Page 234 of 358 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284334 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 5357
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Going by what is said...It may very well be that Jean's return is not Phoenix-induced. And if not...then how? Will we be seeing an entirely new and different iteration of Jean?
    For the first time since IXM 01 Gillenister has me...intrigued.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post

I don't see anything utilitarian about the look. It's basically the signature X-Men colors since she was an original member. And more super heroines would benefit from a ponytail because it prevents your hair from flying into your face. Which is why athletes wear them. And Jean's two story arcs (The Phoenix Saga and the Dark Phoenix Saga) were the more important thing on the show. She was the most powerful comic book character on television. The whole Phoenix thing in the comics was her getting a boost in her powers, which is what the show did.

It's basically a jump suit lacking in flair and style. It looks like it was design for a tech worker -- not a super hero. The color scheme doesn't even match classic blue/yellow or black/yellow -- it's more of an orange. I know some people like it, but there are so many reasons it didn't work for me (and honestly, other than Rogue and maybe Cyclops -- Jim Lee's 90s designs weren't great).

A small minority of people bash the show because as adults they expected a 90's kids show to have better animation, not use current comic book costumes trends, have writing from 30 years in the future and be something completely different, while ignoring the fact that the X-Men the Animated Series is the best comic book series of all time right after Batman the Animated Series. Which is why they're rebooting XTAS and not X-Men Evolution or Wolverine and his X-men.
    I think the show was decent for Saturday morning fare, but it's not close to touching BTAS -- which had much better acting, writing and production values. I think nostalgia, not quality, is the major motivation in bringing it back. But nostalgia sells, and some fans of the original show will probably enjoy it. Some may prefer to just watch the original series.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Actually I think just before the Jim Lee look, Jean sported one of her best non-Phoenix costumes in Whilce Portacio's X-Factor:

I always felt it was a generic team uniform but done right.

I actually agree, I didn't mention it because she wasn't in it long and as you mentioned it was more of a Team suit. That said, I thought she looked the best in this from 1986 until she switch to the Jim Lee suit. This costume and the Revolution look have always had a special place in my heart!

Gorgeous Brooks cover. Also, this part:

"...something is very wrong with Jean...or is it something very right?"

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Gorgeous Brooks cover. Also, this part:

"...something is very wrong with Jean...or is it something very right?"

God is woman OMGGH

Love the cover. I really want to see the full New X-Men one. I’m confused by Ultimate Jean being there though.
    First X-Lady

That line sounds like something they might think about a (once again) Phoenix Jean to me. But maybe I'm being delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
    Love the cover. I really want to see the full New X-Men one. I’m confused by Ultimate Jean being there though.
    They probably didn't know that was not Jean of E-616, lol.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Gillen had this to say about IXM 17 during his recent interview:

Also, is this what's behind the IXM logo?

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Man Jean's current costume is near perfect especially as drawn by Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
    teen jean had contact with jean from ultimate, maybe that's it

Aparently jean won't need phoenix to return. I'm not sure how they will get to Dark Phoenix considering Phoenix can still choose Exodus or Hope

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    It's basically a jump suit lacking in flair and style. It looks like it was design for a tech worker -- not a super hero. The color scheme doesn't even match classic blue/yellow or black/yellow -- it's more of an orange. I know some people like it, but there are so many reasons it didn't work for me (and honestly, other than Rogue and maybe Cyclops -- Jim Lee's 90s designs weren't great).

I think the show was decent for Saturday morning fare, but it's not close to touching BTAS -- which had much better acting, writing and production values. I think nostalgia, not quality, is the major motivation in bringing it back. But nostalgia sells, and some fans of the original show will probably enjoy it. Some may prefer to just watch the original series.
    If we go by that logic, no X-Men has had any good looking costume ever. But it's common for "fans" to hate every costume and era of the X-Men ever, and the only reason they like them is because of nostalgia.

And no comic cartoon has ever been good besides Batman. Every other cartoon has ever been a commercial for selling toys and merchandise. I get it.

The only reason the X-Men have had any media and movies from Fox and comics today is because of the nostalgia from the Animated Series cartoon, the Toybiz toys, and the X-Men arcade game. Most fans think the stories and movies are **** most of the time because they actually read the comics and don't just like the merchandise they're associated with.

This just reminds me of the people who liked Rogue One because they didn't have Jedi or the Force used. It's the least Star Wars movie and it's because they actually passively hate the content that drew them in in the first place. Like the X-Men and their fans.

Of course it's nostalgia. If they can get people to watch Ghost Busters, Star Wars, Power Rangers, and Ninja Turtles reboots and buy their merchandise, which were all terrible in hindsight, why wouldn't they bring back the X-Men? The last X-Men movies were flops, their costumes sucked, and they haven't had a good writer in 40 years. Right?

Jean really had Gillen sweating and working overtime.

Source: https://buttondown.email/KieronGille...od-boy-indeed/

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Jean really had Gillen sweating and working overtime.

Source: https://buttondown.email/KieronGille...od-boy-indeed/

That's what I would expect to "hear" from a writer who is trying to do Jean justice (if this is about her). It's tough to write her. It's actually humbling.

Do I trust Gillen with her? Not really. But if he finds it difficult to write her, it might be a good sign that he is actually trying to portray her well.