Page 98 of 187 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2796

People that complain about Terry always have the same arguments, but it's funny that you can actually dislike him for his decisions before his death, but no one brings that up. He left with his kid when Donna was away, filed a divorce and a restraining order against her saying her superhero life was dangerous to their kid.

Also, they killed him and his two kids unceremoniously because the editor at the time thought a married Donna Troy was boring (Funny way to think, huh?).
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    People that complain about Terry always have the same arguments, but it's funny that you can actually dislike him for his decisions before his death, but no one brings that up. He left with his kid when Donna was away, filed a divorce and a restraining order against her saying her superhero life was dangerous to their kid.

Also, they killed him and his two kids unceremoniously because the editor at the time thought a married Donna Troy was boring (Funny way to think, huh?).
    Yeah those sound like very good reasons to not like him but no one brings those up. Ever. I never read those stories it seems since they don't ring a bell. Other than the car accident but I think I just recall it being mentioned afterwards in a later story. So when I think of Terry and Donna it's really the early stories from the NTT era and not much from after them getting married.

Incredible Member

I'm curious, what did people think of the World's Finest: Teen Titans #1? I liked it, I thought it was fun and it seems that the plot and development of Roy and also Dick will be very important

Poor Roy...

And Golden Eagle/Charley Ander appeared in the issue! Now I'm rooting for Lilith to also appear in the series

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Yeah those sound like very good reasons to not like him but no one brings those up. Ever. I never read those stories it seems since they don't ring a bell. Other than the car accident but I think I just recall it being mentioned afterwards in a later story. So when I think of Terry and Donna it's really the early stories from the NTT era and not much from after them getting married.
    Most people only read Wolfman and Perez era cause it's the best and quite frankly the rest doesn't really live up to that.

Donna's marriage started to go sideways after Wolfman left the Team Titans.

"The break up happened in Team Titans after I left it. I disagreed with it and said so, but the writer did it anyway. It was wrong in my mind to do it--Donna and Terry would not suddenly split up that way. They may have split up if we saw a real problem between them but I just had them occasionally have Donna's power come between them--something they would have gotten through. Once the divorce was done though, and I got the character back, I could not simply undo what was done. Hence my following up on it etc. It was an editorial decision that led Donna to Kyle...which I also don't feel was right, but had no real reason to argue. IF Donna split with Terry and Dick was splitting with Kory, I would have very slowly had Dick and Donna get together...which I did suggest in an overview memo."

This scene was written by Wolfman.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    You want her to be the same as an adult ?

The growth of character was perfect till New 52. More maturity, a person that suffered and had to deal with her imperfections and tragedies but that also shows her gentle and kind side.

Most people only read Wolfman and Perez era cause it's the best and quite frankly the rest doesn't really live up to that.

"The break up happened in Team Titans after I left it. I disagreed with it and said so, but the writer did it anyway. It was wrong in my mind to do it--Donna and Terry would not suddenly split up that way. They may have split up if we saw a real problem between them but I just had them occasionally have Donna's power come between them--something they would have gotten through. Once the divorce was done though, and I got the character back, I could not simply undo what was done. Hence my following up on it etc. It was an editorial decision that led Donna to Kyle...which I also don't feel was right, but had no real reason to argue. IF Donna split with Terry and Dick was splitting with Kory, I would have very slowly had Dick and Donna get together...which I did suggest in an overview memo."

Thank goodness Dick and Donna never hooked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thank goodness Dick and Donna never hooked up.
    Tell that to Chuck Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I really think that looking at him through today's lenses. Have you seen twenty-somethings form the late seventies early eighties? If men had beards, they would look 15 to 20 years older than men do now, even with hipster beards. Just look at Richard Dreyfuss in The Goodbye Girl. He was only 30. I would swear he looks like 50-something.
    As for the age difference. It wasn't like Terry knew Donna when she was under 18. They met when she was 19 and they got married rather quickly. I think many now a days think of Terry being older is because he was a divorced dad and was a professor. Dude wasn't even 30 yet.

