Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    yeah I think this was during Remender's run
    I think the severity of the abuse was from Remender, but I think it was first established Steve's dad was an alcoholic during Tony's Demon in a Bottle phase.

Did you feel that it was still the case in this first issue of JMS ?

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Can't remember the last time I loved a Captain America comic-book that much. It feels like a mix of Gruenwald and Spencer Cap, if that makes sense. I'm really glad to see we finally have a Steve Rogers that's lighthearted, fun and truly inspiring. Can't wait for #2.

I think it was a fine start, but I'm missing a main concept that engages me. Still, good writing, with a lovable protagonist, and cool art. I don't live in the US, but I thought it was weird that a Manhattan building was selling cheap. It doesn't correspond with what I have heard about the real estate business in Manhattan nor with the prices I saw there when I went in 2017. Maybe the daily alien invasion has kept the cost low in the Marvel Universe

Also, if I was an editor, I would forbid the caption "somewhere in South America" next to a cliche jungle. As someone from South America, I would really appreciate an specific place. You can use Google to see which countries have jungles as the ones that you need for your comicbook.

But I'm nitpicking. I liked the issue, but I'm expecting newer and more interesting concepts going forward
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I think it was a fine start, but I'm missing a main concept that engages me. Still, good writing, with a lovable protagonist, and cool art. I don't live in the US, but I thought it was weird that a Manhattan building was selling cheap. It doesn't correspond with what I have heard about the real estate business in Manhattan nor with the prices I saw there when I went in 2017. Maybe the daily alien invasion has kept the cost low in the Marvel Universe

Also, if I was an editor, I would forbid the caption "somewhere in South America" next to a cliche jungle. As someone from South America, I would really appreciate an specific place. You can use Google to see which countries have jungles as the ones that you need for your comicbook.

But I'm nitpicking. I liked the issue, but I'm expecting newer and more interesting concepts going forward
    Good point on South America and jungles being very overplayed. If we still have to deal with that, why not specifically name the Amazon Rainforest in Brazil? Or, maybe, ditch the jungle motif altogether and go for one of the major South American cities in one of the more major South American countries? Hell, if Spider-Man's going to be a player in the next issue or so, why not bring back Black Tarantula, who did hail from Argentina, and dust him off as a formidable opponent for Captain America, insofar as being a bigger, stronger, faster, and tougher Spider-Man (in terms of motif and abilities) less held back by morals?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

has the specific villain been revealed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Good point on South America and jungles being very overplayed. If we still have to deal with that, why not specifically name the Amazon Rainforest in Brazil? Or, maybe, ditch the jungle motif altogether and go for one of the major South American cities in one of the more major South American countries? Hell, if Spider-Man's going to be a player in the next issue or so, why not bring back Black Tarantula, who did hail from Argentina, and dust him off as a formidable opponent for Captain America, insofar as being a bigger, stronger, faster, and tougher Spider-Man (in terms of motif and abilities) less held back by morals?
    Now I dream of a Batroc-Black Tarantula team-up
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I don't think the building was selling cheap, it was bought for Steve via Tony Stark's money...he has plenty of..

Interesting point made earlier that Steve might have money from rights to Cap's name, but he called Tony asking for "an advance", for the building...
    Last edited by SplinteringHeart; 10-03-2023 at 07:40 AM.

The one thing that threw me off was JMS' voice for Tony.

"Steverino."

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    I don't think the building was selling cheap, it was bought for Steve via Tony Stark's money...he has plenty of..

Interesting point made earlier that Steve might have money from rights to Cap's name, but he called Tony asking for "an advance", for the building...
    Well, "cheap" is relative. Though the manager refers to the building as being cheap, it's true that Steve had to ask money from Tony. So maybe just cheap for being in Manhattan

Now I dream of a Batroc-Black Tarantula team-up
    That would be cool, yeah. And speaking of frequent alien incursions and attacks keeping property values in New York relatively low, wasn't that how Matt Murdock and Foggy Nelson got their practice started in the Netflix Daredevil series; prices on the building they were aiming for were lower than usual thanks to the Chitauri attack in the first Avengers movie thoroughly devastating parts of New York City?

does Steve still have the emergency energy shield? Any other basic gadgets due to Tony's largesse?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    does Steve still have the emergency energy shield? Any other basic gadgets due to Tony's largesse?
    It is probably sitting in his sock drawer in case he needs it.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    It is probably sitting in his sock drawer in case he needs it.
    Always be prepared!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Something I find sad.

During the Brubaker era Sharon was actually pregnant with Steve's son, but wound up suffering a miscarriage during her imprisonment by Skull.

Man that was fucking sad to read about.