Page 52 of 111 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

You know? I'm starting to think the only character that Marvel loves to torture more than Peter is Ben himself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    You know? I'm starting to think the only character that Marvel loves to torture more than Peter is Ben himself.
    Well he was created by The Jackal to serve that exact purpose

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I don't inherently mind the Chasm identity / powers / costume being explored further -- but I will say that I'd prefer a spidery name for this new super-persona even if everything else sticks. Ben is a Spider.

-Pav, who would also prefer good writing but...
    I guess I feel like you only get one chance at a first impression and the dropped the ball in Dark Web. That was there chance to show everyone what's so interesting about this iteration as Ben and they really dropped the ball that the idea of humoring a redo feels exhausting.

The new powers were especially disappointing. The web objects is nothing we haven't seen Peter do with regular webbing so that one landed flat to me. Offensive Spider-Sense is one of those things that sounds good on paper but... Well to start "offensive" is an interesting description when it reacts when he's being attacked aka defensively haha. But nit picking aside energy manifestations that react to attacks is gonna be difficult to write good scenarios around and it was already not used in the dark web finale. I don't have faith that that power gets explored in an interesting way. It likely gets a scene where Peter just beats it because he's the protagonist, if it comes into play in a big way.

Also yeah, good writing would definitely be a gift

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    will do it
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I honestly wouldn't want to see the Chasm persona persist. I just really don't care for the name, the costume, the loosely defined powers. The random and unexplained glowing gas. Nothing about the concept is interesting to me. I find it really embarrassing. I know it's superheroes but it just seems extra pathetic that Ben designed this edgelordy costume and is going around telling people "Call me CHASM because that's ALL THAT'S LEFT WITHIN ME".

I think it's dumb, even among other superhero stupidity.
    The glowing green gas surrounding him is actually a product of the psycho-reactive quantum-shifting polymeric goo he was immersed in at the end of Spider-Man Beyond, though I will agree with you that the whole Chasm thing has been an unfortunate waste among unfortunate wastes.

I don't inherently mind the Chasm identity / powers / costume being explored further -- but I will say that I'd prefer a spidery name for this new super-persona even if everything else sticks. Ben is a Spider.

Hard same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Well he was created by The Jackal to serve that exact purpose
    Pretty much, yeah.

I guess I feel like you only get one chance at a first impression and the dropped the ball in Dark Web. That was there chance to show everyone what's so interesting about this iteration as Ben and they really dropped the ball that the idea of humoring a redo feels exhausting.

The new powers were especially disappointing. The web objects is nothing we haven't seen Peter do with regular webbing so that one landed flat to me. Offensive Spider-Sense is one of those things that sounds good on paper but... Well to start "offensive" is an interesting description when it reacts when he's being attacked aka defensively haha. But nit picking aside energy manifestations that react to attacks is gonna be difficult to write good scenarios around and it was already not used in the dark web finale. I don't have faith that that power gets explored in an interesting way. It likely gets a scene where Peter just beats it because he's the protagonist, if it comes into play in a big way.

Also yeah, good writing would definitely be a gift
    Indeed, though Peter was also making more complex and elaborate web constructs when he temporarily bonded with the Uni-Power/Enigma Force as Captain Universe Spidey, so there is that, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The glowing green gas surrounding him is actually a product of the psycho-reactive quantum-shifting polymeric goo he was immersed in at the end of Spider-Man Beyond, though I will agree with you that the whole Chasm thing has been an unfortunate waste among unfortunate wastes.
    So my beef here is that's not been stated anywhere in the comics, as I recall. Obviously you can infer that because it's the same color as the goo but there's been no explanation or as far as I know even mention about why the goo bath makes a glow or a gas. Why it only happens when the costume is on and he's just normal when it's off. Why it happens selectively.

There's nothing, like the character itself. It's not a big deal, especially compared to everything else lacking about the character. But it's another layer to Chasm's complete flop as a concept.

I think the most positive thing anyone has said about him is that it's better than there being no Ben Reilly, which I find very debatable
    Last edited by Coop; 04-25-2023 at 05:30 PM.

