Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Chapter 10 of my Magik/Sailor Moon crossover is up. It's approaching the end now.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1412473...-Moon-Princess
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/41...ters/117965083

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Actually what you're saying makes absolutely no sense under any sort of rules of Magic. A Soulsword is a Concept,not a Thing. It can be a focus of one's magical abilites as Illyana's was according Magik Limited Series, but being the only such thing in existance? Hardly. Nowhere was it stated in the Limited Series that Illyana's soulsword was the only one in existance. In fact pretty much the only reason the spell took the form of a sword for her was because Illyana visualized it as such-just as Ororo saw her spell in the form of a tree.
    That was exactly my point LOL

While a sword is a pretty common weapon, you would expect other people to use their magic to visualize something different, just like a tree didn't work for Illyana because it was uniquely Ororo's.

Mighty Member

I also don' mind the soul scythe as it is a direct result of a contractual agreement between Illyana and Maddie. I would have preferred more time in getting to actually see Maddie reach the point of actualizing the deal, but the framework of it doesn't offend me.

Extraordinary Member

Illyana gets something to do in the last story DLC for the Midnight Suns game which will add Storm to the roster. On a sadder note, the Switch version has been canceled, and the PS4 and XB1 versions will be digital-only.

Extraordinary Member

And here is the second-to-last chapter of my Magik/Sailor Moon crossover, with the final battle. All that's left now is the wrap-up.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/41...ters/118155607

Extraordinary Member

The final chapter of my Magik/Sailor Moon crossover is up. The story is now complete.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/41...ters/118522711

Extraordinary Member

My primary motivation for this story was to have Illyana confront the trauma which was the death of the X-Men in Limbo when they tried to rescue her and show her growth by giving her a chance at redemption for her role in their deaths. That's why the idea of a Sailor Moon crossover worked better than say a Harry Potter crossover. The idea of a group of guardians whose primary mission is to protect their princess fits into Illyana's story much better than most other crossovers. In the original manga, Sailor Venus is the one who kills Queen Beryl, only for her to be quickly kidnapped by a possessed Tuxedo Mask. Keeping that part of the story intact fixes a problem with the anime adaptations where Venus' role as the most experienced and leader of the senshi is abandoned in favor of having Sailor Moon do pretty much everything, and provides the perfect setup for Illyana to save a protector the way she couldn't save the X-Men. Illyana's real victory is in being able to rescue Mina by embracing her full power despite how much it hurts to turn into the Darkchild, and in exercising enough control over her mutant power to get everyone away from Belasco. This is what redeems her for the X-Men's deaths. Because she ensured the safety of everyone else, they were around to lend her their power to win the fight.

In terms of the overall plot progression, this is my most planned-out story yet, with the major character beats for Illyana and Mina set in stone years before I finally started to write it. The final battle was also changed very little since I first thought it up. It was always going to have Belasco begin to regain the upper hand midway through the fight once he started to adapt to the strength she got from the senshi, Illyana ultimately winning that round by using her mutant power to create a cage of stepping disks, and then Belasco merging with Metaria the way Beryl did in the 90s anime for a final beam struggle. The only real changes from the original idea were that I decided to have Illyana have more doubts about killing Belasco and that she'd get beat up more for dramatic effect. I wrote that climatic action scene to be paced to this cover of the 'ultimate battle' song from Dragon Ball Super.

One thing I was always set on was that she wouldn't have a magical girl transformation or become this universe's Sailor Moon in this story. At the end, she would not be able to suddenly transform into a sailor uniform to fight evil or into a royal gown using the Silver Crystal the way Usagi does in Sailor Moon. Such transformations would require further character growth to be earned.

Extraordinary Member

Cover for Ultimate Invasion 3.

Will this be the first Ultimate version of Illyana?

Mighty Member

pretty sure it is, yeah. Ultimate Universe came into prominence while Illyana was long dead and petered out before her comeback really pushed her to the forefront

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    pretty sure it is, yeah. Ultimate Universe came into prominence while Illyana was long dead and petered out before her comeback really pushed her to the forefront
    One could imagine the writers at the time felt she was seemingly so insignificant that they could just leave her out of Ultimate Collosus backstory.

In general they played rather fast and loose with any character who wasn't part of the "core X-men" team in the 616 universe, placing characters all over the place with little rhyme or reason and ignoring the idea of re-establishing proper counterparts to 616 universe satlite teams like New X-men, Generation X, X-force, X-factor, etc.

Hence oddities like Jubilee being introduced as in name only version as part of Alpha Flight, as if someone had gone over a list of names going "oh we haven't killed those off yet?"

Though on the flipside this also meant that some characters actualy managed to slip through the cracks and not fall victim to the "1. Hello character X. 2. Goodbye character X. 3. Character X gets messily killed." syndrome of the Ultimate Universe.

If i remember correctly other prominent pre-2000 X-men characters who never appeared were Thunderbird, Banshee (the actual character), Siryn, Rictor, Pete Wistom, Mimic and most of Generation X.

Extraordinary Member

Trailer for Ultimate Invasion.
    https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/16...ion-trailer%2F

According to Screenrant: "These returning heroes are not the only confirmed Ultimate characters revealed: an Asgardian scene in which Thor is shown bowing to his evil brother Loki is also depicted, alongside a set of what appear to be a set of three national delegations, one of Hulk-like beings, another trio from Japan (being Ultimate Viper, Silver Samurai and Sunfire), and a third from Russia with the Rasputin siblings Colossus and Magik representing the polity alongside Omega Red."

If the image in any indication, Ultimate Illyana is leading the Russian delegation.

Astonishing Member

Illyana existed in one issue of Ultimate X-Men. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Illya...a_(Earth-1610)

Anyway it's a New Ultimate Universe. So things and people can be diffrent.

Viper was white in the previous Ultimate Universe, in the image above and other Ultimate Invasion art, she is Japanese?

Extraordinary Member

Duggan had a much better handle on Illyana's character in today's issue than he has had for the last 6 months. None of that strange refusal to take major threats seriously or constant jobbing just to make Jean look good that's become the norm this year.

Extraordinary Member
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 06-07-2023 at 09:16 PM.