Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Wonder Woman and Supergirl

More variant covers keep appearing

Kyle Rayner learns about gender equality!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post

Haven't seen this one... it's gorgeous.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Do you think Diana having powers given to her by the Gods undermines her? Would you prefer if it was like in the Golden Age where the Goddesses only brought her to life and psionics was how the Amazons got their powers?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Do you think Diana having powers given to her by the Gods undermines her? Would you prefer if it was like in the Golden Age where the Goddesses only brought her to life and psionics was how the Amazons got their powers?
    No. She's already only here because of divine intervention. Might as well Fairytale her powers. Superman is given his powers because of a sun, doesnt earn them. batman can be Batman because his family is mega rich.

I feel like for a lot of people you can split the difference with the way Year One and Legend of WW did it, where she earns her godly powers by proving herself without them. It lacks the Marston-y psionic element of the GA but it does make her godly powers feel less "cheap."

That said, I'm very much in favor of her getting her powers from the goddesses at birth. I get why people don't like it (it removes the "any woman can be a Wonder Woman" element and makes it hard to fit the contest into the origin story), but I absolutely love how it fits into Hippolyta's arc. For all of the book's issues I loved how Dead Earth addressed it, where Diana's powers were an externalization of Hippolyta's pain and a promise that she'd never have to suffer as her foremothers did.

I think granted actual powers at a later date like in YO is probably a decent compromise but tbh, I always felt the "anyone woman can be WW" was always a bit on shake-y ground with her being a literal princess from a fantasy island. There can be stuff to make her more "relatable" but WW and Supes always veer more on the end of the "power fantasy" scale of superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I think granted actual powers at a later date like in YO is probably a decent compromise but tbh, I always felt the "anyone woman can be WW" was always a bit on shake-y ground with her being a literal princess from a fantasy island. There can be stuff to make her more "relatable" but WW and Supes always veer more on the end of the "power fantasy" scale of superheroes.
    In Golden Age Wonder Woman there's an issue where Diana takes a mortal girl to Paradise Island for an afternoon of training and she comes back with Amazon super powers. A lot of seems to come down to positive thinking. The same girl reappeared in another story where Diana had to teach her not to abuse her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post

I don't like this. I'm okay with cheesecake in most instances but this is too rich for my blood. From the waist up it's nice but what are those golden strap thingies about?

In my idea for a continuity, Amazons gain powers either through learning magic or mastering a fighting style that enhances their physiology. Diana uses the latter path but earns blessings from various goddesses through heroic rites of passage.