Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    How was the James Robinson series?
    I enjoyed it and tis a shame it did not have a longer run.
    If Robinson had even half the time on Invaders that he had on Starman I've no doubt we'd still be talking about what a defining run for the concept his would've been.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I liked it, even though I was not a fan of where the heroes were at the particular time. It seemed like a slow burn tale, with pleanty of future ramifications, that didn't have the time to get where it intended.

Peace

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I enjoy it more in retrospect. It was a ... different take on the Invaders. There were definitely some great character moments, but I felt that Robinson had too many ideas, and jumped around on plots, but unfortunately, didn't realize he wasn't going to get the issues to tie everything together. He really pushed Jim Hammond.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Always preferred the junior team
    Not my favorite, but I don't think they have done much with the characters / teams, either.

Watched the new Indiana Jones movie, which I enjoyed, ... really makes me wish we had a period Invaders book.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I always thought the Robinson series was a solid attempt to do a modern day Invaders story that gave them a reason to get together that didn’t involve Nazis. I, too, liked it better when I revisited it a few years after it came out. Starved as I am for new Invaders material, I was fine when the series ended; upon a re-read, I wish we got another arc or two so Robinson could let the story breath a bit more.

Astonishing Member

I really liked Robinson's series a lot and was disappointed when it ended. It was a nice mix of the classic characters and some new legacy characters. I really wish we'd see more of Radiance; she was probably my favourite of his new additions in that run.

As Nomads1 already mentioned some of the classic Invaders had some status quo situations outside of the INVADERS book that Robinson had to work around, which wasn't always ideal -- but it did give him the opportunity to really focus on Jim Hammond and give him some well deserved spotlight and development.

Robinson clearly had some big plans for the book, and its a shame that the series ended before he had a chance to properly develop or resolve many of them.

Extraordinary Member

I know it's not much. But with the death of Roger Aubrey in the recent Cap run I would think a funeral with all the Invaders is in order.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I know it's not much. But with the death of Roger Aubrey in the recent Cap run I would think a funeral with all the Invaders is in order.
    Agreed. It's the only proper thing to do at this point...

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-02-2023 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. It's the only proper thing to do at this point...

I doubt we'll see it though. But we need to...and for Roger's peers to approve of Sharon becoming Destroyer...unless that was a one off for this story.

Can you imagine a who's who of the old time heroes who are still alive? Steve getting Namor out of prison for the funeral?

Edit...Just looked at the preview for 750 and looks like I am wrong....

Last edited by Chris0013; 07-03-2023 at 04:51 PM.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Watched the new Indiana Jones movie, which I enjoyed, ... really makes me wish we had a period Invaders book.
    Marvel needs to embrace it as a period book. It's okay to have a mini-series set at present date for a reunion, but an ongoing needs to be set in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Marvel needs to embrace it as a period book. It's okay to have a mini-series set at present date for a reunion, but an ongoing needs to be set in the past.
    Yeah! At this point, it's all that's left to yield a long & successful run...

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-04-2023 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    100% agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Yeah! At this point, it's all that's left to yield a long & successful run...

Loved this story. Great writing and great art. The only negative thing that I have to say is that Union Jack and Spitfire should have, IMHO, had a bigger role. The book also had a lot of potential. Too bad it only lasted two arcs.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 07-10-2023 at 07:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    100% agreed.

Loved this story. Great writing and great art. The only negative thing that I have to say is that Union Jack and Spitfire should have, IMHO, had a bigger role. The book also had a lot of potential. Too bad it only lasted two arcs.

Peace

Peace
    I would say to go with the post war years. What happened to the heroes after WW2? Operating during the Cold War and during conflicts like the Korean War, the Malayan Emergency, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I would say to go with the post war years. What happened to the heroes after WW2? Operating during the Cold War and during conflicts like the Korean War, the Malayan Emergency, etc...
    Most of that was covered/mentioned in the back story of the V-Battalion, over at the Classic Thunderbolts run. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that whole stoy, actually.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Most of that was covered/mentioned in the back story of the V-Battalion, over at the Classic Thunderbolts run. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that whole stoy, actually.

Peace
    Indeed. Here's proof (along with narration from Andrea Sterman):