Page 16 of 111 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    Surprised everyone loves the Chasm costume so much, am I the only one who thinks it’s a massive downgrade from any of his costumes? (yeah even the cosplay one)
    No I definitely agree that the costume is terrible. It’s basically just an emo version of his original Spider-Man suit and the color scheme just feels random for him and overdone in general. It feels like it’s got all of the energy of a try hard emo teen shouting ‘It’s not just a phase mom! I have real darkness inside!’
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 01-19-2023 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    A costume doesn't make you 'cool', character work does, and they have butchered that new threads or not
    C'mon, Mr. Rat. You know a costume adds or subtracts from the coolness of a character. This is a visual medium, after all!

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    Surprised everyone loves the Chasm costume so much, am I the only one who thinks it’s a massive downgrade from any of his costumes? (yeah even the cosplay one)
    The quality of the costume definitely hinges on the artist, but I generally like it better than the cosplay costume, which just screamed "Spidercide" and wouldn't quiet down

And I like JRjr, but I agree that his interpretation of the Chasm costume is pretty bad. But what honestly bothers me more about his new identity is it's lack of reference to spiders. "Recluse" would've been better, I think.

-Pav, who was enamored with Ben's Scarlet costume from the get-go...
    Last edited by Pav; 01-19-2023 at 12:04 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    C'mon, Mr. Rat. You know a costume adds or subtracts from the coolness of a character. This is a visual medium, after all!
    There's so many times a costume hasn't clicked with me because I'm not at first attached to the content of a character. Not the first time that has happened to Ben either, remember his Spidercide like outfit during the infancy of PAD's run?

Astonishing Member

Same here, one of the reasons I love Ben.

Maybe not the most important, but certainly the first.

I mean would people be as enamored with the character if when he appeared in the 90's Clone Saga he was just wearing the exact identical Spider-Man costume Peter wore?

As children we all thought it looked cool, so much so we demanded Peter David put him right back into it during his brief solo series.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

All-New Member

Got myself this for Xmas. Makes no it even better since this’ Peter’s first meeting of Ben as Chasm. Plus it’s cathartic to see a beaten unconscious Norman Osborn in the bg.

Last edited by Spidey-Ben; 01-19-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey-Ben View Post
    Got myself this for Xmas. Makes no it even better since this’ Peter’s first meeting of Ben as Chasm. Plus it’s cathartic to see a beaten unconscious Norman Osborn in the bg.

One of the highest marks of an otherwise disappointing saga.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

The quality of the costume definitely hinges on the artist, but I generally like it better than the cosplay costume, which just screamed "Spidercide" and wouldn't quiet down

And I like JRjr, but I agree that his interpretation of the Chasm costume is pretty bad. But what honestly bothers me more about his new identity is it's lack of reference to spiders. "Recluse" would've been better, I think.

Recluse would’ve been a great name because it has a double meaning… of course, recluse spider. But also recluse from society and even humanity.

Instead we got…. CHASM! Ugh.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Recluse would’ve been a great name because it has a double meaning… of course, recluse spider. But also recluse from society and even humanity.

Instead we got…. CHASM! Ugh.
    Agreed. Recluse or crimson spider would be better than chasm. Heck even though I love Ben as Spider-Man or scarlet spider, I’d rather he have bonded with a new symbiote or toxin and became a red Spider-Man that way than any of this chasm garbage.

If they ever make a Scarlet Spider in Japan, they could be a female character called "Manjushage" which translates to "Red Spider-Lily". IDK, just a random thought that sounded cool.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey-Ben View Post

What a gift man!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    If they ever make a Scarlet Spider in Japan, they could be a female character called "Manjushage" which translates to "Red Spider-Lily". IDK, just a random thought that sounded cool.
    That would be cool. Speaking of Spider-Men in Japan, besides Sakura Spider from Deadpool: Samurai, there could also "Jorogumo," which is literally the name of a female spider-yokai in Japanese myth and folklore that lures unwary men by taking the form of a beautiful woman and then devours them. Given that the original Spider-Woman used to uncontrollably emit pheromones that made men fall in love with her and women repulsed by her . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That would be cool. Speaking of Spider-Men in Japan, besides Sakura Spider from Deadpool: Samurai, there could also "Jorogumo," which is literally the name of a female spider-yokai in Japanese myth and folklore that lures unwary men by taking the form of a beautiful woman and then devours them. Given that the original Spider-Woman used to uncontrollably emit pheromones that made men fall in love with her and women repulsed by her . . .
    Why do I picture a symbiote when I think about that? That would be a cool addition to Spider comics.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Why do I picture a symbiote when I think about that? That would be a cool addition to Spider comics.
    Random question, but I like your avatar. Do you actually have that Spider-Man/Backlash crossover? It’s one of the only (THE only?) Ben Reilly appearances I’ve never read.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Random question, but I like your avatar. Do you actually have that Spider-Man/Backlash crossover? It’s one of the only (THE only?) Ben Reilly appearances I’ve never read.
    I have it! It's really good. Sorry...I don't get to talk about Backlash/Spider-Man very much. It's such a great comic.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker