Page 156 of 187 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 2796

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    IC was gore personified, imho. The ripping off of limbs of I believe that Titan Pantha and the like. The first two arcs of his Teen Titans run borrowed way too much from the original Wolfman/Perez issues to actually be considered original stories.
    I remember the brutality of IC.

I mean, I think it was kind of the point of those opening salvos as introductory arcs? Especially since it was just the first two.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember the brutality of IC.

I mean, I think it was kind of the point of those opening salvos as introductory arcs? Especially since it was just the first two.
    Some of it was hilariously over the top. Bushido gets cut in half by Superbrat Prime's 'heat vision,' which, if it was hot enough to *cut a man in half* would have cauterized the wound, but, this being a gore-fest, left his halves in a giant pool of blood, because apparently Prime doesn't have 'heat vision,' he has 'sword vision' what cuts people into bloody halves...

Plus I think I hysterically laughed when Prime punched Pantha's head off *and then blamed her for it!* ("You're ruining everything!" Gosh, Prime, maybe try *NOT* punching people's heads off, if you want to be seen as a hero?) and then murdered her Wildebaby just for good measure. (Or did he kill the baby first? I don't even remember...)

Risk lost yet another limb there, IIRC. Wow. It's like a Monty Python sketch, and he's the Black Knight. Next one of his legs is going to get hacked off. "Roight! Come back here, I'll do you for that?"

I was less amused when it didn't get reset immediately, and was treated as being something other than a silly meta 'make fun of comics' joke, like an Inferior Five book or Ambush Bug special...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Some of it was hilariously over the top. Bushido gets cut in half by Superbrat Prime's 'heat vision,' which, if it was hot enough to *cut a man in half* would have cauterized the wound, but, this being a gore-fest, left his halves in a giant pool of blood, because apparently Prime doesn't have 'heat vision,' he has 'sword vision' what cuts people into bloody halves...

Plus I think I hysterically laughed when Prime punched Pantha's head off *and then blamed her for it!* ("You're ruining everything!" Gosh, Prime, maybe try *NOT* punching people's heads off, if you want to be seen as a hero?) and then murdered her Wildebaby just for good measure. (Or did he kill the baby first? I don't even remember...)

Risk lost yet another limb there, IIRC. Wow. It's like a Monty Python sketch, and he's the Black Knight. Next one of his legs is going to get hacked off. "Roight! Come back here, I'll do you for that?"

I was less amused when it didn't get reset immediately, and was treated as being something other than a silly meta 'make fun of comics' joke, like an Inferior Five book or Ambush Bug special...
    At least Pantha's married now .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Probably depends on the writer cuz I remember Wally was staying with his parents while he was waiting for college to start and Wolfman never portray Mr. West as abusive.
    Pre-Crisis, his parents were pretty nice and normal. Him being a child of a dysfunctional home was a post-Crisis retcon, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Pre-Crisis, his parents were pretty nice and normal. Him being a child of a dysfunctional home was a post-Crisis retcon, I believe.
    ^^^Mike Baron started that particular ball rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    But that’s exactly my critique. I’m not saying *every* Titans run needs to have high stakes, but THIS one in particular was sold as being very high stakes, as the Titans finally “graduating” as the DCU’s alpha team.
    Yet so far it’s the same as basically every other run. They actually handled bigger threats during Wolfman’s run and this first arc is just a repetition of things we’ve seen already. I know we’re getting a Titans event, but I think any run should be able to sell its basic premise within its first 3 issues at most. Many readers don’t stick around if they’re not getting what was promised.
    Higher stakes would certainly be a plus. Needless to say the laid back Breakfast Club like nature of the Titans has long been met with scorn by certain members of the JL.

The right combo of high octane big stakes storytelling and Breakfast Club like issues is where it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Higher stakes would certainly be a plus. Needless to say the laid back Breakfast Club like nature of the Titans has long been met with scorn by certain members of the JL.

The right combo of high octane big stakes storytelling and Breakfast Club like issues is where it needs to be.
    Oh yeah, the super accomplished members of the Justice League, Ice and Fire. If anything it looks worse for them.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Yeah, wasn't their team a comedy book? JLA didn't go back to being a big stakes serious book until Morrison took over in the late 90s I think?

And given Wally is the Flash, this must be after New Teen Titans rebranded as just New Titans. Your info was out of date, Fire.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Bea and Tora's current status almost feels like karma for this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Bea and Tora's current status almost feels like karma for this scene.
    ^^^Yeah, glass houses baby.

Astonishing Member

I think Johns wrote better tension and more involved character drama/dynamics.
    Johns was good at tension. After a certain point, I felt tense reading because Titans were dropping like flies in violent and gory ways.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Johns was good at tension. After a certain point, I felt tense reading because Titans were dropping like flies in violent and gory ways.
    Well, not to the main team...except Bart I guess, but he got better.

(Actually did Cyborg get decapitated? I don't think so.)

Incredible Member

Well, not to the main team...except Bart I guess, but he got better.

(Actually did Cyborg get decapitated? I don't think so.)
    Nope he has been during Johns take, earliest was #4 of his Teen Titans run.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Attachment 135366

How long has Gar been able to change into a swarm of bees or a group of bugs? He's Beast Boy, not Multiple Man.

AAAAaaaaand I still don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

AAAAaaaaand I still don't know.
    ^^^Maybe it was a one off deal?

TBH it’d be a hell of an upgrade.
    A swarm of bees is good but, a colony of bats (like in Dracula Untold), shiver of sharks, streak of tigers, aerie of eagles or herd of elephants would ruin some bad guy’s day big time!