Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I guess this is a bad time to be a Wolverine fan. No team book for him this year. I will just wait tilll X-Men 97 releases :|
    I might also read Hickman's Gods.
    Last edited by Vishop; 04-14-2023 at 01:29 PM.

I think he's getting Capullo on his solo, though. After the August 'Weapons of Vengeance' crossover. So that will sell huge numbers and be awesome.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

BANNED

Eh, not seeing it. I honestly don't care if it's only Percy who is pulling strings. I just hope they release a trailer for the video game, '97 or the film soon by this year

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

2024 is shaping up to be an awesome one for Logan between the Capullo project, his first solo videogame in an age and a co-starring role in Deadpool 3.

I really think the Capullo project is separate from the ongoing which will presumably continue to be written by Ben Percy, whereas all signs point to Donny Cates being the writer Capullo is working with. Hopefully we'll find something out soon!

Incredible Member

Just read Claremont's Wolverine V1 (first time) and something just "clicked".

Logan's mutant abilities are his (1) enhanced senses and (2) healing factor. **(Stand to be corrected of course)

Despite reading about the character for decades and being familiar with the whole Weapon X programme etc., I've always lumped his characteristics/abilities together as what makes him a mutant. Needless to say I found this not-so-new revelation rather interesting.

Re. Claremont's writing and a lot of older comics (e.g. Ostrander's Suicide Squad which I also recently read) - it seems there was less focus on "gimmicks" than just bare bones, solid writing. Not surprising given the times but through out the reading experience a thought kept reoccurring - "they hardly make 'em like they used to".

IIRC the claws were initially all Weapon X. The bone claws, coated with adamantium by Weapon X, are a later retcon

Interestingly enough, however, if you read the original Barry Windsor-Smith Weapon X series they all seem surprised to see so much adamantium going to his forearms and everyone is shocked as hell when he pops the claws. So why would they be surprised if they put them inside him as implants?

I’m not saying that that was intentionally laying the ground work for them being part of his anatomy/mutation. In fact, I think the plan was initially for Apocalypse to be behind the Weapon X program and the voice that Professor Thorton was talking to on the phone (they later retconned it to be the abysmal character, Romulus). So it’s highly likely that they were planning to reveal that Apocalypse is the one who had the blades/claws implanted secretly, and that’s why everyone was surprised. But it did fit with the bone claws retcon when I re-read Weapon X years later, after Wolverine #75 where the bone claws were first revealed.

So I found that interesting.

Incredible Member

True @ bone claws etcetera.

TBH there are a number of things that I flat out ignore and aren't part of my personal canon of characters. Case in point, bone claws and the whole Wolverine Origin's series things.

Some others - (1) Tony Stark being adopted by Howard and Maria (and having a brother); (2) Frank Castle being destined to be The Punisher, (3)nThor and Phoenix "mother-son" relationship; (4) Wanda & Pietro not being mutants nor Magneto's kids etc.

**Not actually sure what the current position on that last one is but for me they are and always will be both.

BANNED

Claramont is working on some secret project it's seems(X-Treme X-Men). Any chance of him doing it with Capullo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    True @ bone claws etcetera.

TBH there are a number of things that I flat out ignore and aren't part of my personal canon of characters. Case in point, bone claws and the whole Wolverine Origin's series things.

Some others - (1) Tony Stark being adopted by Howard and Maria (and having a brother); (2) Frank Castle being destined to be The Punisher, (3)nThor and Phoenix "mother-son" relationship; (4) Wanda & Pietro not being mutants nor Magneto's kids etc.

**Not actually sure what the current position on that last one is but for me they are and always will be both.
    Yeah. They’ve layered a lot of unnecessary crap onto many of these characters over the years. For the record, I preferred Logan’s claws to be implants as well. But the bone claws era was some great character work, and they do look kind of cool honestly.

I think in the Ultimate Universe his claws were still implants. Could be wrong about that, but I believe that was the case and it was referenced that Weapon X put them inside of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Interestingly enough, however, if you read the original Barry Windsor-Smith Weapon X series they all seem surprised to see so much adamantium going to his forearms and everyone is shocked as hell when he pops the claws. So why would they be surprised if they put them inside him as implants?

I’m not saying that that was intentionally laying the ground work for them being part of his anatomy/mutation. In fact, I think the plan was initially for Apocalypse to be behind the Weapon X program and the voice that Professor Thorton was talking to on the phone (they later retconned it to be the abysmal character, Romulus). So it’s highly likely that they were planning to reveal that Apocalypse is the one who had the blades/claws implanted secretly, and that’s why everyone was surprised. But it did fit with the bone claws retcon when I re-read Weapon X years later, after Wolverine #75 where the bone claws were first revealed.

So I found that interesting.
    I know, right?! Quite a few folks weren't prepared to expect the unexpected, it seems...
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-20-2023 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    IIRC the claws were initially all Weapon X. The bone claws, coated with adamantium by Weapon X, are a later retcon
    Actually, it's not a retcon unless said reveal directly contradicts previous on-panel evidence that states otherwise. AFAIK there is no story that definitely states and or depicts Logan's claws (or Laura's for that matter) as being Adamantium implants.
    Last edited by Micabe; 04-20-2023 at 10:13 PM.

True. Though there are images that make it appear that way in Logan’s case. Such as the iconic X-men #5 cover of him fighting Omega Red, where his flesh is torn away on his right forearm and you can see what look like mechanical housings for his claws inside.

EDIT — Actually, come to think of it, there is an early issue of Uncanny X-men by Claremont and Cockrum where the X-men’s powers are neutralized and Logan says something about his claws not being part of his mutation. I believe it’s when they’re fighting Stephen Lang on a space station. Will have to research this more, but I think I’m correct here.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 04-20-2023 at 09:56 PM.

BANNED

True. Though there are images that make it appear that way in Logan’s case. Such as the iconic X-men #5 cover of him fighting Omega Red, where his flesh is torn away on his right forearm and you can see what look like mechanical housings for his claws inside.

EDIT — Actually, come to think of it, there is an early issue of Uncanny X-men by Claremont and Cockrum where the X-men’s powers are neutralized and Logan says something about his claws not being part of his mutation. I believe it’s when they’re fighting Stephen Lang on a space station. Will have to research this more, but I think I’m correct here.
    I'm intrigued... I'd search myself but I just recently picked up my reading room and put all of my books back in their sleeves and boxes so I'll just await your return and research results

Indeed. Here's proof...