’Challa more specifically. If a BP writer doesn’t pick up on that I’m more than fine since I generally don’t like mutants in BP books or vice versa but Ridley has opened new doors for Gentle he never would’ve seen under the X-office. Even if the point of this was likely to **** on T’Challa, he did unintentionally enrich the franchise as a whole with this retcon lol.
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-06-2023 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Gentle’s been irrelevant ever since Red ended, doing nothing this entire Krakoa era. The retcon gives him a narrative that’s more than being the sad quiet black kid in the background of the X-books. So unsurprisingly, some X-fans took issue with it. Like I said, he’s given agency by being more than just a sycophant for the mutants. He still cares about them and we see that in how he withholds the secret of mutant resurrection from T’Challa. He definitely found a healthier community with them as well. BUT, he understands T’Challa makes a good point about how outsiders can’t be completely trusted, even the heroes. I mean, there’s a Nazi on the Quiet Council, why would a Wakandan (no matter their identity) be trusting of that knowing how Nazis have tried to destroy their kingdom?

And he feels a personal loyalty to a person outside the sphere of the X-Men, someone who can offer him more than “community”, something along the lines of fatherhood. It opens an Avenue to him being used in future Black Panther content which would be harder to do if all they did was relegate him to occasionally throwing **** from the sidelines of an X-book. I still don’t really care for the guy but there is a way forward to make him a more compelling character who adds to the world of Wakanda and T’Challa more specifically. If a BP writer doesn’t pick up on that I’m more than fine since I generally don’t like mutants in BP books or vice versa but Ridley has opened new doors for Gentle he never would’ve seen under the X-office. Even if the point of this was likely to **** on T’Challa, he did unintentionally enrich the franchise as a whole with this retcon lol.
    i don't blame them for not using Gentle tbf. So many ... better... mutants.

I wish he could just be given to the BP office full time though. Like, they have control over him, not X office.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

I wish he could just be given to the BP office full time though. Like, they have control over him, not X office.
    Gentle not being used in the X-books creates a stronger case for him being used in BP books. It’s not like he’d be missed, it’s clear he’s not a priority for any writer. He got killed in the annual X-vote so it’s not like X-fans are really checking for him like that either lol. The only ones who’d get mad are the ones who don’t like T’Challa.

So if a BP writer wanted to explore Gentle’s spirituality and his dynamic with T’Challa I don’t think there’s much stopping them editorially. And fan-wise, I bet most Gentle “stans” are also Black Panther fans who like the idea of a Wakandan mutant with ties to T’Challa and Storm, so a BP writer would probably receive a good deal of support from the small number of people who actually care about that character.

If he were featured prominently in another two or three BP arcs I think you’d be able to make the case Gentle has been annexed into the BP mythos. That’s more than he would’ve got in the X-books since his debut.
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-06-2023 at 07:38 AM.

Ultimate Member

I actually don’t mind seeing Gentle used more in BP.

The X-books have a pretty terrible record with black, male characters.

Apart from Synch and Bishop, I’m not sure any of them are in any prominent positions in any books.

Gentle not being used in the X-books creates a stronger case for him being used in BP books. It’s not like he’d be missed, it’s clear he’s not a priority for any writer. He got killed in the annual X-vote so it’s not like X-fans are really checking for him like that either lol. The only ones who’d get mad are the ones who don’t like T’Challa.

So if a BP writer wanted to explore Gentle’s spirituality and his dynamic with T’Challa I don’t think there’s much stopping them editorially. And fan-wise, I bet most Gentle “stans” are also Black Panther fans who like the idea of a Wakandan mutant with ties to T’Challa and Storm, so a BP writer would probably receive a good deal of support from the small number of people who actually care about that character.

If he were featured prominently in another two or three BP arcs I think you’d be able to make the case Gentle has been annexed into the BP mythos. That’s more than he would’ve got in the X-books since his debut.
    This is what grinds my gears about so many OC lately

I think there are enough characters to be used in the past so we actually get some development.

Like we already have a semi hot headed young wakandan dude with different powers... his names Vibraxas.

We already have an ultra nationalistic spy guy who shows his "love" for tchalla/wakanda by weird means... his names Hunter.

