Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Since Gunn claimed that all shows/movies in the DCU will be connected, I am PRAYING not only that this Circe is indeed our Circe, but that she is not turned into some goofy cannon fodder that is easily defeated by Creatures Commandos of all people.
    Think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive...

(but if they do to Circe what that stupid animated film with Catwoman did to Cheetah, my interest in the DCU is going to evaporate...)

Wouldn't be the first time Circe was in a story about a bunch of soldiers. Really just a question of if they cross paths with her by visiting her island, or by passing through Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time Circe was in a story about a bunch of soldiers. Really just a question of if they cross paths with her by visiting her island, or by passing through Greece.
    Yeah, heard someone named Apollonius Rhodius wrote a story like that in the 3rd century BC. It's definitely not new ground that's for sure.

The real question is how much Circe kicks butt... which isn't a given, but that depends on if they try to fight her. Circe is fickle and moody, but not always hostile.

Also, if you go by the old myths... Circe should look kind of like this: _3de42e7d-71f0-4696-9a8a-0ddde62a31f5.jpg

Being a descendant of Helios made her not look Human.... 'cause she's NOT Human.

Damn, I definitely understand why Dr. Psycho is a classic WW villain that would be incredibly problematic to bring to live-action, especially since we have nothing even close to a balance in regard to representation of little people in mass media. However, watching the trailers to the upcoming Hunger Games prequel reminds me of how much I still wish for Peter Dinklage to play the psychic villain in a WW movie. It's never gonna happen, and I am at peace with that, but oh, boy...what a badass he would be in the role.

ETA: Seriously, in an ideal world, little people would be portrayed in all kinds of roles on film, TV, animation, webseries, etc. They would be portrayed as heroes, villains, morally questionable characters, saintly do-gooders, evil bastards, and everything in between. They would be romantic leads, action heroes, supporting characters, at al.

If we lived in an ideal world like that, I feel that Dr. Psycho would've already been the main villain in a WW film, because he is, thematically, the perfect foe for the preeminent comic book superheroine (one that is also, for many people, the greatest symbol of feminism in pop culture).

I know that he has a substantial presence in the Harley Quinn animated show, but that is a much smaller platform than a 200-million-dollar blockbuster live action film, which would be crucified in 2023, if it presented a little person as an unrepentantly misogynistic, evil psychic rapist.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 11-06-2023 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Also, if you go by the old myths... Circe should look kind of like this: _3de42e7d-71f0-4696-9a8a-0ddde62a31f5.jpg

Being a descendant of Helios made her not look Human.... 'cause she's NOT Human.
    Personally ive always assumed the forms we were seeing were not her true form. Cause if you can turn people into animals, then changing how you look yourself should be childs play.
    I cling to this headcannon because id otherwise seriously struggle with her many and varied appearances over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Personally ive always assumed the forms we were seeing were not her true form. Cause if you can turn people into animals, then changing how you look yourself should be childs play.
    I cling to this headcannon because id otherwise seriously struggle with her many and varied appearances over the years.
    I'm not sure that IS headcanon. More than once we've seen Circe change her look on-panel. So, yeah, it does track that what we see is... how she wants people to see her.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I'm not sure that IS headcanon. More than once we've seen Circe change her look on-panel. So, yeah, it does track that what we see is... how she wants people to see her.

Both Phil Jimenez and James Tynion had Circe change her look mid-story with Jimenez having Circe changing looks several times within a short few pages.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

I was just thinking about the problematic nature of adapting Dr. Psycho faithfully to the big screen this weekend, and sad about the growing likelihood Dinklage will never play him too.

Interesting this is on our collective minds now, for whatever reason.

I like the look of the Harley Quinn Psycho but not the way they use his powers (telekinesis?).

There has been positive representations of 'little people' (not loving that expression), at least on TV. The late soap opera Another World had a prominent cast member named Wallingford who was treated as one of the gang and partook in many adventures, until the actor's sudden passing. And that was in the 80s.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 11-06-2023 at 09:05 AM.

