Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

There was definitely an LGBTQ "coming out" allegory in Gwen's story. (There was also one in JMS's story of Peter's coming out to May.)

If people want to headcanon her as transgendered that's fine. Doesn't really affect the story.

Please don't bring that discussion from twitter here.

I was there and was not nice.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    She could be, there's a lot of evidence to suggest it, or she could be a metaphor, there's a lot of evidence to suggest that too. Could be one, the other or a mixture of both.

Either way, she's amazing and I love what they did with her in the movie and what looks like may be coming in the third.
    I feel like that should be the final road on it. If people are running with the allegory being a confirmation, more power to them.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    There was definitely an LGBTQ "coming out" allegory in Gwen's story. (There was also one in JMS's story of Peter's coming out to May.)

If people want to headcanon her as transgendered that's fine. Doesn't really affect the story.
    Agreed. At the end of the day, she’s a great character. That’s all that matters.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Agreed. At the end of the day, she’s a great character. That’s all that matters.
    Yup an excellent observation. Though, I'm curious l, since marvel has her called Ghost spider why not stick with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Peoole will call it wokeness though.

One thing I’d love to know is why it seems that they keep on giving Gwen the partially dyed pink hair in various mediums. That pink hair was never Spider-Gwen’s look, it was Gwenpool’s and yet they keep giving it to her in the exact same way that Gwenpool wears it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    One thing I’d love to know is why it seems that they keep on giving Gwen the partially dyed pink hair in various mediums. That pink hair was never Spider-Gwen’s look, it was Gwenpool’s and yet they keep giving it to her in the exact same way that Gwenpool wears it.
    If I remember right, hair dyed Spider-gwen 1st appeared in Marvel Rising by accident as they used Gwenpoole for reference.she's been using it on and off in animated adaptations since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    If I remember right, hair dyed Spider-gwen 1st appeared in Marvel Rising by accident as they used Gwenpoole for reference.she's been using it on and off in animated adaptations since then.
    Yea, it seems really odd that it’s perpetuated rather than anyone realizing the mistake. At that point, not only are they taking away what was unique to another character’s look but blending a character that was never meant to be a Gwen Stacy into Gwen Stacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    If that's the reason, that's hilarious .

Fantastic Member

I've heard OF the trans gwen discourse, i just laughed and thanked god i'm not on twitter. But these LGBT head-cannon allegories are nothing new, Black piccolo is a classic one. Its a normal thing under-represented comunities play at to feel included in media. As a black dude and lifelong anime fan i've done my share of head canon race bending, but taking stuff on twitter and crusading is not my bag. lol

P.S. Gwen's world was my favorite, artistically speaking, so awesome the splash-colour motif

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post

So looking forward to this movie and Spider-Gwen's return.
    Spider-Gwen was second only to The Spectacular Spider-Man of things I liked the most from the movie. Glad she got a bigger part to play. Fan of Spider-Gwen since her debut in Edge of Spider-Verse #2 which I have two first printings of and read the subsequent series by the same creative team.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

It just dawned on me. Marvel hasn’t made a tie comic to ATSV version of her. I think some fans or newcomers would give it shot. Even 5 issue mini

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    It just dawned on me. Marvel hasn’t made a tie comic to ATSV version of her. I think some fans or newcomers would give it shot. Even 5 issue mini
    She'd probably just end up fighting AU versions of herself .