Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Didn't read that issue. Thanks for the informations.

One way or another, sounds like that primarily serves to limit their movement ability in the Nine Realms.

Hopefully they won't go back to that weird idea from the end of Rosenberg's run that her mutant powers keep her demonic side in check. Come to think of it, did they ever mention how that was resolved between the end of that run and the HOX/POX retcon fest?

It wouldn't matter much if the Juggernaut series had not ackowledged those bits as having actualy occured.
    Never been revisited, to the best of my recollection.

Extraordinary Member

The nanites messing up Illyana's powers would be a repeat of Bendis' run where her powers as well as those of Cyclops, Emma, and Magneto were messed up by Dark Beast's nano-machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Better late than never - both on my noticing this variant and a group image of the NEW MUTANTS where Illyana looks like a member of the team, thanks to her new costume...that ironically coincided with her departure from the NM title...

Very cool! For a second there I thought there was a New Mutants issue I missed.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Better late than never - both on my noticing this variant and a group image of the NEW MUTANTS where Illyana looks like a member of the team, thanks to her new costume...that ironically coincided with her departure from the NM title...

I wondered what the chinks in the sword came from as well.
    An artist who thought they were doing a blonde Red Sonja

Extraordinary Member

Illyana sporting a never-before-seen 'X' necklace in the latest preview. Could be from X-Men 24 in 2 weeks or from Realm of X. As far as I can tell the X-Men Monday preview images are usually for issues that are very close to release, so it's probably the former.

Merchandise THIS Marvel… perhaps a Krakoan Rosary? Where’s Father Kurt???
    (Also…bangs not blunt enough…)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Illyana sporting a never-before-seen 'X' necklace in the latest preview. Could be from X-Men 24 in 2 weeks or from Realm of X. As far as I can tell the X-Men Monday preview images are usually for issues that are very close to release, so it's probably the former.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel Names the 1 Mutant Who Can Beat Iron Man

Modeling their new Sentinels on Iron Man’s look also had the effect of equating Orchis’ anti-mutant propaganda with Tony Stark and the Avengers–seemingly giving their crusade of hate an air of legitimacy. These new Sentinels pervert Iron Man’s technology, using it to create counters for practically any attack–even able to take out powerful mutants such as Synch.

However, there is one thing that Iron Man cannot account for: sorcery, and Magik is one of the most powerful magic users in the Marvel Universe. Her attack on the Stark Sentinel actually made use of her mutant gift, the ability to open portals through space (and sometimes time too), but these portals are linked to Limbo, a dimension ripe with magic. Illyana once ruled Limbo (before leaving that duty to Madelyne Pryor) and its powerful mystical energies, which are a great counter to Tony Stark's scientific genius.

The Stark Sentinel was able to counter classic mutant attacks and powers, but it was not designed to handle magic. This makes sense as Iron Man is a scientist with a rational worldview and, just like Reed Richards, tries to stay away from magic a force that he will never fully understand. Magic upends Tony's sense of order and forces him to think about things far beyond his scope and understanding, explaining why Magik is the only X-Men who was able to defeat Iron Man's technology.

Really? I can name at least a dozen more

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Really? I can name at least a dozen more
    Following dozen mutants can beat Ironman.
    Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, Psylocke, Cable, Magneto, Gambit, Rogue, Sunfire, Surge.

Following dozen mutants can be beaten by Ironman.
    Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Storm, Icemen, Psylocke, Cable, Magneto, Gambit, Rogue, Sunfire, Surge.

Everyone can beat everyone as long as the writer can sell it and the popularity of the characters make it possible that readers will forgive inconsistencies.

Extraordinary Member

In another thread about how to fix the problems with the X-Men line I laid out my current thoughts on how Illyana was mishandled between when Claremont left New Mutants and her return in 2007, in particular how Inferno was a horrible finale for her that left her story unfinished.

While Inferno was a bad story as the last Magik story, in the long run that may have actually been a good thing, because no matter what, Marvel was going to bring her back at some point. Death was already a joke in comics by 2007, and if not then, it would have definitely happened by the time Krakoa started in 2019. Whether it was a good idea or not, whether there was any story left for her or not, it was going to happen.

With that in mind, as horrible as it was that Inferno was the last Magik story for nearly 20 years, it meant that when they did bring her back, there was story to be told with her. Quest for Magik and Rise/Fall of the New Mutants worked so well because that was the story Inferno should have been in the first place. An incomplete story was completed and could that be used as a springboard for future growth. But if everything had been wrapped up in 1989 the way Claremont had set her story's conclusion up before he left New Mutants, if she had sacrificed herself to stop Belasco without becoming him one last as she was meant to, there would have been no point to bringing her back, and they'd have done it anyways because that's just what they do. Her resurrection and subsequent appearances would not have been anywhere near as good, and only served to undermine her sacrifice. She'd likely be in much the same state Colossus has been in since his terrible resurrection, a character adrift with no real direction or purpose.

So while in a perfect world she'd have had one of the great deaths in all of fiction in a better version of Inferno and then stayed dead forever, given the fact that Marvel wouldn't let her stay dead forever it was a good thing in the long run that her original death was bungled and left more story to be told with her, even with the 2 decade wait and the horrible stories in between like Truth or Death and every story in which Amanda Sefton has the soul sword or calls herself Magik.

Astonishing Member

Earth 6160 from Ultimate Invasion 2
    Ultimate-Invasion-2-Avengers-Attack-Latveria.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Illyana gets 1 cool moment in today's Magneto issue.

Extraordinary Member

Realm of X #1 exclusive retailer variant by Tiago da Silva.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

Realm of X #1 exclusive retailer variant by Tiago da Silva.
    Perfectly beautiful Illyana (and Lockheed too!).
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!