Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    All the stuff said is why I find the webtoon is pretty shallow/bare minimum in representing his heritage. Yeah he's darker but he doesn't interact with his heritage/culture at all and probably never will because fanon doesn't and only cares about the 'easy' rep points.
    The Web series leans more towards fanon than canon. The target is those fans online who like the tumblr interpretation of the Batfam. They take a good deal of inspiration from batfam internet communities. Incorporating popular HC's into the series.

I disagree that fanon only cares about easy rtp point's and that fanon doesn't have Damian interact with his heritage.

Fanon often has Damian embracing his heritage. There's a lot of content out there that centred on Damian as Arabian to the extent that hot only does he converse in Arabic he even celebrates Ramadan. It seems to the internet Arabian must mean Muslim.

It's lost on these fans that by viewing Damian as and head cannoning him as just Arabian and come Bruce, they are displaying racist behaviour. Erasing the character's actual ethnicity. Like the Chinese and White parts of him aren't worth consideration.

I suppose reducing him to just one ethnic group they are simplifying him. Making him easier to stereotype him and slot him into a box.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I should admit that I always liked the idea that Damian looks pretty similar to Bruce. So, I'm not really a fan of Damian's appearance needing to represent all his etchnicities.

Anyway, what bothers/worries me the most about changing Damian's appearance is that certain fans would complaint about whitewashing if Damian is drawn "white-looking" again in the future.

For example: I remember people complaining that Damian was whitewashed in Harley Quinn show due to his skin color not being darker.
    He can still look like Bruce with a darker complexion

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I should admit that I always liked the idea that Damian looks pretty similar to Bruce. So, I'm not really a fan of Damian's appearance needing to represent all his etchnicities.

Anyway, what bothers/worries me the most about changing Damian's appearance is that certain fans would complaint about whitewashing if Damian is drawn "white-looking" again in the future.

For example: I remember people complaining that Damian was whitewashed in Harley Quinn show due to his skin color not being darker.
    That's sadly the reality of today's world. Outrage culture and going with the crowd. Along with repeating whatever is popular or makes you look good online.

Damian has always been white passing. He is supposed to be a mini carbon copy of Bruce. The darker portrayal came later.

The fans who complain likely don't read the comics or they don't actually care about accurate portrayals of the character.

They care about Damian reflecting their personal fanon pov of him not the canon version. It's self serving.
    I get it because I'm sort of in that camp myself. My desire to see a more ethnic Damian over a Bruce clone is motivated by personal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeca Armus View Post
    Sorry for ask, but is "food war" really a thing in USA? I hadn't a opinion about it, but this happens so much in movies, series, comics that I started to think more about it.
    I've seen people have food fights in American media so it does happen though it's not as prevalent as in Manga.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Rather than miscolouring him/grabbing the brown marker DC should put in effort and have him embrace some traditions from ethnic heritage. I can guarantee you Chinese and Middle Eastern fans would appreciate that a lot more than occasionally brown Damian.
    Not sure how much sense that really makes, based on continuity.

Ras and Thalia aren't culturally exactly a normal middle eastern (and I don't think he ever even met Thalia's mother). And it be kind of wired if he would start to embrace traditions that they clearly don't follow, especially since the only "tradition" Damain seems sofar to be interested in is the Batman legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not sure how much sense that really makes, based on continuity.

Ras and Thalia aren't culturally exactly a normal middle eastern (and I don't think he ever even met Thalia's mother). And it be kind of wired if he would start to embrace traditions that they clearly don't follow, especially since the only "tradition" Damain seems sofar to be interested in is the Batman legacy.
    You don't know what traditions Talia or Ra's follow. Just because you haven't seen them celebrate any traditions doesn't mean they don't.

Can you point me to the panel that states that Talia doesn't celebrate Chinese New Year or something else like that?

The fact that we know so little about their personal life, past and Talia/Damian growing up means that writers have so much room to retroactively filling in gaps as they see fit without contradicting canon.

Batman legacy isn't a tradition.

The few times we've seen Damian embrace or tradition we've seen Damian embrace are:

Choosing to attend his father's wedding in Middle Eastern traditional clothes- Prelude to the wedding

Eating blood soup - TT

Personally identified himself as a person from the Middle Eastern - Truth and Justice

And in one of his earliest appearances wearing a traditional Chinese embroidered shirt - The last Annual of Tim Robin series.
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-29-2023 at 04:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member

You don't know what traditions Talia or Ra's follow. Just because you haven't seen them celebrate any traditions doesn't mean they don't.
    Considering that Ras is iirc from some demon worshipping desert tribe that he him self had wipe from history, I'm pretty sure that what ever traditions he has are not really going to resemble anything modern middle eastern.

