Page 10 of 66 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Superman and Wonder Woman

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I've been thinking about New52. I know across the board, it's considered a monumental mismanaged line of continuity. But, they really messed up with Superman and Wonder Woman. I just keep thinking, what if the book had came out in 2011? How many hate-readers would've bought it? Would it had lasted all of New52? It's just a bunch of what ifs.

“As fast as Diana Prince and Clark Kent become Wonder Woman and Superman, Kylie Turley became Kylie VAN DYKE when she married Nathan Van Dyke yesterday. Congratulations!!!!”

Last edited by LoveStar; 03-01-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Last edited by LoveStar; 03-01-2023 at 10:50 AM.

Last edited by LoveStar; 03-01-2023 at 10:49 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I've been thinking about New52. I know across the board, it's considered a monumental mismanaged line of continuity. But, they really messed up with Superman and Wonder Woman. I just keep thinking, what if the book had came out in 2011? How many hate-readers would've bought it? Would it had lasted all of New52? It's just a bunch of what ifs.
    If the SM/WW book had come out in 2011, it would've sold twice the copies because the boost the reboot/line wide relaunch provided across the board in the first 2 years of the New52. Starting with 200k copies and declining over time in the 30k range, I guess.

Hate readers usually don't buy books, they "borrow" them from a "friend." And by "friend" I mean torrent sites, and by "borrow" I mean pirate.

Would it had lasted all of New 52? No. At the very least, there needs to be buy-in from all of the creators working on the books, but that largely wasn't the case from the big names who were working on Super titles (Morrison, Snyder, Johns... ironically...), and Azzarello was operating in isolation on the WW book.

This kind of goes back to mismanaged continuity issues, though honestly I think even if editorial was better about enforcing new status quos the end result would've been about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    If the SM/WW book had come out in 2011, it would've sold twice the copies because the boost the reboot/line wide relaunch provided across the board in the first 2 years of the New52. Starting with 200k copies and declining over time in the 30k range, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Hate readers usually don't buy books, they "borrow" them from a "friend." And by "friend" I mean torrent sites, and by "borrow" I mean pirate.

Would it had lasted all of New 52? No. At the very least, there needs to be buy-in from all of the creators working on the books, but that largely wasn't the case from the big names who were working on Super titles (Morrison, Snyder, Johns... ironically...), and Azzarello was operating in isolation on the WW book.

This kind of goes back to mismanaged continuity issues, though honestly I think even if editorial was better about enforcing new status quos the end result would've been about the same.
    The book still sold well over 100k according to Daniel even without the benefits which is an accomplishment. Sure continuity was a clusterfuck (and still is) but the book just couldÂ’ve been itÂ’s own thing without needlessly being dragged into crossovers. Soule also said the decision to change direction which ultimately ended the book, was not because of sales. The pair sales outside of comics with branded merch and other advertising anyway.

As far as hate-reading, well folks were obviously buying regardless. The book sold and maintained better than half the books DC have now and even the Rebirth: Trinity book. Also now a days, with DC current readership, not only are there hate readers but fans who claim to love the books have no problem at all blasting that they pirate the books.