Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Years to the Invaders and their fans !
    Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    This was an incredible forsight by Thomas. Introducing a team when there weren't plans to actually make a team. AWSOME!
    Heh. Well, Roy Thomas knew he could always circle back. I mean, look at what he did with Defenders. He laid the groundwork in one of the last issues of Dr. Strange. Picked it back up in a Hulk issue later. And finished it off in Sub-Mariner even later! Then did a proto Defenders like 10 issues later in Subby. And FINALLY got to do the actual team in Marvel Feature. Of course, books were decompressed and writers stuck around longer.

For me, this is THE Invaders line-up. I never liked the sidekicks on the team. And I actually think there should have been a larger adult team.

Many members to pick here. But Aarkus should also be here.

Peace
    I'm more a fan of smaller rosters. They kind of spun the kids of into the Kid Kommandos... though I don't think they got their own book.

Aarkus... hmmm. Trying to think of the Invaders issues he was in.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Was that the first 2-3 issues? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

I always liked the mysterious enemies, such as Brain Drain! and Agent Axis!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Don't forget blonde phantom was a member of the all winners squad also along with both spirit and patriot captain america's and second bucky.

Happy New Year!

Heh. Well, Roy Thomas knew he could always circle back. I mean, look at what he did with Defenders. He laid the groundwork in one of the last issues of Dr. Strange. Picked it back up in a Hulk issue later. And finished it off in Sub-Mariner even later! Then did a proto Defenders like 10 issues later in Subby. And FINALLY got to do the actual team in Marvel Feature. Of course, books were decompressed and writers stuck around longer.

I'm more a fan of smaller rosters. They kind of spun the kids of into the Kid Kommandos... though I don't think they got their own book.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Was that the first 2-3 issues? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

I always liked the mysterious enemies, such as Brain Drain! and Agent Axis!
    Actually, Aarkus only showed up in a 4 issue Invaders mini-series by Roy Thomas and Dave Hover in the 90's. I just mentioned that, having had the presence he had in later adventures, he should be in a list of potential Invaders members, not on the Alan Kupperberg piece featuring almost everybody that was in the Invaders vol. 1, obviously. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Peace

The member list forgot the post war invaders teams also like in the namor "return of the invaders" story and us agent and thin mans invaders team with the female torch.

Actually, Aarkus only showed up in a 4 issue Invaders mini-series by Roy Thomas and Dave Hover in the 90's. I just mentioned that, having had the presence he had in later adventures, he should be in a list of potential Invaders members, not on the Alan Kupperberg piece featuring almost everybody that was in the Invaders vol. 1, obviously. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Peace
    I was trying to remember if he was in the original series. I know he was in Alex Ross and Robinson's teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The member list forgot the post war invaders teams also like in the namor "return of the invaders" story and us agent and thin mans invaders team with the female torch.
    I thought I had added that New Invaders team. I know a lot of people didn't care for them, but I liked alot of that run. Blazing Skull was great in that. More updating!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member

I'd love to see a mini-series set in WWII --- maybe bringing back more of the Roy Thomas characters -- including the Crusaders who I loved.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'd love to see a mini-series set in WWII --- maybe bringing back more of the Roy Thomas characters -- including the Crusaders who I loved.
    I have often thought that this was the mistake Marvel has made with their Invaders books ... they try to set them in the present. They should just go for it and make it a WWII book -- something different from all the straight superhero books. It's not like the general public and comic readers aren't open to a war book / movie.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