We already have an international spy chick with connection to T'challa... her names Malakai. Or hell, give QDJ something to do (gross lol)

I don't even like all the old Wakandans or really care that much (except Zuri, RIP i miss your comic relief) but just inventing new OC's who are just reskinned old characters is dumb and clearly just done due to lack of caring to research or for MCU cash.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

This is what grinds my gears about so many OC lately

I think there are enough characters to be used in the past so we actually get some development.

Like we already have a semi hot headed young wakandan dude with different powers... his names Vibraxas.

We already have an ultra nationalistic spy guy who shows his "love" for tchalla/wakanda by weird means... his names Hunter.

We already have an international spy chick with connection to T'challa... her names Malakai. Or hell, give QDJ something to do (gross lol)

I don't even like all the old Wakandans or really care that much (except Zuri, RIP i miss your comic relief) but just inventing new OC's who are just reskinned old characters is dumb and clearly just done due to lack of caring to research or for MCU cash.
    True.

I think there are a couple of writers taking up these assignments that aren’t too familiar with the characters. Interestingly, the Nigerian brother on Sam Wilson’s book seems more knowledgeable on BP than the person actually writing the character.

Jhai is basically Hunter 2.0 without much to him. Ridley could have fit him into his story without creating an OC.

Then again as you rightly pointed out, everyone wants to create new OCs to get that MCU cash and recognition.

Get that MCU cash, **** on T'Challa, write piss poor stories that bring down T'Challa, Wakanda, and the entire franchise down because these writers actually have nothing to say.

That appears to be the trend these days

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I actually don’t mind seeing Gentle used more in BP.

The X-books have a pretty terrible record with black, male characters.

Apart from Synch and Bishop, I’m not sure any of them are in any prominent positions in any books.
    Gentle is another non-villainous black male character that could be brought into the franchise, that’s true. He’s a hero through and through so there’s no chance T’Challa will have to kill him down the line, which is usually the case in this franchise these days. And he’s rather unproblematic at that, his mentor is a woman and he’s not a type-A personality that would ruffle the feathers of fans.

But him being a mutant from another franchise opens problems and MOS is right that he’s technically under a different editorial office. I wouldn’t hate it if it’s done in a way that highlights his ties to T’Challa and develops Wakandan spirituality. Dude could have a lane as a brawler warrior monk and advisor to his king who serves as an unofficial ambassador to the mutants. But if it’s more **** talking like Tosin with no forward progression then just keep him as a D-list X-Men.

Incredible Member

Sorry I'm late with this but happy new year, T'Challa fans!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm7t5...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Gentle is another non-villainous black male character that could be brought into the franchise, that’s true. He’s a hero through and through so there’s no chance T’Challa will have to kill him down the line, which is usually the case in this franchise these days. And he’s rather unproblematic at that, his mentor is a woman and he’s not a type-A personality that would ruffle the feathers of fans.

But him being a mutant from another franchise opens problems and MOS is right that he’s technically under a different editorial office. I wouldn’t hate it if it’s done in a way that highlights his ties to T’Challa and develops Wakandan spirituality. Dude could have a lane as a brawler warrior monk and advisor to his king who serves as an unofficial ambassador to the mutants. But if it’s more **** talking like Tosin with no forward progression then just keep him as a D-list X-Men.
    He will get plenty problematic once the X-Office see that he's being utilized properly in the Black Panther franchise. Happened with a certain weather witch I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    Sorry I'm late with this but happy new year, T'Challa fans!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm7t5...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Tight. Those two have a showdown coming up apparently. It won’t go nearly as well as it did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    He will get plenty problematic once the X-Office see that he's being utilized properly in the Black Panther franchise. Happened with a certain weather witch I know.
    Yep. They’ll out of the blue realize that Gentle was their favorite toy all along once they see another kid playing with him.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Just felt like dropping this:

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Just felt like dropping this:

Created so many BlackPanther fans.

Then Hickman followed that up with illuminate/secret Wars Panther creating even more

Then...Coats was announced and here we are.
    Last edited by Ekie; 01-07-2023 at 05:25 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Created so many BlackPanther fans.

Then Hickman followed that up with illuminate/secret Wars Panther creating even more

Then...Coats was announced and here we are.
    It's really sad.

It was the perfect lay-up with the Avengers animated series then New Avengers by Hickman then all the MCU hype.

Only for all of it to fall away with Coates.