Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I also liked the appearance of the Captain America of the Railways. Really great way to incorporate the United States of Captain America.
    That was pretty cool. Hoping to see more of the Captains Network and glad they haven't been completely forgotten.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Not surprisingly, her stance on letting someone like Emma enter her mind I thought was an entirely valid one and only endeared me to the character more.
    Marvel seems to be a little flippant with what they let telepaths get away with. How often has one or them wiped someone's mind...for the greater good.

I also liked the appearance of the Captain America of the Railways. Really great way to incorporate the United States of Captain America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That was pretty cool. Hoping to see more of the Captains Network and glad they haven't been completely forgotten.
    Well...I was wrong. Apparently some of them will be used beyond USoCA. Wasn't Jeremy Merrick shown earlier in the series?

I still say if most of them got into a real fight with some hard core villains they would be dead of maimed.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 01-09-2023 at 09:22 PM.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Marvel seems to be a little flippant with what they let telepaths get away with. How often has one or them wiped someone's mind...for the greater good.
    Didn't Maria Hill once wipe a bunch of supervillains minds to force them into a prison community and it was treated as a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Ha, yeah.

Yes. Yes, indeed. I think the writing team on this is going to be doing the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy series, too.
    It would be cool if Cap and the Guardians had a crossover. It made me wonder if Steve was a Flash Gordon fan.

The writers said they were going to incorporate the other Captain America's into the book although while I understood it in concept and liked some of their backups (even if I feel like they started really stretching it as the main story went along), I don't really care for seeing more of these characters. Although it looks like their role is going to be pretty marginal moving forward.
    I have affection for that iteration as well (as well as the one that appeared in that last fantastic mini from some months back), but I did like how there was a naysayer in that group and it was her.
    I haven't had a chance to check her mini out (and I didn't like the redesign of her suit) but I'm eager for a story where she's more than just "Captain America...but British."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Considering she's a spy with a lot of secrets to her chest, of course the most secretive character in the cast would prefer to keep the things she's hiding hidden

Everyone else is more honest and doesn't have much to hide
    Tbh, I thought it was more of a nod to her House of M counterpart being a bit of an anti-mutant bigot -- especially the "genetic supremacist" line. It was a bit much going out of the gate. I do agree it makes her stand out a bit more, but I think it's kinda funny that "asshole" is the personality trait they're leaning into. (Thinking also on her telling Bucky she never liked him.) That being said, it was interesting Fury and Sharon seemed pretty chill about it since they're also spies with knowledge of state secrets. Then again, I guess they might also believe there's little point since Krakoa has a ton of extremely strong telepaths who likely can find out things anyway, but that's ust a headcanon.

I am enjoying this run immensely. The writers clearly know their Cap history and have made numerous nods to past runs of the character. Once again, the art is absolutely gorgeous and the coloring just elevates it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It would be cool if Cap and the Guardians had a crossover. It made me wonder if Steve was a Flash Gordon fan.
    One of the funniest things Brubaker did was make Steve wish he was an astronaut from time-to-time, so it fits his characterization.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Didn't Maria Hill once wipe a bunch of supervillains minds to force them into a prison community and it was treated as a bad thing?
    Yeah...did no turn out well.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    One of the funniest things Brubaker did was make Steve wish he was an astronaut from time-to-time, so it fits his characterization.
    i gotta reread that run.

https://bigcomicpage.com/2014/01/20/...-for-dynamite/

this is what i hope his outfit for that teamup looks like.

Extraordinary Member

Well...I was wrong. Apparently some of them will be used beyond USoCA. Wasn't Jeremy Merrick shown earlier in the series?