If Marvel was going to set an Invaders book in the present then they would need to set up and acknowledge their current enemies would be Neo-Nazis, and set up enemies through a cult/group of them they can face. I would prefer a book set only in WWll but this back and forth stuff has happened for the last few series and we need a new model for the books imo.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I have often thought that this was the mistake Marvel has made with their Invaders books ... they try to set them in the present. They should just go for it and make it a WWII book -- something different from all the straight superhero books. It's not like the general public and comic readers aren't open to a war book / movie.
    I agree completly. The greatest appeal of certain books, such as Invaders, All-Star Squadron, LSH and even Guardians of the Galaxy, is exactly the fact that they are set in their own corner of the universe, allowing for almost unlimited world building. You can borrow from the main time-line, but you have the freedom that you don't have if it's fully part of it.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    If Marvel was going to set an Invaders book in the present then they would need to set up and acknowledge their current enemies would be Neo-Nazis, and set up enemies through a cult/group of them they can face. I would prefer a book set only in WWll but this back and forth stuff has happened for the last few series and we need a new model for the books imo.
    I've enjoyed what we've gotten because of the characters, but they aren't quite Invaders book. For me, it's not just fighting an enemy, or one that's like a Nazi, or for a just cause, but the war setting. It's supposed to be a war book. They'd have to take the characters off the MU board for years, and put them off planet in a war. That would be the only thing comparable, IMO.

I agree completly. The greatest appeal of certain books, such as Invaders, All-Star Squadron, LSH and even Guardians of the Galaxy, is exactly the fact that they are set in their own corner of the universe, allowing for almost unlimited world building. You can borrow from the main time-line, but you have the freedom that you don't have if it's fully part of it.

Peace
    Good point. It is a great opportunity for a creative team.

It's weird how Marvel Editorial gets an idea in their head, and just accept it as the way it is forever and ever. I remember years ago when Tom B repeatedly said Dr Strange doesn't sell, therefore they weren't giving him an ongoing. Despite the fact that Dr Strange held an ongoing book for 33 years straight. It wasn't until the movie that they finally relented and gave him a book, and their favorites push, with multiple reboots.

And it seems they've gotten it into their head that the Invaders have to be set in the present, because they think modern readers aren't interested in WWII. In spite of WWII being a successful subject matter in other media, and the subject of most of the History Channel, and the setting for their first (and my favorite) Captain America movie.

The Invaders won fans for the characters and the setting. Why not use that?

Any thoughts on the newest iteration of New Invaders from Captain America Sentinel of Liberty?

Who is the new mighty destroyer there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Who is the new mighty destroyer there?
    I believe it's still Roger Aubrey. Somehow.

Sort of related to the doing a WWII Invaders book ...

This year Scholastic with Marvel released an OGN by Alan Gratz and Brent Schnooner.

"As a life-long comics reader, I'm incredibly excited to be writing for Marvel, and for Captain America specifically," Gratz tells CBR. "Ed Brubaker's work on CAPTAIN AMERICA is one of my all-time favorite books, particularly his now-iconic WINTER SOLDIER storyline. One of the things I most loved about that run was the flashbacks he gave us of Cap and Bucky fighting alongside each other in World War II, and it's that youthful spirit of camaraderie and heroism I'm trying to recapture in Captain America: The Ghost Army."

This one-of-a-kind graphic novel that is sure to be met with major enthusiasm from fans of all ages. "Another thrill for me was that Marvel encouraged me to put in references to lots of other Marvel comics continuity," adds Gratz to CBR. "So while The Ghost Army is designed to be a super fun introduction to Captain America for a kid who has never picked up a Marvel comic book before, it's also got a lot of Easter eggs for adults who've been reading Marvel comics since they were kids themselves. My hope is that adult comics fans will share Captain America: The Ghost Army with the kids in their lives, and that they'll have a blast reading it together."

"Captain America: The Ghost Army is a perfect example of how Marvel storytelling can open exciting new doors into the context and influence of history," shares Sven Larsen, vice president, Licensed Publishing at Marvel. "Captain America has been one of our most iconic characters across the decades, and seeing Alan Gratz and Brent Schoonover bring the earlier years of Steve Rogers' career to life has been incredible. Like all of our original graphic novels with Scholastic, we hope this story will introduce both new and loyal fans to some of our most inspirational characters, and to a time where Cap, along with Bucky Barnes, interacts with real-life history and heroism in a thrilling new way."
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/cult...ica-ghost-army

Exactly what we were saying about WWII books. Too bad the comics side doesn't get this.

If you aren't familiar with Alan Gratz, he's a successful middle grade / YA author who mostly writes books about WWII. Again, there's definitely a market for the setting.