When it comes to Talia her mother seems not to have much of a presence in her life, but I had look up the specifics.

Considering that Ras is iirc from some demon worshipping desert tribe that he him self had wipe from history, I'm pretty sure that what ever traditions he has are not really going to resemble anything modern middle eastern.

When it comes to Talia her mother seems not to have much of a presence in her life, but I had look up the specifics.
    Aahz, I asked can you show me a panel where it says that the Al Ghul's or Damian doesn't celebrate any Chinese or Middle Eastern traditions?

Show me. If you can't then stop assuming.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Can you point me to the panel that states that Talia doesn't celebrate Chinese New Year or something else like that?

The fact that we know so little about their personal life, past and Talia/Damian growing up means that writers have so much room to retroactively filling in gaps as they see fit without contradicting canon.

Batman legacy isn't a tradition.

The few times we've seen Damian embrace or tradition we've seen Damian embrace are:

Choosing to attend his father's wedding in Middle Eastern traditional clothes- Prelude to the wedding

Eating blood soup - TT

Personally identified himself as a person from the Middle Eastern - Truth and Justice

And in one of his earliest appearances wearing a traditional Chinese embroidered shirt - The last Annual of Tim Robin series.
    was it the annual that's part of Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul?

Ra's grew up in a demon worshipping kingdom, but he razed it to the ground after they killed his first wife, and don't want to associate with it

He did however, continue to hang out with his uncle, who used their nomadic tribe language, based of ancient Chinese but different, to record their story, until Ra's found out about it and burned them as well. He still remembers the language though and taught it to Talia, who read the surviving record to Batman

It's true that Ra's doesn't want his past and identity to be known, so he kind of created his own Al Ghul culture, where his followers kind of worships him as The Demon's Head, so he dresses himself in a costume instead of following specific culture, with some exceptions. He seems to prefer Chinese style armor and middle eastern sword (not at the same time lol) and the dojo he trained Damian is styled after Tibet or China. In general though, he wants to remain unknown, but that's just Ra's

Talia's mother Melisande met Ra's at a concert in Woodstock, she was dressed like a casual american hippie, but later on, after she stays with him, she dresses middle eastern style

Talia's signature cut-off dresses are inspired by Qipao, and lately she's been wearing middle eastern inspired dresses as well

The League of Assassins members and followers dresses wherever they came from and practice the culture they came from. There's the Japanese ninjas, Tibetan/Buddhist monks, middle eastern guards and handmaidens, so the League environment is like a melting pot of different cultures and there doesn't seem to be any restriction about fashion and culture, just loyalty to The Demon. Don't cross Ra's or you get your body parts cut off, or blinded.

Damian would've picked up the Chinese and Arab fashion sense from his mother, and the middle eastern cuisine from his babysitters/handmaidens. His teachers are from all over the world and he studied, among others, history and art. So he can pick up anything from anyone.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-31-2023 at 07:40 AM.

Astonishing Member

https://twitter.com/Williamson_Josh/...16699396562945
    I have no idea if it actually means anything, but Williamson posted a GIF with Damian, so perhaps some news are coming.
    MegaCon is today, and Williamson will be there, so, who knows, perhaps there will be something.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 03-31-2023 at 09:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

https://twitter.com/Williamson_Josh/...20812817973251
    Williamson is writing Batman and Robin ongoing, starring Bruce and Damian, set to begin in September. Art and cover by Simone Di Meo.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Batman & Robin by Williamson and DeMio begins in September.

https://twitter.com/Williamson_Josh/...973251/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Batman & Robin by Williamson and DeMio begins in September.

https://twitter.com/Williamson_Josh/...973251/photo/1
    Personally, I would have preferred a Damian solo, but I will take it, even though it's ridiculous how long it took them to reunite Bruce and Damian. I just hope this means Damian can finally be allowed to show up in other books as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Personally, I would have preferred a Damian solo, but I will take it, even though it's ridiculous how long it took them to reunite Bruce and Damian. I just hope this means Damian can finally be allowed to show up in other books as well.
    All the above. His exclusion from nightwing has been distractingly obvious.

Can't wait for this title. Damian's finally back interacting peacefully with the bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I've seen people have food fights in American media so it does happen though it's not as prevalent as in Manga.
    Yeah, an episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comes to mind, as Food Fight was the title.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman