Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

So... who here would demand that Damian have some non-American accent in live action, and who here is totally on board with an American accent?

Like... I can't picture Damian with anything but some tall-vowled, clipped-consonant accent that separates him from his father's family alongside his "English boarding school" vocabulary, and I've yet to like any of the cartoon versions that give him an American accent.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    So... who here would demand that Damian have some non-American accent in live action, and who here is totally on board with an American accent?

Like... I can't picture Damian with anything but some tall-vowled, clipped-consonant accent that separates him from his father's family alongside his "English boarding school" vocabulary, and I've yet to like any of the cartoon versions that give him an American accent.
    I wholeheartedly agree that Damian should sound like some Grammar school alumni. Speaks the Queen's English.

Very proper pronunciation, intonation and stress.

Fantastic Member

Entirely depends on his upbringing, the norm is that his accent wouldn't be Americanized (Though by an american accent is still varied but I wouldn't expect Damian to speak like a Californian or someone from the South), he'd honestly speak like a prep if I'm being honest with a vast array of vocabulary that isn't much used in a street basis norm. This is going by the League of Assassins upbringing, I'll assume that Damian knows how to speak & understand different languages fluently, albeit not knowing how to socialize with said knowledge.

Like imagine Damian speaking in a foreign language, but the way he speaks in said language is perceived entirely the same, a preppy brat kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckri View Post
    Entirely depends on his upbringing, the norm is that his accent wouldn't be Americanized (Though by an american accent is still varied but I wouldn't expect Damian to speak like a Californian or someone from the South), he'd honestly speak like a prep if I'm being honest with a vast array of vocabulary that isn't much used in a street basis norm. This is going by the League of Assassins upbringing, I'll assume that Damian knows how to speak & understand different languages fluently, albeit not knowing how to socialize with said knowledge.

Like imagine Damian speaking in a foreign language, but the way he speaks in said language is perceived entirely the same, a preppy brat kid.
    Damian wasn't taught by the LOA. Talia had experts from all over the world come teach him.

He had a very cosmopolitan upbringing and we saw he spent a good deal of time in Europe so I'd say he's able to socialize in many languages.

Since he studied the classics and the arts, I expect he was also taking elocution lessons. That would be required for the future Talia planned for him.

His dialogue in Morrison's Batman and Robin doesn't contain Americanized English or slang [that started creeping in later] He uses archaic words like harlot and vagabond.

His Vocabulary is more a British Fraser Crane than Bruce Wayne. Formal, mature and a bit prosey. More suited to middle aged man.

While I had no qualms with the animated Americanised Damian, I'd prefer that accent and clipped way of speaking to be maintained in live action.

Damian has a unique voice that's should be a tell that he's from a different environment not local to Gotham or his Father's world.
    Last edited by Fergus; 02-07-2023 at 11:37 AM.

Seems like Damian is still dating Flatline according to Lazarus Planet.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Also it seems like her story sets up something, involving her, Damian and Ra's.
    I remember PKJ mentioned that he's writing something about Al Ghouls, so maybe that's what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Also it seems like her story sets up something, involving her, Damian and Ra's.
    I remember PKJ mentioned that he's writing something about Al Ghouls, so maybe that's what he meant.
    Damian right now weighing his conflicted feelings

“Hmmm…my assassin girlfriend just resurrected my grandfather, so that’s a plus. Though he is evil so that’s a minus. Then again last I saw him is when he was killed trying to turn himself in for his crimes, so maybe it’s a plus? But it’s also still not Alfred so that’s about 5 minuses right there”
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    While I had no qualms with the animated Americanised Damian, I'd prefer that accent and clipped way of speaking to be maintained in live action.

Damian has a unique voice that's should be a tell that he's from a different environment not local to Gotham or his Father's world.
    I pretty much agree with this!

I kinda think American accent makes sense, because I can justify Talia ensuring her son has an accent closer to his father's. But mostly I want him to sound unique, using archaic words, very formal with maybe an occasional swear...definitely no slang unless he starts picking it up from other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfidiously View Post

I kinda think American accent makes sense, because I can justify Talia ensuring her son has an accent closer to his father's. But mostly I want him to sound unique, using archaic words, very formal with maybe an occasional swear...definitely no slang unless he starts picking it up from other characters.
    Upper class New England accent? Look at Charles Winchester from MASH for an example.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post

“Hmmm…my assassin girlfriend just resurrected my grandfather, so that’s a plus. Though he is evil so that’s a minus. Then again last I saw him is when he was killed trying to turn himself in for his crimes, so maybe it’s a plus? But it’s also still not Alfred so that’s about 5 minuses right there”
    Thats villain ras , not sure if hes real

I hope Flatline can meet Deadman soon

Quote Originally Posted by Perfidiously View Post

sorry I think you miss understood. I'm saying that I don't think Damian sounds anything like Bruce.

That makes no sense to me not with his upbringing and his education.

I think he sounds like a British Fraser Crane and I'd like that accent [ British ] and to be maintained.

His dialogue and vocabulary should line up with the way Morrison wrote him. No Americanised English.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post

Ra's is back. We saw that coming.

It's not Alfred, that's plus 50 points. Alfred was a Arse*^$e to Damian. A Lot.

Why do people pretend otherwise?

Looks like Taylor is planning on throwing Damian under the bus for Jon Kent.

He's revisiting the world on Injustice. Jon ends up in the Injustice universe during Injustice 2 and meets amongst others an evil Damian.

The thing is.........Damian wasn't evil in Injustice 2. He was very much a hero who cared about the normal folk. he saved everyone from Amazo.

He spent every night patrolling like he did when he was Robin. he even took Kara with him. Every night walking the streets fighting crime and protecting innocent civilians.

Not looking forward to this.

Astonishing Member

Taylor is the one, who actually made Injustice Damian a little bit less evil, than he was in the games, so, I think it's not going to be THAT bad.