Page 2 of 111 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

At least we have Across the Spider-verse to look forward to.

Hopefully we can have a better year in the comics too cause I certainly ain't reading anything Chasm related.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Happy New Year to Ben and his fans! Here's to a better 2023 .

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Here's to the days when Peter and Ben were able to swing together, side by side, and not at each other. And to when Ben and Janine were just, mostly, two normal people in love with a new lease on life and a lot of hope for the future. I hope we can go back to those days one day.

Attachment 127719Attachment 127720
    Ah the scene of the Parker brothers swinging off to stop Beyond. Such a great moment. In an alternate universe, we got the ending where they save the day and restore Ben’s memories and the 2 part on good terms.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    At least we have Across the Spider-verse to look forward to.

Hopefully we can have a better year in the comics too cause I certainly ain't reading anything Chasm related.
    That's our best hope right now.

Maybe we'll have a good surprise! Can't wait for the brand synergy to kick in after ATSV...

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    That's an alternate cover for the Ben Reilly: Spider-Man miniseries. Dan Jurgens drew alternative cover for all the issues.
    thank you, i knew jurgens did some alt covers but i hadn't seen them all. he still draws one of the best reilly's

it's funny/ironic that i used to hate the ending to "revelations" in spider-man 75 but now looking at this image (after ben's resurrection) i can't help but think that it was actually a better and complete character arc.
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    thank you, i knew jurgens did some alt covers but i hadn't seen them all. he still draws one of the best reilly's

it's funny/ironic that i used to hate the ending to "revelations" in spider-man 75 but now looking at this image (after ben's resurrection) i can't help but think that it was actually a better and complete character arc.
    I still hate Revelations and Spider-Man #75 for all that happened (losing Mayday and Ben in the same issue was too much) but I can't help but agree that it made for a better character arc in regards to Ben than Beyond did, it started out pretty good with "Janine" in Issue #74 and got really interesting with ASM #75 but as it went on it clearly became a reflection of editor Nick Lowe believing that Ben no longer has a place in the Spider-Mythos as Spider-Man, despite the fact that there is indeed room in the world for more than two at a time. Honestly, I argue that it would be better that way, give Peter some time off to right the wrongs in his personal life and get his overall act together while Ben gets to kick some bad guy butt!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

As a Ben Reilly fan, I hope for better, and yet I anticipate painful, bitter disappointment. That said, given a few of us were discussing this in the End of the Spider-Verse thread, too, a much better idea for the overall Beyond arc would have been, if Ben had to turn or be turned evil, that said turn was ultimately the result of Beyond Corporation's true master's machinations and manipulations to make Ben into his/its/their new avatar on Earth-616 after "Jason Quantrell"/"Mr. Beyond" was defeated in Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers, which did include Spider-Man at the time. Perhaps the idea would be, on the part of the "Debaser Unit" Beyonder who took over the body of Jason Quantrell and assumed the alias Mr. Beyond, to coopt and corrupt Spider-Man as a heroic symbol out of spite and revenge for Spider-Man's role in his defeat, or to spite the heroes of Earth-616 overall for defeating him by taking and warping the greatest among them into something more akin to his twisted whims and desires, with "Chasm" being a reflection of that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As a Ben Reilly fan, I hope for better, and yet I anticipate painful, bitter disappointment. That said, given a few of us were discussing this in the End of the Spider-Verse thread, too, a much better idea for the overall Beyond arc would have been, if Ben had to turn or be turned evil, that said turn was ultimately the result of Beyond Corporation's true master's machinations and manipulations to make Ben into his/its/their new avatar on Earth-616 after "Jason Quantrell"/"Mr. Beyond" was defeated in Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers, which did include Spider-Man at the time. Perhaps the idea would be, on the part of the "Debaser Unit" Beyonder who took over the body of Jason Quantrell and assumed the alias Mr. Beyond, to coopt and corrupt Spider-Man as a heroic symbol out of spite and revenge for Spider-Man's role in his defeat, or to spite the heroes of Earth-616 overall for defeating him by taking and warping the greatest among them into something more akin to his twisted whims and desires, with "Chasm" being a reflection of that.
    Also, Monica could have used Ben (even as Chasm) to further pursue the Beyond corp.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Also, Monica could have used Ben (even as Chasm) to further pursue the Beyond corp.
    That could have worked, too. I'm still hoping the current Monica/Photon mini by Eve Ewing addresses Beyond at some point, though.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I feel the same. I expect the worst but hope for the best.

Ben perfectly has his place in the Spider-Man mythos. Without counting Miguel, he was the first Spider-Hero with Peter's exact powerset, the first man to durably take the mantle of Spider-Man and the one with the best suit and the newest weapons (stingers, impact webbing, etc.). It hurts to see him shafted this much.

I love Peter with all my heart but after Parker's industries, I feel his story is just kinda over? I don't know, I can't really relate to him anymore since he started PI (and lost it then).

I didn't despise the Spencer run but it was very so and so for me. The mystery box with kindred was tiring and we never had any true glimpse from Peter's support cast. For one issue, Peter's appartment was totally devastated and it had almost no impact on what followed. Peter went back to uni and there was almost nothing that actually used the fact that Peter was a student again. It had great moments (mainly the Peter/MJ moments, Peter comforting Felicia and Peter's moments of pure resilience against Carnage, Sin Eater, Kindred) but the Kindred mystery and all the times Peter died for pure shock value made me a little wary of it. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it for what it was but I felt it was the moment Peter didn't resonate with me as much as he did before.

I hope the best for both Peter and Ben in this new year. A Ben being Spider-Man arc with Peter truly giving him his blessing and both of them going on adventures together while bringing back Kaine and Teresa would be my dream issue. Although there is virtually no chance of it happening anytime soon, I really hope to see the Parker Family reunited someday...

Here's to all that came before and none of what came since*

I don't hold out any hope for Ben as far as the current Spidey editorial team go. Frankly, I think they made their feelings clear when they gave Not-Ben his new name....

Can't
    Have
    Another
    Spider-
    Man

*OK, except for DeMatteis' Ben mini-series, of course.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Ben...god, Ben...what have they done to you, man?
    I can only pray that someone will come to their senses and fix my poor man. I still don't think I would want him dead, but I'm definitely not a fan of whatever he is now. Hopefully ATSV will give him enough of a casual fanbase.
    (P.S. Thank you Jman for not naming this Ben Reilly: Chasm Appreciation because I'm pretty sure I would've ended up falling into the Ghostbusters slime and become Chasm myself)
    I take solace in that, subscribing to the Multiverse Theory, Ben is in much better shape somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    I take solace in that, subscribing to the Multiverse Theory, Ben is in much better shape somewhere else.

Not sure how I feel about this pairing...

Also Julia's poor daughter .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this pairing...

Also Julia's poor daughter .
    She'll warm up to her "Uncle Ben" in the SCARLET SPIDER-WOMAN maxi-series in my head canon.

Ben in his Las Vegas series kind of felt to me like "Diet Deadpool" with the scars and irreverent comedy bits. Prime Ben to me is when as Scarlet Spider he was kind of the Racer X to Pete's Speed Racer in the 90s.
    Last edited by bat22; 01-02-2023 at 12:31 PM.