If you took all of Wonder Woman's Rogues Gallery, and divided them up into 3 general categories:

1. Leaders

2. Followers

3. Loners

Who fits in best where?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    If you took all of Wonder Woman's Rogues Gallery, and divided them up into 3 general categories:

1. Leaders

2. Followers

3. Loners

Who fits in best where?
    Leaders:
    Circe, Ares, Veronica Cale, Queen Clea, Eviless

Followers:
    Giganta, Dr. Poison, Blue Snowman, Dr. Cyber (though classic Cyber was Leader-type), Zara, Hypnota, Angle Man, Duke of Deception

Loners:
    Cheetah (though I want her to be a Leader), Dr. Psycho, Silver Swan, Medusa

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Since Gunn claimed that all shows/movies in the DCU will be connected, I am PRAYING not only that this Circe is indeed our Circe, but that she is not turned into some goofy cannon fodder that is easily defeated by Creatures Commandos of all people.
    Think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive...

(but if they do to Circe what that stupid animated film with Catwoman did to Cheetah, my interest in the DCU is going to evaporate...)
    My guess is that she's going to make one or two appearances where she sassily dumps exposition and waves them off as a nuisance and that'll be it.

This is one of the leads on a very popular show voicing one of the biggest DC villains. If she were a major player in the story I suspect they would've already announced her casting. It only leaked was because someone on an Anya Chalotra fanpage saw it on her CV.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Damn, I definitely understand why Dr. Psycho is a classic WW villain that would be incredibly problematic to bring to live-action, especially since we have nothing even close to a balance in regard to representation of little people in mass media. However, watching the trailers to the upcoming Hunger Games prequel reminds me of how much I still wish for Peter Dinklage to play the psychic villain in a WW movie. It's never gonna happen, and I am at peace with that, but oh, boy...what a badass he would be in the role.
    I think the way around it would be to go less "gross, misogynistic creep" and more American Psycho. Make him charming, powerful, and magnetic on the surface but secretly an absolute monster. A complex, truly scary villain rather than a cartoon. Grant Morrison sort of went that way with him in Earth One but they also got rid of him being a little person so...

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    My guess is that she's going to make one or two appearances where she sassily dumps exposition and waves them off as a nuisance and that'll be it.

This is one of the leads on a very popular show voicing one of the biggest DC villains. If she were a major player in the story I suspect they would've already announced her casting. It only leaked was because someone on an Anya Chalotra fanpage saw it on her CV.
    I guess Yennefer and Circe aren't that different in some respects. Circe just has even less of a filter or conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Who fits in best where?
    1. Leaders
    Ares, Priscilla Rich Cheetah, Circe, Sebastian Ballesteros, White Magician, Vulture King, Queen Sharkeeta, Cylvia Cyber Doctor Cyber, Queen Clea, Eviless, Helen Alexandros Silver Swan, Queen Atomia, Minister Blizzard, Osira, Prime Planner.

2. Followers
    Angle Man, Blue Snowman, Both Doctor Poisons, Deborah Domaine Cheetah, the children of Ares, Adrianna Anderson Doctor Cyber, Giganta, Valerie Beaudry Silver Swan, Veronica Cale, Moot & Geoff, Blue Ice & Doctor Echo, Cateye, Human Fireworks, Mouseman.

3. Loners
    Barbara Minerva Cheetah, Doctor Psycho, Devastation, Image-Maker, Morgana, Inversion the Inside-Out man, Tezcatlipoca, Queen of Fables, Genocide, Liar Liar, Janus, Multiple Man, Baron Boar De Boar, Greg Trevor, Dark Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post

My idea is two-fold: 1: Circe isn't the "big bad" of the movie. 2: Circe is an obstacle they need to avoid in order to beat the real big bad. Thus to "win"... they need to run away from Circe.

It lets you put in Circe as an enemy, and make her look scary, without having the story revolve around beating her. In fact you can give the heroes a reason to GTFO ASAP, thus mandating that they don't even try to fight.
    I think the way around it would be to go less "gross, misogynistic creep" and more American Psycho. Make him charming, powerful, and magnetic on the surface but secretly an absolute monster. A complex, truly scary villain rather than a cartoon. Grant Morrison sort of went that way with him in Earth One but they also got rid of him being a little person so...
    Well, "mankind is the real monster" just lean on that. He's a monster not because of his appearance, but because of WHO he is.