Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

In X-man Annual 1 (1996) Nate goes into the AoA past and is revealed he was there once before even earlier. Was this ever followed up on, and if so, where?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Oh I never knew that, I was big into X-Men Legends 2 but only ever played the PC version. How was Nate on PSP?
    I haven't actually played it on PSP either, but this is a video of his moveset.
    https://youtu.be/VGWtXeRxXHA

Incredible Member

I do think that one way Nate could come back is as the lead of a reboot of the Exiles series. We know that reality jumping is easy for Nate since that was the focus of the last arc of his own series. It could also let us see more about his and Dani's relationship given that they meant a whole lot to each other even though it all happened off screen.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
    Loving it... Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    In X-man Annual 1 (1996) Nate goes into the AoA past and is revealed he was there once before even earlier. Was this ever followed up on, and if so, where?
    I think that was another abandoned plotline.

Looks cool, but did everyone on the game look so old?

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    I do think that one way Nate could come back is as the lead of a reboot of the Exiles series. We know that reality jumping is easy for Nate since that was the focus of the last arc of his own series. It could also let us see more about his and Dani's relationship given that they meant a whole lot to each other even though it all happened off screen.
    I'd be up for that. Especially if Dani was in the book, too. (I'm for anything that would get her off New Mutants.)

I think that was another abandoned plotline.
    Figures. Marvel Unlimited only has part of the X-man series, so I couldn't be sure.

Figures. Marvel Unlimited only has part of the X-man series, so I couldn't be sure.
    I'm currently rereading everything Nate has been in for the rogues gallery rating, so I'll keep an eye out for any more time traveling.
    Last edited by The Myth; 01-09-2023 at 11:27 PM.

Last edited by juan678; 01-10-2023 at 06:58 AM.

Nice pics! You might want to post them on the Obscure Mutant Appreciation thread, too, since she been discussed on there already.

I read the first Counter X: X-man storyline last night. Can't say I'm too impressed. It's like Ellis just stripped all of Nate's personality away. Admittedly, I've never been fond of Ellis's writing.

Nice pics! You might want to post them on the Obscure Mutant Appreciation thread, too, since she been discussed on there already.

I read the first Counter X: X-man storyline last night. Can't say I'm too impressed. It's like Ellis just stripped all of Nate's personality away. Admittedly, I've never been fond of Ellis's writing.
    Yeah, Ther Counter X era is hit-or-miss for a lot of people. There's a reason X-Man, X-Force and Generation X all got cancelled shortly after Counter X reworked the titles, (technically X-Force continued, but it was changed into X-Statics). There are a few good things in Nate's Shaman period, but over all it's not my favorite interpretation of Nate.

Yeah, I hated the Counter X X-Force, too. I followed those characters from the end of Claremont's New Mutants to the end of JF Moore's run, all through the Simonson, Liefeld, and Loeb runs, but I dropped it two or three issues into Counter X. Never even tried that era's Gen X.

Ellis, and his hand picked writers, were just to gritty-for-no-good-reason for my taste.

Rating Nate's Rogues Gallery #3.

Mister Sinister (A.o.A).
    20230109_163920.jpg
    First conflict: X-Man vol 1 #4.

The evil geneticist responsible for secretly creating Nate Grey from the stolen DNA of Jean Grey and Scott Summers.

Sinister genetically engineered Nate to be the ultimate telepathic and telekinetic weapon. A weapon Sinister intended to use to eliminate his overlord, Apocalypse. While checking on Nate's progress Sinister deemed it necessary to include a 'failsafe' within his creation, just in case. The failsafe would see Nate destroyed once he hit maturity.

During Nate's development Sinister kept him restricted to the laboratory, in order to monitor his progress. Once Nate had reached his mid-teens Sinister hid him away in the slave pens. This would however prove detrimental to Sinister's plans, as Nate would escape from the pens with the aid of Scott Summers.

Disguising himself as 'Essex' Sinister tracked Nate down, finding he had joined a group of rebels lead by Forge called the Outcasts. While with the group Sinister would manipulate Nate, testing his powers and making suggestions that would put him in dangerous situations.

It was by Sinister's suggestion that the Outcasts would investigate one of Apocalypse's Factories. A mission that would result in the deaths of many of Nate's friends.

Forge confronted Essex about his actions. Sinister drops his disguise and murderes Forge. Witnessing the death of his father-figure Nate unleashes several blasts at Sinister, who is initially unfazed due to his cellular Endopathy.
    Amidst the fighting Sinister tells Nate the truth of his creation and how it's his destiny to destroy Apocalypse.
    Nate is briefly aided by Soaron and Sonique, who blast Sinister with a plasma cannon.

Nate exclaims he will never be Sinister's puppet, and engages in a TK enhanced melee. Mortally wounding Sinister, Nate leaves him for dead.

Summary:
    A true Victor Frankenstein figure. Sinister is a real evil piece of work. He created Nate as a weapon, manipulating him and augustrating the death of his friends. He also caused Nate an 'Uncle Ben' moment with the death of Forge.
    Sinister is a fantastic big bad for Nate's origin story.

Rating: 9/10.

It would make thematic sense for Nate to come back during Sins of Sinister given their relationship. It's not going to happen, unless it's 1000 years in the future and he somehow resets time without actually rejoining the 616, but it would make sense.

I finished reading the Shockwave (Mad Queen Jean) storyline. The last one on MU. It was better than the previous issues, but it had some annoying points. All the beings in the perfect world were male. Seriously? It wasn't written in the 1950's. And of course, for the second storyline in a row, the villain is a power hungry woman. I almost want to read more of Ellis's work to see if it's a pattern. At least Nate had a recognizable personality here, but it just shows that striping him of that personality was a deliberate choice. I'm really unimpressed.

One thing that surprised me, and I know it's mainly the red headband, is how much the "Asian spy" that the queen used Nate to kill looked like Moonstar.

One thing that surprised me, and I know it's mainly the red headband, is how much the "Asian spy" that the queen used Nate to kill looked like Moonstar.
    20230113_122038.jpg
    I definitely see the resemblance to Dani, but like you said it's mostly the headband. Take that away and she'd just be a generic dark haired woman.

Reading that page again, she's got the attitude, too. I'm sure that wasn't the creators' intent, but it's a little disconcerting in retrospect.