Page 81 of 187 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2796

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I don't know if Waid is playing fast and loose with continuity or just decided to set World's Finest in a sort of gap between Lilith joining and then Karen and Mal joining, but if those 2 are with the Teen Titans shouldn't Lilith also be a member in theory? My 60/70's Titans continuity is a bit fuzzy.
    That's why I asked about the order they joined. Looks like he's shuffled the order of events compared to the originally published silver/bronze age comics. And the Titans roster is a bigger deal than the fact Donna gets her modern costume too early (the Doom Patrol were already dead - in 1968 - by the time she started wearing the red pants - in 1969 - but that can pass considering Dick and Garth's costumes have also been updated). If Lilith joined years before Bumblebee - and both were present until the cancellation before being replaced when New Teen Titans launched - then it means Lilith should be on the team.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Lilith was gone by the time Karen joined the Teen Titans. She soon showed up as part of the short lived Teen Titans West. It will be interesting to see what Waid does with updating their history. I mean after Dark Crisis and Doomsday Clock we are dealing with a new continuity technically. We've been seeing some of it in World's Finest and I've enjoyed it so far. As long as no previous Teen Titans get specifically written out of their history I'll be fine with some time frame shuffling.

Who cares about the continuity of a book that was launched more than 60 years ago? If Waid wants to use Lilith, he should not be restrained by when she joined the Titans or which team she was part of.

The Titans didn't have social media when they were a group in 1962 or something either, but looks like is a big part of this book.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

It's basically revamping and re-contexualizing the Silver Age Titans.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Honestly, after the 52 era butchered Titans continuity and Rebirth made it almost incomprehensible, I welcome a straightforward retelling in the way Mark Waid can so brilliantly do.

Just give me Discowing. If only to make the haters cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Honestly, after the 52 era butchered Titans continuity and Rebirth made it almost incomprehensible, I welcome a straightforward retelling in the way Mark Waid can so brilliantly do.
    Hopefully this fares better standing the test of time than Waid's other continuity "straightforward retelling" JLA: YEAR ONE, if indeed this is meant to be a soft reboot of the mainstream and not just a fanciful series. Either way, looks great so far.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Who cares about the continuity of a book that was launched more than 60 years ago? If Waid wants to use Lilith, he should not be restrained by when she joined the Titans or which team she was part of.

The Titans didn't have social media when they were a group in 1962 or something either, but looks like is a big part of this book.
    I'm generally on board with that as well.

At this point, with the Titans forming in the early 21st century, getting Karen and Mal on the team relatively early kind of works for me. Although I am a little amused that Karen came along first in this retelling.

Just as long as Waid doesn't erase Duela, I'm cool with it.

I'm just hoping they don't make Karen feel like a sixth wheel and flesh her dynamics with the rest of the team.

Glad she's here, but let's not shortchange any potential development.

Lilith and Mal would be welcome additions too, especially since neither needs to be fighting crime outright early in their history. So they can be supporting characters.

The Canary Cottage being the team's off-duty hangout spot would be a nice nod and give Lilith an opening to be in the story.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

Well, that's a necessary setting update, while it's set in the 1970s comics era, that's about 2010 in-universe now, which is after Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube launched. It's basically going to be 1970s Teen Titans in the style of the 2010s Champions (which was also Waid, and did heavily use social media).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Hopefully this fares better standing the test of time than Waid's other continuity "straightforward retelling" JLA: YEAR ONE, if indeed this is meant to be a soft reboot of the mainstream and not just a fanciful series. Either way, looks great so far.
    Over two decades later, and it's still one of my all-time favorites stories.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, that's a necessary setting update, while it's set in the 1970s comics era, that's about 2010 in-universe now, which is after Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube launched. It's basically going to be 1970s Teen Titans in the style of the 2010s Champions (which was also Waid, and did heavily use social media).
    Yeah, I don't mind tweaks that just update an older tale to better fit the modern setting. Star Trek fans who kvetch that Enterprise or Strange New Worlds have fancier tech than the chronologically-later old classic Star Trek (which was laughable painted cardboard 'computers' and dudes behind the sliding doors saying 'shhh' really loud as they manually opened the 'automatic doors') are similar.

The old stories we saw were written before they had more modern special effects / background stuff, and now that the tales are being told in an age that has more options, then the Titans of this century should have those options considered as well.

A story can change, but still be true, just more information has become available, and now that, too, is being told.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    I'm just hoping they don't make Karen feel like a sixth wheel and flesh her dynamics with the rest of the team.

Glad she's here, but let's not shortchange any potential development.

Lilith and Mal would be welcome additions too, especially since neither needs to be fighting crime outright early in their history. So they can be supporting characters.

The Canary Cottage being the team's off-duty hangout spot would be a nice nod and give Lilith an opening to be in the story.
    I don't think Waid would be including them if he didn't think they were important to his story otherwise he probably would've stuck with the Fab Five.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Waid would be including them if he didn't think they were important to his story otherwise he probably would've stuck with the Fab Five.
    I don’t think you can tell stories with the fab five like that today. I love the group but I know they have diversity discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I don’t think you can tell stories with the fab five like that today. I love the group but I know they have diversity discussions.
    I don't think that would matter for a World's Finest throwback book.