Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I really liked Abnett and Lanning's run on New Mutants, but there is one thing that really bothered me.
    20230113_192032.jpg
    This was the first and thus far has been the only time Nate and Rachel have ever been in the same place at the same time. They are meant to be brother and sister, in the sense of parallel universes and timelines. And yet, they don't interact, they don't even acknowledge each other.

It's a majorly missed opportunity, and another instance of it being suggested that more had happened off panel.
    Last edited by The Myth; 01-13-2023 at 03:54 AM.

Last edited by juan678; 01-13-2023 at 04:57 AM.

and more repost

Those are hilarious, Juan!

Quote Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
    I really liked Abnett and Lanning's run on New Mutants, but there is one thing that really bothered me.
    20230113_192032.jpg
    This was the first and thus far has been the only time Nate and Rachel have ever been in the same place at the same time. They are meant to be brother and sister, in the sense of parallel universes and timelines. And yet, they don't interact, they don't even acknowledge each other.

It's a majorly missed opportunity, and another instance of it being suggested that more had happened off panel.
    Did they not meet in his crossover with Excalibur? I only read the first part of it. But, yeah, they spent quite a bit of time with Hope, but not Rachel. Those issues felt a little rushed, though. Maybe they just couldn't fit anymore in?

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Those are hilarious, Juan!

Did they not meet in his crossover with Excalibur? I only read the first part of it. But, yeah, they spent quite a bit of time with Hope, but not Rachel. Those issues felt a little rushed, though. Maybe they just couldn't fit anymore in?
    Rachel wasn't with Excalibur at the time. The lineup was Captain Britain, Meggan, Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolfsbane, MacTaggert, Pete Wisdom, Douglock and Daytripper.

Nate did however get along very well with Wolfsbane and Moira. Both being concerned for Nate's wellbeing once he left Muir Island.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    and more repost

Lol. These are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
    Rachel wasn't with Excalibur at the time. The lineup was Captain Britain, Meggan, Shadowcat, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolfsbane, MacTaggert, Pete Wisdom, Douglock and Daytripper.

Nate did however get along very well with Wolfsbane and Moira. Both being concerned for Nate's wellbeing once he left Muir Island.
    I wonder how Rahne would feel about him now? Given all that happened to the mutants he didn't take into AoXM.

Rating Nate's Rogues Gallery #4.

Apocalypse (A.o.A).
    20230112_233558.jpg
    First conflict: X-Men Omega vol 1 #1.

The tyrannical overlord and the progenitor of the entire Age of Apocalypse.

Nate first engaged Apocalypse within his citadel. Nate prevented the tyrant from executing Magneto. Magneto and Nate agree to team up again Apocalypse. But Nate is immediately assaulted by Holocaust, flinging them both through the wall and temporally taking him out of the fight with Apocalypse.

When Nate returns he finds Magneto out for the count and Apocalypse trying to leave with a shard of the M'kraan Crystal. Nate lands several blows against Apocalypse and steals the crystal shard.

Magneto comes to and rejoins the fray. Nate and Magneto unleash a barrage against Apocalypse. The duo are dominating the fight, until Holocaust once again assaults Nate, leaving Magneto alone once again to fight Apocalypse.

The conflict concludes with Magneto tearing Apocalypse in two.

Summary:
    AoA is an excellent storyline and Apocalypse is an excellent villain, but he isn't an excellent foe for Nate.
    There is very little to no dynamic between the two, other than the purpose Sinister had set for Nate. And the 'prophesized' conclusion was constantly interrupted.
    Nate Grey may have been created to destroy Apocalypse, but he is far more suited as a Magneto enemy.

Rating: 6/10.
    Last edited by The Myth; 01-15-2023 at 05:51 AM.

I wonder how Rahne would feel about him now? Given all that happened to the mutants he didn't take into AoXM.
    With her being Dani's bestfriend, I feel that Rahne's reaction will depend on how Dani responds whenever Nate returns.

I don't know, Rahne may be harboring some resentment. She never seems to have dealt with the loss of her lover and son or her own murder, which was almost a suicide. (Of course, it was revealed that her son is alive and that was never dealt with, either.)

Back to Nate. I agree that Apocalypse isn't a great villain for Nate. That said, he might want to have a few words with Nate regarding what he became in AoXM. Whether those words would be accompanied by violence or not, I couldn't say.

I'm hoping Nate and Rachel would be the spotlight characters in the MCU x-men. I rather skip the O5 for the Gen X group but I don't mind adding Nate and Rachel to that group. I would've preferred Teen Nate to Teen Cable so here's another chance.

If Fox had continued I would've probably introduced Nate in a Sinister focused sequel to Dark Phoniex.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-15-2023 at 11:58 AM.

It might be awkward to introduce Nate without Age of Apocalypse, or Rachel without Days of Future Past.

Personally, I could do without Nate being a teen again. But then, I didn't like young adult stories (except for New Mutants) when I was a young adult, and that hasn't really changed.

It might be awkward to introduce Nate without Age of Apocalypse, or Rachel without Days of Future Past.

Personally, I could do without Nate being a teen again. But then, I didn't like young adult stories (except for New Mutants) when I was a young adult, and that hasn't really changed.
    These movies tend to simplify these characters and do their own thing. So I can see them cutting the alternate reality aspect and streamlining it.

I don't mind him being a teen in the movies because he's more likely to grow up than if he was a teen in the comics.