Page 23 of 111 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I have to applaud Lowe’s and Wells’s strategy: let’s deliberately thumb our noses at both Mary Jane and Ben Reilly fans simultaneously. I guess they really wanted to test Brevoort’s theory that anger sells comics.

So here’s a strategy: if people are done with this run, write a letter to spideyoffice@marvel.com and let them know why. Keep it unemotional as angry voices get dismissed.

Then don’t talk much about the book much. Negative word of mouth is still word of mouth.

Apathy is what truly kills a run.
    I honestly am considering writing a letter explaining why Ben should not be used to experiment with roles that Peter would never find himself in, as the whole point of the Clone Saga was that Ben and Peter are equals, and that Ben is merely a Peter who cannot live the life of Peter Parker, AND that THAT is enough of a hook/reason to publish stories featuring Ben Reilly.

-Pav, who will likely wait until the end of Dark Web to decide...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

The Artist does great works, she also using her artwork to promote her Cat shelter in the Philippines which I follow and financially support.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    The Artist does great works, she also using her artwork to promote her Cat shelter in the Philippines which I follow and financially support.
    I follow that account on Twitter and I thought it was a guy behind it.

All-New Member

At this point, I wouldn’t even be mad if the Scarlet Spider in “Across the Spiderverse” unmasked to reveal himself as a Miles Morales clone, because that’s what I’d expect from Sony and Marvel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I honestly am considering writing a letter explaining why Ben should not be used to experiment with roles that Peter would never find himself in, as the whole point of the Clone Saga was that Ben and Peter are equals, and that Ben is merely a Peter who cannot live the life of Peter Parker, AND that THAT is enough of a hook/reason to publish stories featuring Ben Reilly.

-Pav, who will likely wait until the end of Dark Web to decide...
    You’re a very eloquent writer and you are always fair and reasonable in your assessments; I encourage you to write!

In fact, I encourage anyone who feels like writing to do it. Doesn’t have to be magnum opus, just an honest and straightforward account of why you’re not reading/buying. And if you are reading/buying, you should write in, too.

It’s easy to leave praise/anger on a message board/social media, but writing in takes more effort and shows you’ve put thought into your reaction. And at least you know someone at Marvel will read it, even if just an intern

BANNED

She was broken out of jail. She knows that. She knows law enforcement will be looking for her based on that alone. Yet she has done nothing about her situation. She hasn’t tried to find a sympathetic lawyer (and when she went to Mary Jane for help with blowing the whistle on Beyond, that she could have mentioned needing legal help as well; MJ took her to the Bugle and MJ could have easily hooked her up with a Bugle reporter to tell her story and get a sympathetic public ear, both for the earlier miscarriage of justice and the jail break).

But no, Janine went to one diner - without even trying to disguise herself - had one law-abiding citizen doing his civic duty by calling the police, and decided “I AM EEEEEVUL NOW.”

She was sympathetic, but now she’s eye-rolling ridiculous. C’mon, what did she expect? A red carpet for breaking out of jail? And then she didn’t even try to tell Ben the truth and break him out of his psychosis, or look for additional help for him. Again, MJ would have helped her like she did before. She could even have gone to Peter for help.

But noooooooooooo, LEt’s MaKE jaNInE EEEEvuL.

There is zero thought being put into the stories. The only thing that seems to be driving the factory mindlessly spitting out the widgets is “let’s create more costumes and wacky variations so we can sell more action figures.”
    The last time she tried to clear her name through the proper legal channels, she was thrown in the penitentiary. It's pretty obvious the system has failed her and she has no faith in people helping her. Her entire life was ruined by defending herself from a rapist. "Civic duty." Come on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    The last time she tried to clear her name through the proper legal channels, she was thrown in the penitentiary. It's pretty obvious the system has failed her and she has no faith in people helping her. Her entire life was ruined by defending herself from a rapist. "Civic duty." Come on.
    Yes, it’s your civic duty if you see an escaped criminal to call the police. Not sure how that’s even a question.

And two wrongs don’t make a right. She clasped her hand to her forehead and declared, “I’m EEEVul now!” when she apparently didn’t do a thing to set her or Ben’s situation straight and she had access to people who would have gladly helped her and Ben. I agree she was sympathetic in her first incarceration but I don’t buy her motivation now at all.

