Page 55 of 77 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    In it, yeah. And sure, so is Jon (whom looks exactly like his dad...). But, wow. Trinity is an unlikeable asshole, as an adult. Damian at least had an excuse when he was introduced, but this? I regret reading it already.
    King is clearly inspired by Damian's intro, making her divisive and make sure she makes a strong impression. Also having her feel different from her mother which is a positive.

She definitely left an impression. Can't say I dislike her. She's arrogant and isn't shy about telling everyone that she's better. I'll reserve judgement till I get to see if it's insecurity masked as over confidence/necessity of environment/lifestyle she was grew up in [as was the case with Damian] or something else.

Damian and Jon were okay but felt very similar to their dad's. The set ip was strange. Did they raise her? I don't quick get what this trio is supposed to be. They aren't a collective like other generations/teams.

More like 2 men and the mouthy disrespectful teen they are looking after for the holidays.

The Backlash finally got to Devin Grayson or DC.

She posted this updated version of that Pride is a celebration/protest? conversation on her twitter

Original

Updated

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

She posted this updated version of that Pride is a celebration/protest? conversation on her twitter

Original

Updated

That is...somehow worse?

Damian is still 100% in the right and aged up Jon is now even more wrong because he's trying to come across as an authority on a topic he very much knows nothing about. If he was a kid (which is still possible and it's arrogant to think it's not), his ignorance could not only be excused but be an actual plot point and a source of character development where he gets educated on his history and learns from his queer elders. Instead he just regurgitates corporate, neoliberal talking points which actually do more harm than good, especially coming from a character that is supposed to occupy a position of prominence and authority.

This does nothing to prove James Somerton wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    That is...somehow worse?

Damian is still 100% in the right and aged up Jon is now even more wrong because he's trying to come across as an authority on a topic he very much knows nothing about. If he was a kid (which is still possible and it's arrogant to think it's not), his ignorance could not only be excused but be an actual plot point and a source of character development where he gets educated on his history and learns from his queer elders. Instead he just regurgitates corporate, neoliberal talking points which actually do more harm than good, especially coming from a character that is supposed to occupy a position of prominence and authority.

This does nothing to prove James Somerton wrong.
    Indeed. Jon is very much the Cooperate Gay. He is the mouth piece for DC and current America liberalism which is pro status quo. I noticed that in his Pride story this year, GL Alan did a 180. Now advocating for the 'Fight Violence and Hate by showing our love' methodology against Hate groups attacking LGBT individual/communities. Very much a keep quiet and don't make waves. Be one of the good Gays mindset.

Once corporations got massively involved with Pride this was bound to happen. Hard to demand better treatment when your protest parade is sponsored by Big business.

I view this a teeny positive. small steps. They are trying to be better and I can't fault that.

By 2026 we might get a Pride Special that's not got any glaring problematic goofs.
    Last edited by dietrich; 06-21-2023 at 02:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

Original

Updated

Editors should have never let the original go to print, changing it in the New Edition is just messy.

Fantastic Member

The friendship btw Jon and Damian is iconic and I am a fan but I REALLY HOPE JW will build up Connor and Damian whom I could see becoming surrogate brothers, I would also like to see the return of Colin Wilkes. I'd also love to see flash backs to Damians training with lLady Shiva and what was Damian doing during some of Ra's far reaching plans, like when he used "the Wheel of plagues and the Tower of Babel.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    The friendship btw Jon and Damian is iconic and I am a fan but I REALLY HOPE JW will build up Connor and Damian whom I could see becoming surrogate brothers, I would also like to see the return of Colin Wilkes. I'd also love to see flash backs to Damians training with lLady Shiva and what was Damian doing during some of Ra's far reaching plans, like when he used "the Wheel of plagues and the Tower of Babel.
    I'd like to see the return of Colin. I liked their friendship. Colin was unique. not a Super or an Arrow or some other legacy. I liked that about him. A kid with unique powers and his story was compelling.

Connor and Damian have a lot in common. The foundation set up for them should lead to a long friendship. Connor came out to Damian. That's a bond that should endure but you know how DC writers are. I hope they continue their friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I'd like to see the return of Colin. I liked their friendship. Colin was unique. not a Super or an Arrow or some other legacy. I liked that about him. A kid with unique powers and his story was compelling.

Connor and Damian have a lot in common. The foundation set up for them should lead to a long friendship. Connor came out to Damian. That's a bond that should endure but you know how DC writers are. I hope they continue their friendship.
    Yeah, sadly outside of Jon (and that's mainly because he's Superman's son), Damian's friends have really gotten the shaft from most writers. I mean, the last time Maya was seen was in a Terrifics arc, of all things.

Astonishing Member

By the way, Williamson said, that he was going to use Maya in his Robin run, and it didn't happen. I hope he's going to use her in Batman and Robin at least, it would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    By the way, Williamson said, that he was going to use Maya in his Robin run, and it didn't happen. I hope he's going to use her in Batman and Robin at least, it would be nice.
    Ny worry is that since B&R isn't a solo series it won't be able to dedicate much space to Damian's social life.

Astonishing Member

So, the reason Damian didn't get his Knight Terrors tie-in is because he's one of the few people, who was able to stay awake and wasn't brought into that nightmare world Insomnia put everyone in.

I think it is more likely that Williamson will bring back his creations from tournament arc.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think it is more likely that Williamson will bring back his creations from tournament arc.
    I get wanting to promote ones creations but that should be balanced with past relationships and characters.
    Hopefully Williamson respects supporting cast created by other writers as well as his own. No reason why we can't have Flatline, maya and Colin.

So, the reason Damian didn't get his Knight Terrors tie-in is because he's one of the few people, who was able to stay awake and wasn't brought into that nightmare world Insomnia put everyone in.
    I personally don't care because I have zero interest in that event, so this works in my favor. I will get to save quite a lot of money in the upcoming months lmao.