Page 4 of 345 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Black Panther Vs Predator concept art

https://twitter.com/ParisAlleyne/sta...94095865221123

Mighty Member

I haven't made a New Year's resolution in decades. But I am this year. The last three or four years I've been sculpting small stone sculptures and have my shop mostly in place how I will want it. One of my first projects was the panther tribal challenge mask from the movie. I posted a couple images a couple of years ago. I bought a couple small pieces of onxy last year, and my resolution is to make one or both into a small statue of T'Challa. I may not be able to use my favorite pose for the design because of it being so small as well as stone. And because it is more of a personal project it will take longer than normal. I has also been a very long time since I carved a superhero, let alone from stone.
    These are what I'll be starting from. I'll keep you updated

20230102_151222.jpg
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Ironically, I felt T'Challa should form a new Ultimates team.

Strange
    Adam
    Monica
    Susan storm
    Janet

Gives a nice rounded skill and powerset
    Good team. I worry about Adam because he's not likely to cross the lines that T'Challa will and that could cause issues between them.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    MCU going all in with the Incursion thing

and no T'challa

GD, that is going to HURT. It is probably T'challa's biggest "Avengers storyline" in the comics and he's gonna be complete MIA from it.

And before someone goes "Junior! or Variant!"... that isn't "main" T'challa trying to figure out how to stop the damn thing (and failing). So it isn't the same thing at all.

The dumb T'challa Jr thing saved comic T'challa's life basically.

Marvel can't even get Shuri off the ground... they are not going to be able to make a kid in the comics and make him popular. That is nearly impossible in this day and age.

Tosin is 100% dead in the water. Joining the other random powered youngins that have popped up the last however many years.

Ridley just introduced so many OC so he can hopefully get a random 10K check from Marvel Studios in the next 10 years if they use one of his names lol.
    Hilarious that he thinks Buffalo Soldier is one of them

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Marvel’s not gonna commit to T’Challa finally being free of Wakanda because Wakanda as a concept loses all relevance if he’s not there. Most of the characters don’t matter outside the context of a Black Panther ongoing and if T’Challa decided to truly say deuces there’s be no reason for characters like Tosin or the Prime Minister to even exist. They aren’t interesting or marketable enough to be featured as their own property, the last few years of abysmally selling Black Panther spin-offs is proof of that.

This is a huge part of why the last few years of Black Panther have been dominated by civil war stories. It gives bad writers like Coates and Ridley a chance to inundate the ongoing with poorly constructed OCs and new factions in a cheap effort to worldbuild and shift focus away from T’Challa, who they don’t like and see as someone the franchise needs to move on from because of his “toxic” traits.

Hell, after everything that’s happened this last arc T’Challa shouldn’t even allowed back in Wakanda. But where else are trash pet characters like Tosin, the Prime Minister, and the Midnight Angels gonna appear? Falcon’s book is already doing cancellation numbers. The X-books take every chance to **** on Wakanda and T’Challa in general. T’Challa is the only reason Wakanda has any relevance at Marvel, you remove him and it gets a lot less appearances and the OCs Marvel wants to take T’Challa’s place have no where to show up and be remotely prominent.
    Wakanda as a concept lost relevance when it became a democracy and turned on T'Challa.

Everything unique about Wakanda changed when this happened. Krakoa is now what Wakanda used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Black Panther Vs Predator concept art

https://twitter.com/ParisAlleyne/sta...94095865221123
    Nice. And they sent more than one Yautja to go after BP.

Fantastic Member

[QUOTE=skyvolt2000;6317536]
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    I think the disappointing box office for Wakanda Forever will give Marvel Comics some pause on erasing T'Challa. /QUOTE]

The movie made $820 million. A billion was never a guarantee even with T'Challa in it.

If Marvel got an issue with that then they need to have a conversation with every fake woke black feminist and their simps who tried to lump the recast crew and those not interest in the films with the alt-trolls. ALONG with the fact they put it out a MONTH before Avatar 2 and Puss and Boots.

You wanted a billion? February 2022 through July 2022 was OPEN.

And once again the merchandising department never got the notice to erase T'Challa. Excluding movie stuff-everything else Black Panther related and some with WF logo on it has T'Challa.
    In fact there is more stuff with him on it then Shuri coming out this year.

That happened when fake woke folks became who they hated-the alt trolls. For as much as they SCREAMED wait till it comes out and then judge-they just threw a fit to throw a fit. They just acted like the gators and threw fits before the first issue. Shame on Marvel for pandering. If they had did that in 2011, 2015 & 2016-Miles Morales, Kamala Khan and Riri Williams wouldn't exist.
    All Miles did was get an Oscar and broke the Marvel & DC record for a black male having a solo book in consecutive years.
    Ms Marvel is the most successful Asian female in terms of solo issues passing Cassandra Cain.

Not really. Not when you have a run with 156 variants and NOT be named Peter Parker. Even Batman had restraint.
    Nothing is guaranteed, but if the first movie makes a billion, there is an expectation that the sequel (for comic book/blockbuster movies in the MCU era) will make more, the same, or not fall off much if for no other reason to keep the perception that the franchise is healthy, and all is right in Wakanda and the MCU. For 2022, Dr. Strange passed this test, while Wakanda Forever came up short, and it seems like Thor 4 came out the worse for wear of the three. I think a lot of factors resulted in the relatively (and main word here is relatively) underperformance of Wakanda Forever, and one of those factors might be the lack of T'Challa. I think release date (I think this is the movie that should've been put out in February 2023, while the more seemingly family friendly Ant-Man 3 should've been put out this past holiday season) and also the more somber tone also played roles, among other things.