An Incarnation Of Death. The Black Death's Avatar

So my beef here is that's not been stated anywhere in the comics, as I recall. Obviously you can infer that because it's the same color as the goo but there's been no explanation or as far as I know even mention about why the goo bath makes a glow or a gas. Why it only happens when the costume is on and he's just normal when it's off. Why it happens selectively.

There's nothing, like the character itself. It's not a big deal, especially compared to everything else lacking about the character. But it's another layer to Chasm's complete flop as a concept.

I think the most positive thing anyone has said about him is that it's better than there being no Ben Reilly, which I find very debatable
    Well, Ben being Chasm in his battle against Peter has explicitly mentioned that the psycho-reactive polymeric substance of quantum change is one of the causes why has those new powers and has that green aura, it has also been briefly mentioned in other comics, so if it is said in the comics, even if it was not said in the comics it is so obvious that you can easily assume that the psycho-reactive polymeric substance of quantum change is one of the causes why Ben has that green aura.

Also the concept of Chasm is not the problem, the real problem is the writer and how executed the Chasm concept poorly, so far the only one who has used Ben Reilly/Chasm is Zeb Wells and we all know Wellls is not a very good writer when it comes to using characters from the Spider-Man mythos, if it had been another more efficient writer would have executed the idea of Ben being Chasm the right way, even making at the very least the whole Dark Web storyline more decent, plus it's not too late for another writer to take the reins of Ben Reilly/Chasm and use Ben with better writing.

You seem to be a bit out of date with that because there are people who have actually commented positive things about Chasm on various social networks, like Chasm's costume design, his new powers and there are even people who have cosplayed Chasm, there are still people who find something positive about Chasm and there are even people who truly like Chasm, very few people like that but still there are those kind of people, another thing is that you find the bad side to everything, lol. Also isn't this like the sixth time you ask almost the same question about why Ben Reilly/Chasm has that green aura?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    Well, Ben being Chasm in his battle against Peter has explicitly mentioned that the psycho-reactive polymeric substance of quantum change is one of the causes why has those new powers and has that green aura, it has also been briefly mentioned in other comics, so if it is said in the comics, even if it was not said in the comics it is so obvious that you can easily assume that the psycho-reactive polymeric substance of quantum change is one of the causes why Ben has that green aura.

Also the concept of Chasm is not the problem, the real problem is the writer and how executed the Chasm concept poorly, so far the only one who has used Ben Reilly/Chasm is Zeb Wells and we all know Wellls is not a very good writer when it comes to using characters from the Spider-Man mythos, if it had been another more efficient writer would have executed the idea of Ben being Chasm the right way, even making at the very least the whole Dark Web storyline more decent, plus it's not too late for another writer to take the reins of Ben Reilly/Chasm and use Ben with better writing.

You seem to be a bit out of date with that because there are people who have actually commented positive things about Chasm on various social networks, like Chasm's costume design, his new powers and there are even people who have cosplayed Chasm, there are still people who find something positive about Chasm and there are even people who truly like Chasm, very few people like that but still there are those kind of people, another thing is that you find the bad side to everything, lol. Also isn't this like the sixth time you ask almost the same question about why Ben Reilly/Chasm has that green aura?
    Why does he have the green aura that makes him glow and emit gas when his costume is on sometimes lol? Point to an on panel explanation. There isn't one. That's my point. It's another part of how this concept was bad. Because they don't make any effort to even get into the how's and whys of his powers.

I'm glad you are out there keeping tabs on what everyone has to say about Chasm but I don't care. The sentiment is overwhelming not positive. I'm glad you seem to think there's some morally superior stance to finding something to appreciate about garbage but it doesn't impact me LOL. All you did was come at me with a personal attack "you find the bad side to everything" crap which honestly, is bullshit. And unnecessary. I'm here talking about characters and stories and you had to come in and bitch about me. So sort yourself out. Cause while I can dump on this story and the characters, I don't go after other posters for their opinions when I don't care for them.

All your useless what if someone else who could write did it. What if someone made dark web decent don't mean anything because the reality is what we have which is a bad execution of a bad concept in several bad stores.