I still say if most of them got into a real fight with some hard core villains they would be dead of maimed.
    I mean, I think this story clearly illustrates that fighting isn't a Captain America's only job. This is a network of Caps who can help him in any number of ways that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with fighting. I think Captain America's (any of them) main motivation should be to help/save people, not necessarily punch someone in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I haven't had a chance to check her mini out (and I didn't like the redesign of her suit) but I'm eager for a story where she's more than just "Captain America...but British."
    I loved the redesign, personally.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-10-2023 at 01:56 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I mean, I think this story clearly illustrates that fighting isn't a Captain America's only job. This is a network of Caps who can help him in any number of ways that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with fighting. I think Captain America's (any of them) main motivation should be to help/save people, not necessarily punch someone in the face.
    I don't think that needs them to be full Caps (where it seems like they mostly do get into some action) and they still got dragged into fighting a Big Bad, which I think is where the story started getting to go a bit too far with it.
    I loved the redesign, personally.
    Too tactical for me, doesn't look great without the full Union Jack.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think that needs them to be full Caps (where it seems like they mostly do get into some action) and they still got dragged into fighting a Big Bad, which I think is where the story started getting to go a bit too far with it.
    If they did a revamp of the Hotline and Stars and Stripes network for the social media age I think they could work by being integrated into that. Field observers mixed into the computer operator group running a multi platform phone and social media data collection operation.

But if they want to show them getting into serious fights...even just with normals...they need to put them through some serious training. Lke Marine Boot Camp followed by Army Ranger School with some serious hand to hand thrown in.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 01-10-2023 at 03:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member

To each their own. But I think if you take away the Captain America name you kind of negate the whole purpose of that story, in that you don't have to look like Steve Rogers (tall, blond, and blue eyed) to be a Captain America, a message I fully support.

Too tactical for me, doesn't look great without the full Union Jack.
    I love the tactical bit. Very modern.

If they did a revamp of the Hotline and Stars and Stripes network for the social media age I think they could work by being integrated into that. Field observers mixed into the computer operator group running a multi platform phone and social media data collection operation.
    Or maybe the Hotline and Stars and Stripes Network can be integrated into the United States of Captain America? Just a thought.

But if they want to show them getting into serious fights...even just with normals...they need to put them through some serious training. Lke Marine Boot Camp followed by Army Ranger School with some serious hand to hand thrown in.
    While I support the idea of them being trained (although they each seem to be getting by just fine on their own), I don't think their main purpose should necessarily to be to get into fistfights. I think one of the points of the United States of Captain America was to show you don't need a SSS or fight the Red Skull to be worthy of the name Captain America. There are fights at every level that need fighting, not just at the HYDRA level.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Or maybe the Hotline and Stars and Stripes Network can be integrated into the United States of Captain America? Just a thought.
    Po-TAY-to / Po-TAH-to...just integrate into a larger more capable network.

While I support the idea of them being trained (although they each seem to be getting by just fine on their own), I don't think their main purpose should necessarily to be to get into fistfights. I think one of the points of the United States of Captain America was to show you don't need a SSS or fight the Red Skull to be worthy of the name Captain America. There are fights at every level that need fighting, not just at the HYDRA level.
    That is my point as well...they should not. But they do need to be capable of defending. And they need to be able to operate in any environment. That is the kind of training I am talking about.

And not to beat a dead horse, but.....Steve has a history or specifically keeping untrained people out of the field.

I think a back up story where Steve has them brought somewhere and given some serious training that gets them not necessarily to Steve's, Bucky's or Sam's level but to maybe Kate Bishop's level.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 01-10-2023 at 03:55 PM.

To each their own. But I think if you take away the Captain America name you kind of negate the whole purpose of that story, in that you don't have to look like Steve Rogers (tall, blond, and blue eyed) to be a Captain America, a message I fully support.
    I get the message and the approach and I liked the Caps', I just don't need multiple people running around calling themselves Captain America. Although they'll probably appear far more infrequently moving forward.
    I love the tactical bit. Very modern.
    "Tactical" and "modern" are like my least favorite buzz words for Superhero costumes.

It just makes the chest area look incomplete incomplete.
    Granted you probably get more page space with actual fisticuffs...