Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    is this her fate now just fighting countless copies of herself to claim supremacy?
    Feels like it. The curse of Gwen Stacy .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

is this her fate now just fighting countless copies of herself to claim supremacy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Feels like it. The curse of Gwen Stacy .
    This could yield interesting commentary on the overall relevance or significance of Gwen Stacy as a character in the hands of an at least half-decent writer.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    This could yield interesting commentary on the overall relevance or significance of Gwen Stacy as a character in the hands of an at least half-decent writer.
    In before the Barbie Doll comments...

Kinda the ultimate irony when you think about how much Marvel tried to cash in on those Gwen Stacy dressed as another character variant covers a couple years back. Now that’s all that they have this Gwen confronted with.

Astonishing Member

Doc Ock, Sandman, Vulture, Rhino, Kraven... Aren't we missing a member in this group? Or is Spider-Gwen actually going to be the sixth member because technically she's a Venom?

I thought "Shadow Clones" was a Naruto thing?
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    As a somewhat lapsed Naruto fan, yes, that is most likely where the name came from, though I am tempted to argue that the "Shadow" in "Shadow Clones" is a reference to the "shadow side" of Jungian psychology, which embodies aspects of a person's character that a person prefers to hide from themselves and/or others. Basically, each of those evil Gwen clones who've been hybridized with members of Spider-Man's classic rogues gallery represents an aspect of Gwen herself that Gwen would rather repress or deny. Kind of like what happened in Gwen-Verse, only the doppelgangers are evil.

I liked Gwen in Spectacular Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man. Ultimate Gwen was pretty cool.

Spider-Gwen is fun but she feels more limited than Miles or Cindy. I'm not sure leaving Earth 65 was a good idea.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-23-2023 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    people in the spider-verse wish the clones they have are shadow clones. Cause those guys go away and dont attempt to take over your life (except for that one filler episode)
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked Gwen in Spectacular Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man. Ultimate Gwen was pretty cool.

Spider-Gwen is fun but she feels more limited than Miles or Cindy. I'm not sure leaving Earth 65 was a good idea.
    The appeal of Spider-Gwen is that she is reverse Gwen Stacy-616. Gwen Stacy-616 is the love interest who died. Spider-Gwen is the Gwen Stacy who is the protagonist and who lost her love interest.

There are four problems that she has:

1) she just isn't very similar to any other version of Gwen Stacy, especially Earth-616 or Emma Stone's. Without that link she's a spider-woman with a cool costume.

2) she hit the world at just the right moment when a lot of people were generally annoyed with how Stone's version of the character had been fridged. The time of that momentum has passed.

3) the momentum was used up when the writers put her through the wringer and had her lose her powers and make a deal with evil Murdoch to get them back. That ran directly counter to the appeal of the character, which appeal was that she was the one who survived and got powers. She needed to be no more pessimistic and angsty than early eighties Spider-man. (It didn't help that the plot was completely misconceived, with evil Murdoch's motives not making any sense outside comic villainy.)

4) the ItSV films set her up as the love interest for Miles Morales. Much as the first film was one of the best animated or superhero films ever and exposed her to a wider audience, her thing is that she's Not the love interest. If she's the love interest for a better established male character she loses much of her point.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The appeal of Spider-Gwen is that she is reverse Gwen Stacy-616. Gwen Stacy-616 is the love interest who died. Spider-Gwen is the Gwen Stacy who is the protagonist and who lost her love interest.

There are four problems that she has:

1) she just isn't very similar to any other version of Gwen Stacy, especially Earth-616 or Emma Stone's. Without that link she's a spider-woman with a cool costume.

2) she hit the world at just the right moment when a lot of people were generally annoyed with how Stone's version of the character had been fridged. The time of that momentum has passed.

3) the momentum was used up when the writers put her through the wringer and had her lose her powers and make a deal with evil Murdoch to get them back. That ran directly counter to the appeal of the character, which appeal was that she was the one who survived and got powers. She needed to be no more pessimistic and angsty than early eighties Spider-man. (It didn't help that the plot was completely misconceived, with evil Murdoch's motives not making any sense outside comic villainy.)

4) the ItSV films set her up as the love interest for Miles Morales. Much as the first film was one of the best animated or superhero films ever and exposed her to a wider audience, her thing is that she's Not the love interest. If she's the love interest for a better established male character she loses much of her point.
    Those are valid points, though on your last one, a recent interview concerning Across the Spider-Verse referred to Gwen and Miles as "Spider-Besties," so they might be walking that back somewhat.

Those are valid points, though on your last one, a recent interview concerning Across the Spider-Verse referred to Gwen and Miles as "Spider-Besties," so they might be walking that back somewhat.
    Wouldn’t mind them doing that as between the comic arc they tried to push it in and the movie, the pairing felt kinda forced. Also doesn’t help that, even if this is an alternate version of her, Gwen is more known as Peter’s love interest so it felt weird them trying to push her as Miles’.

If I recall there wasn’t an interview about that. The spider-besties was just a twitter post one of their least liked twitter post cause knowbody was believing what the account poster was saying compared to what lord&miller have been hinted at in recent interviews. During the last q&a that came after the second trailer dropped they did say it will be hard for them but their relationship will continue to evolve threw out the film. Hailee Steinfeld Even says no matter far apart they are they will find some way back to one another. I think it’s best we just wait and see cause it seems to me like they are developing their relationship naturally taking their time with it instead of rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Wouldn’t mind them doing that as between the comic arc they tried to push it in and the movie, the pairing felt kinda forced.
    The movie worked well enough given movie conventions around meet cutes. The comic arc was awfully forced.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread11 View Post
    If I recall there wasn’t an interview about that. The spider-besties was just a twitter post one of their least liked twitter post cause knowbody was believing what the account poster was saying compared to what lord&miller have been hinted at in recent interviews. During the last q&a that came after the second trailer dropped they did say it will be hard for them but their relationship will continue to evolve threw out the film. Hailee Steinfeld Even says no matter far apart they are they will find some way back to one another. I think it’s best we just wait and see cause it seems to me like they are developing their relationship naturally taking their time with it instead of rushing.
    I don't think they want to go down that road to and could have been a request from marvel
    Last edited by Mercwmouth12; 01-25-2023 at 05:09 AM.