Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I believe it's still Roger Aubrey. Somehow.
    Roger Aubrey has a super-soldier variant in his system which slowed his aging process considerably. He has been at least semi-active as the Mighty Destroyer ever since the war, as the leader of the V-Battalion. He was seen in action as Mighty Destroyer alongside Spitfire and Union Jack III as recently as the James Robinson INVADERS series.

The NEW INVADERS series by Allan Jacobsen also showed that he can still shrink down to Dyna-Mite size if needed...although its not a trick he uses often.

Astonishing Member

I was just recalling why I started reading Invaders in the 1970s. I was never particularly a big Captain America fan, and I liked Namor better in his black spandex than in his speedo. I did like Fantastic Four's Human Torch, but that wasn't it either. It may have been Spitfire since I've always appreciate female characters on team books. But what kept me reading was the stories -- and the stylized art. Frank Robbins art really suite the WWII setting. Kinda heavy, but a little cartoony. The characters were drawn very animated -- never static. He also created some great character designs -- especially Union Jack and Warrior Woman.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I was just recalling why I started reading Invaders in the 1970s. I was never particularly a big Captain America fan, and I liked Namor better in his black spandex than in his speedo. I did like Fantastic Four's Human Torch, but that wasn't it either. It may have been Spitfire since I've always appreciate female characters on team books. But what kept me reading was the stories -- and the stylized art. Frank Robbins art really suite the WWII setting. Kinda heavy, but a little cartoony. The characters were drawn very animated -- never static. He also created some great character designs -- especially Union Jack and Warrior Woman.
    That's interesting, because for the longest time, it was Frank Robbins' art that kept me from reading the Invaders. LOL! But I remember Robinson saying that he LOVED Robbins' art, and couldn't believe there were Philistines like me, who didn't care for Robbins' art.

Robbins might have created Warrior Woman's costume, but I'm pretty sure it was Johnny Romita who created Union Jack's costume. He did most of the costumes at the time, including Namor's black body suit.

Which brings up a question. What artists of that era would you have liked to see on original Invaders? I would have loved to see Bill Everett handle an issue, but I believe he had passed before the ongoing book started.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Also never much of a Robbins fan as a kid. And, IMHO, it got worse when Colletta left and Springer took over the inking. I actually welcomed when Alan Kupperberg took over the art, even if he was far from a superstar artist. As an adult, I've come to appreciate more Robbins unique style, though he is still far from a favorite for me.

Peace

Which brings up a question. What artists of that era would you have liked to see on original Invaders? I would have loved to see Bill Everett handle an issue, but I believe he had passed before the ongoing book started.
    Hopefully it's alright, but my choice would be...

Jim Steranko

Astonishing Member

I think they need to redesign Peggy Carter. The Dryad thing doesn't work. Also they need Hammond/Spitfire/Union Jack back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think they need to redesign Peggy Carter. The Dryad thing doesn't work. Also they need Hammond/Spitfire/Union Jack back.
    I wouldn't object to any of that.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hopefully it's alright, but my choice would be...

Jim Steranko

Wow. Nice choice! Though I do associate him with a 60s vibe more, I think he'd have been an interesting choice for Invaders. Oh wait. He did do this painting for a trading card set.

And this print.

Wow. Nice choice! Though I do associate him with a 60s vibe more, I think he'd have been an interesting choice for Invaders. Oh wait. He did do this painting for a trading card set.

And this print.

Thanks, Reviresco! Truly magnificent artistry (IMHO):

Invaders at universal studios.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    Very cool!

I did not even know they had an Invaders post!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thanks, Reviresco! Truly magnificent artistry (IMHO):

I never knew Steranko had such a huge DC poroduction. Did he actually work on all those characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nice.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Everett did some of the Bronze Age issues of Sub-Mariner before it was cancelled. He died in 1973 and Invaders debuted in 1975.

I can understand not liking Robbin's work, but he was THE Invaders artist, IMHO. I wasn't a fan of stylized artists -- remember hating Howard Chaykin's art on a Detective Comics story. Also was not a fan of Simonson's Manhunter at that time (love that stuff now). I felt though that the time period called for a style that was different from mainstream artists and felt the series suffer when Robbins left. That said, I loved Gil Kane's covers on the series. And though not a fan of Jack Kirby at that time, I his work more now that I did then.

I thought Romitas may have designed Union Jack, but wasn't sure. As art director, he was responsible for designing a lot of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Everett did some of the Bronze Age issues of Sub-Mariner before it was cancelled. He died in 1973 and Invaders debuted in 1975.

I can understand not liking Robbin's work, but he was THE Invaders artist, IMHO. I wasn't a fan of stylized artists -- remember hating Howard Chaykin's art on a Detective Comics story. Also was not a fan of Simonson's Manhunter at that time (love that stuff now). I felt though that the time period called for a style that was different from mainstream artists and felt the series suffer when Robbins left. That said, I loved Gil Kane's covers on the series. And though not a fan of Jack Kirby at that time, I his work more now that I did then.

I thought Romitas may have designed Union Jack, but wasn't sure. As art director, he was responsible for designing a lot of characters.
    I'm not absolutely sure, but I suspect, from his job as art director, and the cover and design, that Union Jack costume was his.

Yes, but Robbins is why I didn't buy the Invaders when it was on the rack. It was later that I overcame my dislike and read and enjoyed the series. It's heresy, but I actually didn't care for Bill Everett when I was a kid either. I have since grown up and realized what an idiot I was and now love and appreciate Everett's art. Sadly, I haven't done the same with Robbins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Roger Aubrey has a super-soldier variant in his system which slowed his aging process considerably. He has been at least semi-active as the Mighty Destroyer ever since the war, as the leader of the V-Battalion. He was seen in action as Mighty Destroyer alongside Spitfire and Union Jack III as recently as the James Robinson INVADERS series.

The NEW INVADERS series by Allan Jacobsen also showed that he can still shrink down to Dyna-Mite size if needed...although its not a trick he uses often.
    Hmmm. I didn't remember him from Robinson's run. Guess I better read it again. ;p The previously issue referenced Dyna-Mite in a fun way.

In this Cap book, however, he's drawn like a very elderly person ... until he puts on the costume, obviously.