As for Donna's powers, I wish she would get back some of her Toria powers, simply so she wouldn't be Wonder-Light next to Diana. Maybe not the photonic shields and stuff, but at least the memory powers stuff, and that her star field actually was a star map.
    Absolutely it wasn't just his look. His life circumstances were also very middle aged man. He was a college professor who was already divorced with a teenage daughter. He felt middle aged. If you have to go into the specific details to explain why it not technically as icky as it looks, its probably not worth it. Especially today. Another factor is that he was wildly unspectacular. Donna is this hot young superhero who fell for a boring divorcee professor who looks like a middle age man.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-12-2023 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Absolutely it wasn't just his look. His life circumstances were also very middle aged man. He was a college professor who was already divorced with a teenage daughter. He felt middle aged. If you have to go into the specific details to explain why it not technically as icky as it looks, its probably not worth it. Especially today. Another factor is that he was wildly unspectacular. Donna is this hot young superhero fell for a boring divorcee professor who looks like a middle age man.
    Like I said, questionable relationship choices .

Although I think it fit that it was a relatively mundane, "real" guy.

Dick actually told Donna he loved her on her wedding day! It reads like he thinks of her as a sister (which at the time he didn't have - he discovered a long lost one in his current book and Cass Cain probably counts as one too since Batman adopted her, but neither Melinda nor Cass existed yet in the 80s) - but if Wolfman was considering having Dick and Donna be lovers, maybe he intended for there to be more meaning behind Dick's words - that while he implied it was platonically, he really meant romantically?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I guess the Donna x Kyle thing was when she was with the Darkstars. Most of my Kyle books he's with Jade.

Absolutely it wasn't just his look. His life circumstances were also very middle aged man. He was a college professor who was already divorced with a teenage daughter. He felt middle aged. If you have to go into the specific details to explain why it not technically as icky as it looks, its probably not worth it. Especially today. Another factor is that he was wildly unspectacular. Donna is this hot young superhero fell for a boring divorcee professor who looks like a middle age man.
    Especially compared to the love interests of other heroines. Like Steve Trevor was just GI Joe.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Dick actually told Donna he loved her on her wedding day! It reads like he thinks of her as a sister (which at the time he didn't have - he discovered a long lost one in his current book and Cass Cain probably counts as one too since Batman adopted her, but neither Melinda nor Cass existed yet in the 80s) - but if Wolfman was considering having Dick and Donna be lovers, maybe he intended for there to be more meaning behind Dick's words - that while he implied it was platonically, he really meant romantically?
    I don't think it has any other meaning other than a sibling relationship. In that quote you see that he was against Donna spliting with Terry and didn't wanted to happen. Not to mention that he was the one who made the DickXKory relationship. So i doubt he would be even thinking about Dick and Donna being together at the time.

Him wanting to put Dick and Donna together was probably a fallback option to the relationships he built in thoses years crumbuling.

No disagreement there. The fact that the most prominent men of her life are Terry Long and Roy Harper is a disgrace, and i like Roy. She deserves much better.

If they weren't like siblings, Dick and Donna would be like a power couple.
    But i love that they are this platonic friends\sibilings that really love each other but never had any romantic interest behind it.

Remember when Dick had a nightmare, and in that nightmare he was married to Donna, and they had two kids, and Donna cheated on him with Roy?
    Nightwing 010 (1997) (digital-Empire) 006.jpgNightwing 010 (1997) (digital-Empire) 015.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Remember when Dick had a nightmare, and in that nightmare he was married to Donna, and they had two kids, and Donna cheated on him with Roy?
    Nightwing 010 (1997) (digital-Empire) 006.jpgNightwing 010 (1997) (digital-Empire) 015.jpg
    Whatever he dreams in the Knights Terror will pale in comparison.

Mark Waid interview about the new book:
    https://www.cbr.com/worlds-finest-te...aid-interview/

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Woah, back it up! Dick, out of nowhere, being part of the superhero scene for most of his life, his DNA in Bruce's computer that has access to most of the world's records, is only now finding out about a long lost sister!? That is fanfiction level of asspull. In fact, I've probably scrolled past 1000 summaries with that very thing in the summary.

Cass should be counted, if her adoption pre-Flashpoint is back in canon, at the very least. Hell, most fanfics count her anyway, with Steph being counted as well (her relationship to Tim varying).