You know, I do not like the ubiquitous plot point that people who have been wronged or bullied or otherwise victimised by the system naturally become villains. Because then the story becomes a post facto justification for continuing to treat them like villains, rather than for holding the people who wronged or bullied them to account. It's accepting that there are problems with the way that power is used in our society that then implicitly discredits anyone who is trying to do something about it.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

BANNED

Yes, it’s your civic duty if you see an escaped criminal to call the police. Not sure how that’s even a question.

And two wrongs don’t make a right. She clasped her hand to her forehead and declared, “I’m EEEVul now!” when she apparently didn’t do a thing to set her or Ben’s situation straight and she had access to people who would have gladly helped her and Ben. I agree she was sympathetic in her first incarceration but I don’t buy her motivation now at all.
    Ratting on a rape victim that was wrongly imprisoned out of a socially programmed loyalty to authority is very questionable. If she was that publicized that the guy was speaking to her so contemptuously to her, he obviously knew the details of the case. The law isn't always moral or right. It used to be your civic duty to rat out escaped slaves, too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    You know, I do not like the ubiquitous plot point that people who have been wronged or bullied or otherwise victimised by the system naturally become villains. Because then the story becomes a post facto justification for continuing to treat them like villains, rather than for holding the people who wronged or bullied them to account. It's accepting that there are problems with the way that power is used in our society that then implicitly discredits anyone who is trying to do something about it.
    I don't either, but people that are abused and have deep trauma tend to lash out and make mistakes in life, at times becoming abusers themselves.

I've frequently said that I think that way Marvel is treating Janine is problematic. But I can imagine a person who's known extreme abuse and betrayal her entire life might not really have a lot of warm feelings towards society at large.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Bleeding Cool called Rek-Rap a wanker, rofl.
    To be precise; they mused over whether that Rek-Rap is a parody of another character called The Wanker
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Ratting on a rape victim that was wrongly imprisoned out of a socially programmed loyalty to authority is very questionable. If she was that publicized that the guy was speaking to her so contemptuously to her, he obviously knew the details of the case. The law isn't always moral or right. It used to be your civic duty to rat out escaped slaves, too.
    Really? You know the details of every case in every public safety alert that comes across your notice? Or do you just know that an escaped murderer is on the loose?

What did Janine expect to happen? A ticker tape parade in her honor?

Janine is not an escaped slave and that is the epitome of a false equivalency. She was presumably tried by a jury of her peers and found guilty. Is the legal system always fair and just? No. But that’s not a reason to ignore laws, that’s a reason to fight to change them and to right wrongful sentences. Prisoners fight for fairness and there are organizations devoted to helping them every day.

And again, Janine could have asked MJ and Peter for help. She was introduced to Glory and could have tried to get the media on her side. But no. Instead:”I refuse to find help for Ben and I’m gonna be EEEEEEvul now too!”

It’s bad writing and makes her unsympathetic.

BANNED

Really? You know the details of every case in every public safety alert that comes across your notice? Or do you just know that an escaped murderer is on the loose?

What did Janine expect to happen? A ticker tape parade in her honor?

Janine is not an escaped slave and that is the epitome of a false equivalency. She was presumably tried by a jury of her peers and found guilty. Is the legal system always fair and just? No. But that’s not a reason to ignore laws, that’s a reason to fight to change them and to right wrongful sentences. Prisoners fight for fairness and there are organizations devoted to helping them every day.

And again, Janine could have asked MJ and Peter for help. She was introduced to Glory and could have tried to get the media on her side. But no. Instead:”I refuse to find help for Ben and I’m gonna be EEEEEEvul now too!”

Well, Beyond made it look like she was released legitimately, so continously blaming Janine as if she broke out is pointless. The guy obviously knew something about the case because he seemed very angry and judgemental about her killing her dad.

You're again saying that she should go through all the proper channels when that's exactly what got her life destroyed in the first place.

The legal system is frequently unjust and I disagree with your assertion that a victim of that system should just submit to the rules, even when it's shown itself to be cruel and unjust. Rolling over for corrupt authorities punishing innocent people and victim blaming isn't the argument you think it is. Neither is repeatedly spelling "evil" that way.

I sympathize with her for being written poorly!

-Pav, who is reminded of Legion metatextually complaining about his existence...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details