Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I feel that Clea is more of a cosmic character, but Strange is more immersed in the "monster world" in the comics, right?
    Clea has been EXCLUSIVELY part of the Strange & Defenders side of Marvel since her creation. She literally just finished headlining a series where she was Sorceress Supreme of Earth.

I think you need to let go of the whole "extra-dimensional origin = cosmic" thing. Really. She's as cosmic as Daimon Hellstrom.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Oh come on! Marvel-style banter has now even spread to the world of VIDEO GAMES and I think it's hilarious!:

Let's be real. Quippiness has become pervasive in almost all kinds of entertainment media these days. I really enjoy the super self-aware humor of the MCU with its winking and smirking at audiences. I just don't understand how people can think it has gotten stale at this point. I think it's as popular as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Clea has been EXCLUSIVELY part of the Strange & Defenders side of Marvel since her creation. She literally just finished headlining a series where she was Sorceress Supreme of Earth.

I think you need to let go of the whole "extra-dimensional origin = cosmic" thing. Really. She's as cosmic as Daimon Hellstrom.
    Dimensions looked like outer space to me in Strange 1. What's wrong with linking Strange and Clea to Silver Surfer? It'd be fun. Just like linking Strange and Clea to Ghost Rider would be fun. Clea could even tell Ghost Rider that flaming heads are something that she is used to. Funny.

Dimensions looked like outer space to me in Strange 1. What's wrong with linking Strange and Clea to Silver Surfer? It'd be fun. Just like linking Strange and Clea to Ghost Rider would be fun. Clea could even tell Ghost Rider that flaming heads are something that she is used to. Funny.
    Well, Silver Surfer doesn't even EXIST in the MCU, so I assumed you were referring to the comics.

If you want to turn them into quip machines in the movies, feel free. I pretty much stopped caring about the MCU after Shang Chi. The last few films have done nothing for me.

Well, Silver Surfer doesn't even EXIST in the MCU, so I assumed you were referring to the comics.

If you want to turn them into quip machines in the movies, feel free. I pretty much stopped caring about the MCU after Shang Chi. The last few films have done nothing for me.
    I loved the humor of the old MCU movies. The current Rick and Morty stuff is just not my thing. I think it would be cool if the Silver Surfer meets up with Strange and Clea in the MCU though. I actually also stopped caring about the MCU after NWH. I liked Shang-Chi as well. I think 2022 was by FAR the worst year for superhero movies EVER. Morbius, MoM, L&T, Black Adam, and WF were all so underwhelming. I watched Strange 2, Thor 4 and BP 2 and thought they were terrible. I think the Strange, Thor and Black Panther franchises are in DEEP trouble sadly. And things aren't looking good for Ant-Man either. I was fine with Ms. Marvel, but the rest of the MCU shows in 2022 did nothing for me. I did watch some killer documentaries recently and the Super Bowl was a lot of fun.

Oh come on! Marvel-style banter has now even spread to the world of VIDEO GAMES and I think it's hilarious!:

Let's be real. Quippiness has become pervasive in almost all kinds of entertainment media these days. I really enjoy the super self-aware humor of the MCU with its winking and smirking at audiences. I just don't understand how people can think it has gotten stale at this point. I think it's as popular as ever.
    Cracking jokes and humor has it's place but Clea is definitely not that type of character. Completely flipping her character like that just to appease people that have to laugh whenever they see a movie would be a complete disservice to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Cracking jokes and humor has it's place but Clea is definitely not that type of character. Completely flipping her character like that just to appease people that have to laugh whenever they see a movie would be a complete disservice to the character.
    I'm hoping Clea doesn't take herself too seriously in the MCU. I understand why the female characters in WF were serious, but I think if Clea has more personality than those ladies I would be very happy. I mean, her costume IS pretty ridiculous. And we all know that the MCU LOVES jokes about superhero names/costumes. So I expect some humor there!

The overly repetitive and interchangeable nature of it eventually gets old and unfunny, like laugh tracks lol.

Can't believe that this kind of discussion is still going on in these threads, I stopped checking out CBR last year on the last Clea thread, and I'm surprised this is still going on here...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The overly repetitive and interchangeable nature of it eventually gets old and unfunny, like laugh tracks lol.

Can't believe that this kind of discussion is still going on in these threads, I stopped checking out CBR last year on the last Clea thread, and I'm surprised this is still going on here...
    I think it's because Marvel "banter" has become a divisive issue among MCU fans. Lots of posters on various forums think that MCU humor is cringe and wish they would cut that **** out. But lots of people find it endearing and think it's a big reason why Marvel movies are so popular. I personally prefer a good balance of seriousness and comedy. I mean, jokes about superhero names and costumes is bottom of the barrel comedy but I still love it when the MCU goes there.

I think it's because Marvel "banter" has become a divisive issue among MCU fans. Lots of posters on various forums think that MCU humor is cringe and wish they would cut that **** out. But lots of people find it endearing and think it's a big reason why Marvel movies are so popular. I personally prefer a good balance of seriousness and comedy. I mean, jokes about superhero names and costumes is bottom of the barrel comedy but I still love it when the MCU goes there.
    I'm pretty sure you were the cause last thread. I _know_ we've had this conversation before...

I'm pretty sure you were the cause last thread. I _know_ we've had this conversation before...
    If I remember right last year's thread boiled down to everything being too violent and of course that everyone in every movie should be quippy humor dispensers. Regardless we're about a month away from the relaunch and I can't wait to see what Jed has in store for us.
    Last edited by Steroid; 02-15-2023 at 07:54 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I honestly do not understand how you can say the Silver Surfer / Galactus storyline is your favorite cosmic storyline, and then say you think Galactus should be cracking f88king dad jokes. I mean ... WTF? It's one of the most serious, heartbreaking, pretentious, angsty, literally world ending storylines. The tragedy is the point of that storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

It only goes on when Albert1981 shows up.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I honestly do not understand how you can say the Silver Surfer / Galactus storyline is your favorite cosmic storyline, and then say you think Galactus should be cracking f88king dad jokes. I mean ... WTF? It's one of the most serious, heartbreaking, pretentious, angsty, literally world ending storylines. The tragedy is the point of that storyline.
    Whoa WTF? I can safely say that the day Galactus goes around cracking dad jokes will be the day I quit reading or watching anything Marvel related.

I just don't understand the recent backlash against Marvel humor. Yes, lots of characters crack jokes. But I think people are exaggerating how much of it there is. I haven't been thrilled with the Marvel movies lately, but I don't feel that the banter is THAT overbearing. And I don't think it's the cause of the recent decline in the MCU's popularity. I mean, other franchises (such as the new Dungeons & Dragons movie) feels like a Guardians flick!:

I love this.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 02-15-2023 at 09:37 PM.

It only goes on when Albert1981 shows up.
    I REALLY don't want a Silver Surfer story to end up like Wakanda Forever. That kind of tone (in BP2) just sucks the fun out of superhero movies/shows. WF was a dark slog to get through. I liked Namor's backstory, but I do feel that Aquaman movie had more appeal to the masses because it was more visually stunning and funny. I mean who can forget "Permission to come aboard?" That **** was hilarious.

There is definitely pathos in Norrin's storyline with Galactus, but bad guys can be funny (to a certain extent). I mean, Ultron is my all-time favorite MCU villain. I'd say MOST MCU fans would LOVE to have Spader voice Ultron again. Sure the movie wasn't that well-received, but that wasn't Spader's fault. These are films that are directed/aimed towards kids (and really immature dudes such as myself).