Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

CBR puts the Magik miniseries in its list of 10 minis that were way too short.

I could see the benefit of having more panel time so that her time with Ororo can take place in a year instead of just aging her up a year in an afternoon, showing more of her struggles to adapt to Cat's training as she grows into an accomplished swordswoman, maybe through a montage instead of just cutting to their final sparring match, and of course more of her time as Belasco's apprentice, showing both more of the spells she learned and the torments she endured at the hands of Belasco, S'ym and other demons. I don't think any of these are strictly necessary, especially in the story itself. But I do think there is a lot of room to expand on them in flashbacks like Vita Ayala did.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

I could see the benefit of having more panel time so that her time with Ororo can take place in a year instead of just aging her up a year in an afternoon, showing more of her struggles to adapt to Cat's training as she grows into an accomplished swordswoman, maybe through a montage instead of just cutting to their final sparring match, and of course more of her time as Belasco's apprentice, showing both more of the spells she learned and the torments she endured at the hands of Belasco, S'ym and other demons. I don't think any of these are strictly necessary, especially in the story itself. But I do think there is a lot of room to expand on them in flashbacks like Vita Ayala did.
    When the mini series was written, reading the story was just as important as looking at the pictures. Something that has gotten lost over the years.

Extraordinary Member

Nice to see Illyana abandoning the demon theme in this year's gala outfit.

magik hellfire gala 2.jpg

magik hellfire gala.jpg

Her outfit looks boring

Extraordinary Member

It is plain, but 3 straight years of black demon outfits would have been too much, and there wasn't anywhere else to go after last year's outfit went too extreme.

Incredible Member

magik hellfire gala.jpg
    This should've been the design from the beginning. The demon theme was quite frankly stupid,tired and worn out.

Mighty Member

That design exists I suppose.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, it's true Illyana spent years under Belasco and we've only seen fragments of it, with the original Magik miniseries doing a big fast-forward. However that mini really works as it is, I don't really feel like I've been robbed of any stories and I'm happy to just get back to those years if need be just via the occasional flashback.

The only context where I could support some more fleshing out would be a television adaptation of the Magik mini. I think the material is ripe for that kind of adaptation in a limited series format across say 8 episodes - it would be truly glorious and hope one day to see it.

Mighty Member

magik hellfire gala.jpg
    I like it. It looks like she ported over to the Fashion Shoppes of Themyscira.

Extraordinary Member

I've said before that I want to see an animated adaptation of the Magik miniseries, and with the 2 Mile Morales Spiderverse movies the technology and technique are there to do it right and make it great. Great things can be done with Limbo, its demons and the Darkchild with a comicbook style. Maybe the characters could be based on Sienkiewicz's designs while the environments can do truly amazing things.

Better late than never - both on my noticing this variant and a group image of the NEW MUTANTS where Illyana looks like a member of the team, thanks to her new costume...that ironically coincided with her departure from the NM title...

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I know it's a magic weapon made of a soul, so it doesn't matter much for it's quality in combat, but something about those crude notches in Magik's sword don't feel right. At least in relation to who wields it.

Because the notable damage or lack of maintance would thematicaly fit more to a fallen hero or wandering swordsman, who no longer care or are able to maintain their weapon, than a young female super hero clad in partial shining golden armor.

Especially since no previous version of her soul sword i recall looked so... unkept.
    I wondered what the chinks in the sword came from as well.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

REALM OF X #2 (OF 4)
    Written by TORUNN GRŘNBEKK
    Art by DIÓGENES NEVES
    Cover by STEPHANIE HANS
    On Sale 9/27

Prophecy, peril, and powerlessness! With her powers still on the fritz, Magik makes a desperate move to try and recover the missing Curse—but is she playing right into someone else's nefarious plans? Plus, tempers are ready to erupt as this powder keg of a team struggles to protect their fellow mutants from the growing conflict in Vanaheim. The date of the prophecy looms ever closer—but at this rate, will the team even make it to then or will they implode before they even get a chance to prove themselves?!

Astonishing Member

I assume that's Typhoid Mary on the cover?

Others have pointed out that "their fellow mutants" sounds like there are more mutants in the Nine Realms than them, which together with Magik's teleportation power being seeming damaged, might suggest that she had overtaxed her powers doing an emergency teleportation of far too many people at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I assume that's Typhoid Mary on the cover?

Others have pointed out that "their fellow mutants" sounds like there are more mutants in the Nine Realms than them, which together with Magik's teleportation power being seeming damaged, might suggest that she had overtaxed her powers doing an emergency teleportation of far too many people at once.
    I assumed it was the nanites in her body, from the cut she received in the last issue of X-MEN, disrupting her x-gene and thereby disrupting her teleportation

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I assumed it was the nanites in her body, from the cut she received in the last issue of X-MEN, disrupting her x-gene and thereby disrupting her teleportation
    Didn't read that issue. Thanks for the informations.

One way or another, sounds like that primarily serves to limit their movement ability in the Nine Realms.

Hopefully they won't go back to that weird idea from the end of Rosenberg's run that her mutant powers keep her demonic side in check. Come to think of it, did they ever mention how that was resolved between the end of that run and the HOX/POX retcon fest?

It wouldn't matter much if the Juggernaut series had not ackowledged those bits as having actualy occured.