The underperformance might cause Marvel to pump their brakes (and maybe even Disney) when it comes to the idea that T'Challa is not important to the success of the comics and movie franchises. If the film had made a billion, over a billion, or gotten close, people would be crowing that not recasting was the right move and here's the billion reasons why. But now that it's not looking like it won't even get close to Dr. Strange 2, a billion-dollar box office doesn't matter.

I have to wonder if the merchandising folks weren't told because Marvel was hedging. They felt better that T'Challa merchandise would sell, and it would also allow them to keep making money off the character in some way even if they were killing him off in the MCU (and it looked like they were sharpening the ax for him in the comics before Wakanda Forever's box office).

I think Coates did get away with it because he got to have a full run, and not a short (or shortened) one like it appears Ridley is getting, or like Tom King got with Batman.

Didn't know that Miles or Kamala were as successful as they've been regarding their publishing histories. That's cool for them.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 01-02-2023 at 02:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Funny thing I remember someone pointing out, is that the recent series extreme sympathy for black hat populist groups kinda makes them come across as the Wakandan equivalent to the alt-right

Which considering the excessive homegrown nationalism and xenophobia they demonstrate, isn't really far off the mark. Hell Zenzi and Tetu aligned with actual Nazis. The fact Tosin comes from an extremally secluded village that actively looks down on everyone and considers himself the only true statesmen is also kinda dog-whistly.

There is a reason why those people who constantly brag about how "true American" they are tend to be a red flag.

Its like writing a series set in Japan and you wind up coming across as supportive to Imperial Japan.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    I have to wonder if the merchandising folks weren't told because Marvel was hedging. They felt better that T'Challa merchandise would sell, and it would also allow them to keep making money off the character in some way even if they were killing him off in the MCU (and it looked like they were sharpening the ax for him in the comics before Wakanda Forever's box office).
    What the movie does-the merchandise side doesn't pay attention to at times.
    You take him out and WHO is going to buy that stuff?

You make this a female lead franchise-you have a harder battle with merchandise.

See the WWE Divas. I saw it with Cap Marvel and Wonder Woman. It became an issue with DC Super Hero Girls. It took so long to get She-Ra Netflix dolls.
    Notice nothing is being done with Marvel Rising. Of ALL those dolls-everyone only wanted Patriot. The one they would not put in stores.

This is what fake woke don't get. You toss T'Challa away and get ready for a harder battle to sell stuff.

Stuff like this is actually HUGE for the character.

This is who you make BP "some kids spider-man"

You get them while they are young.

Kids just see Cool ass costume, cool tech, hanging with cool Spider-Man and get hooked.

you think my kid likes Spider-Man because of his "parker luck" and all that BS? No... he likes him because he saw kid cartoons with a cool funny dude in a cool costuem with cool powers and then people bought him toys with said character and he's hooked.

Do this with BP and you'll have them hooked. Even shuri works better int his format because "annoying little sister" is relatable lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What the movie does-the merchandise side doesn't pay attention to at times.
    You take him out and WHO is going to buy that stuff?

You make this a female lead franchise-you have a harder battle with merchandise.

See the WWE Divas. I saw it with Cap Marvel and Wonder Woman. It became an issue with DC Super Hero Girls. It took so long to get She-Ra Netflix dolls.
    Notice nothing is being done with Marvel Rising. Of ALL those dolls-everyone only wanted Patriot. The one they would not put in stores.

This is what fake woke don't get. You toss T'Challa away and get ready for a harder battle to sell stuff.
    I bought the new BP/T'Challa figure. I didn't realize that they based it on the Hudlin/Romita Jr.'s "Who Is The Black Panther?".

I got two Hatut Zeraze figures as well. That's all I was interested in.

Kids just see Cool ass costume, cool tech, hanging with cool Spider-Man and get hooked.

you think my kid likes Spider-Man because of his "parker luck" and all that BS? No... he likes him because he saw kid cartoons with a cool funny dude in a cool costuem with cool powers and then people bought him toys with said character and he's hooked.

Do this with BP and you'll have them hooked. Even shuri works better int his format because "annoying little sister" is relatable lol
    Yup. Kids see cool character, cool costume, cool moves and go "Yeah!"

They aren't thinking about Wakandan politics or should Tosin get a solo.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Oh yeah I remember this cartoon.

Black Panther, along with Hulk and Ms. Marvel regularly guest-star to hang out and help the Spider-Buddies so yeah this is good promotion for the guy.

Ultimate Member

Actually the merchandise guys do go after kids.

As HATED as Duke Thomas is by most of Bat Fandom-he has at least 3 figures in toyline aimed for kids under the age of 10. The Imaginext line.

Luke Fox is there too.

And there are books made for kids with various folks. One of the most read books in my entire school district is a John Stewart book (based on his JLU version) and it was never in stores.

There is so much stuff aimed for kids-who have ZERO issue with a new character or certain ones.

It has always been a battle of the adults standing in the way.

Jerry Craft of the New Kid book will tell you that. No kid had an issue with his Momma Boys book being about a black family. It was always the adults.

Ultimate Member

Quick question, where do folks get sales figures now?

Comichron hasn't been updating their data and ICV2 has paywalled their sales data.

I'm curious to see how much Ridley's run was actually selling before it's cancellation.