To me, the concept is a problem and not interesting. Which news flash, is why I said it.

Here's another one for your tally. Why does he glow green and emit gas randomly?
    Last edited by Coop; 04-26-2023 at 05:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think is more a "glow" than gas

An Incarnation Of Death. The Black Death's Avatar

Why does he have the green aura that makes him glow and emit gas when his costume is on sometimes lol? Point to an on panel explanation. There isn't one. That's my point. It's another part of how this concept was bad. Because they don't make any effort to even get into the how's and whys of his powers.

I'm glad you are out there keeping tabs on what everyone has to say about Chasm but I don't care. The sentiment is overwhelming not positive. I'm glad you seem to think there's some morally superior stance to finding something to appreciate about garbage but it doesn't impact me LOL. All you did was come at me with a personal attack "you find the bad side to everything" crap which honestly, is bullshit. And unnecessary. I'm here talking about characters and stories and you had to come in and bitch about me. So sort yourself out. Cause while I can dump on this story and the characters, I don't go after other posters for their opinions when I don't care for them.

All your useless what if someone else who could write did it. What if someone made dark web decent don't mean anything because the reality is what we have which is a bad execution of a bad concept in several bad stores.

To me, the concept is a problem and not interesting. Which news flash, is why I said it.

Here's another one for your tally. Why does he glow green and emit gas randomly?
    First. try to relax, lately you are very tense, to be clear I was joking with you not making a "personal attack", it seems that you take every comment very literally seriously, besides it's not that big of a deal it's just a simple joke comment, it's not my problem if you get affected by a simple joke comment.

Second, don't confuse things either, just because I try to find something positive in Chasm doesn't mean I detest and still hate all the **** Marvel has done with Ben's character lately, also you know what's really unnecessary and annoying? Repeating almost the same comment with the same old repetitive theme, everyone here already knows how fucking badly Marvel executed the whole Chasm thing, so it's unnecessary for you to keep saying something obvious that most here hate and would rather not even remember. You can keep complaining all you want and beating around the same old bush about the whole Chasm thing, but it will change absolutely nothing. It's up to you to continue the same old cycle of negativity.

Also to make a small clarification, it's fine to complain and all that, but doing it to excess got so tiresome and boring to watch, at least you could vary the topic a bit instead of continuing with the same repetitive complaints about Chasm, like sharing information about Ben Reilly's future, sharing fanarts related to Ben and that kind of stuff, that's better than continuing with the same cycle of hate already so tiring to watch as usual.

Third, I'm starting to think that you really love Chasm, but hate to admit it that's why you continually keep talking all things Chasm related, you know there's a saying that what you hate the most deep down is what you love the most, that could probably be your case with Chasm .

PS: That last one try to take it as a joke, because that's what a simple harmless joke is .
    Last edited by The Black Death; 04-26-2023 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I think is more a "glow" than gas
    Could be a little of both, glowing gas and all.

Ben has gas. Gotcha.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    Ben has gas. Gotcha.
    Ha, good one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    Ben has gas. Gotcha.
    That's why he is so mad lately

Astonishing Member

I don't inherently mind the Chasm identity / powers / costume being explored further --

I do. Just gotta put my cards on the table. It’s admirable some people are open minded about the Chasm identity, and at the very least I’ll say it’s better than when Ben was NuJackal (verrrry low bar). But I can’t hide my true feelings… overall I still hate it, and hate when he’s a bad guy…. or even an edgelord antihero. Ben IS Scarlet Spider… and a substitute Spidey when Peter is out of commission or unavailable. I can’t have it any other way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I do. Just gotta put my cards on the table. It’s admirable some people are open minded about the Chasm identity, and at the very least I’ll say it’s better than when Ben was NuJackal (verrrry low bar). But I can’t hide my true feelings… overall I still hate it, and hate when he’s a bad guy…. or even an edgelord antihero. Ben IS Scarlet Spider… and a substitute Spidey when Peter is out of commission or unavailable. I can’t have it any other way.
    I could accept this compromise for now...being a villain is where I draw the line