Page 279 of 358 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,185 of 5357
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    That's peaked my interest as well. Is there a place where all the characters on each card are confirmed?
    I don't think so, I've only seen a handful of them like Kamala Khan as The Sun, Dr. Strange as The Magician, Deadpool as The Fool and Loki as The Devil...which was odd, you'd think Mephisto would be The Devil.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 09-28-2023 at 05:18 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

I prefer her in the High Priestess role. Conflating her with death seems regressive.
    Why do you think it's regressive?

Death is the card of "change" in Tarot. It represents something ending, but also something new starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

Death is the card of "change" in Tarot. It represents something ending, but also something new starting.
    As the song goes, every new beginning comes from some other begining's end.

But yes, the Death card in Tarot often signifies the death of a status quo rather than someone dying.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    As the song goes, every new beginning comes from some other begining's end.

But yes, the Death card in Tarot often signifies the death of a status quo rather than someone dying.
    and everytime Jean has had a major death and returned, its resulted in a shift in the status quo

Love this. From Magneto #2 (2023):

”They call her…Marvel Girl. An insipid, inadequate name for a creature so powerful. More powerful than any of them realize. It’s as if I see her future laid out before me. See her rising like a Phoenix from the ashes of tragedy to embrace a great and terrible destiny.”—Magneto
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

That's a great reminder to the fact that Jean single-handedly beat Magneto in X-Men #63.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I don't think so, I've only seen a handful of them like Kamala Khan as The Sun, Dr. Strange as The Magician, Deadpool as The Fool and Loki as The Devil...which was odd, you'd think Mephisto would be The Devil.
    I saw those as well with a Google search. I thought there may have been a video where someone had gotten an early copy and reviewed all the cards.

I guess Loki is more popular now and they wanted him to have a significant card and this is the only one they could think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

My issue isn't with the significance of death as part of the Tarot but with the fact that Jean already gets unduly blamed for always dying and resurrecting and I'd like to see her not be connected with death so much.

That's why I found it refreshing that in the Midnight Sons game, Jean was the High Priestess and it was Thanos' lover Death who took the role of Death. And of course, Jean herself has spoken to Death many times so if an actual embodiment of Death exists, that would be a better choice for that card. But much like with Loki playing the Devil role instead of Mephisto, it seems Marvel was more interested in picking symbolic representations based on more popular characters.

My issue isn't with the significance of death as part of the Tarot but with the fact that Jean already gets unduly blamed for always dying and resurrecting and I'd like to see her not be connected with death so much.

That's why I found it refreshing that in the Midnight Sons game, Jean was the High Priestess and it was Thanos' lover Death who took the role of Death. And of course, Jean herself has spoken to Death many times so if an actual embodiment of Death exists, that would be a better choice for that card. But much like with Loki playing the Devil role instead of Mephisto, it seems Marvel was more interested in picking symbolic representations based on more popular characters.
    Well, you can't beat Death to be the death card, but for a series where everyone is one of the X-Men, it's either Jean or Warren, and despite Warren once actually being called Death, Jean IS a better representation of what the cats signifies. When Jean returns, even if the death was only a few panels previous, she shakes the foundation of the series, and that goes all the way back to that initial space shuttle crash.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I love these panels. Such power in Jean!
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 09-28-2023 at 08:08 PM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

That's a great reminder to the fact that Jean single-handedly beat Magneto in X-Men #63.
    Yeah, but what Magneto was referencing was an earlier fight with Jean, not #63.

In the original story, Jean used her TK full force on Mags. You see dotted lines coming out of her in all directions towards him. Magneto only won because he already had gassed Jean but she did not know it, so that what she thought was full power, was virtually nothing and then she passed out.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Ah, one of the few scenarios where I agree with magneto- marvel girl being an insipid name for jean.

I’ve said before; I personally cringe any time I see “marvel girl” rather than jean grey, and loathe the idea of her being “upgraded” to something like “marvel woman”. It reeks of a bygone era, to me, where characters were named after their franchise in some fourth-wall-breaking concept. I compare it to the idea of there being a “DC girl”
    Or “DC woman”. It’s just so cheeky and cheesy for me, especially when I think of it in more “realistic”
    Movies like live film (to be clear I feel the Same about comics). I just don’t see the appeal other than nostalgia.

So anyway…. Yea, magneto!
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    The Death Card from The Marvel Tarot Deck and Guidebook:

Death is okay, but since Storm is The High Priestess card now, I'd love if Jean was either The Empress or The Strength (my favourite for her).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Ah, one of the few scenarios where I agree with magneto- marvel girl being an insipid name for jean.

I’ve said before; I personally cringe any time I see “marvel girl” rather than jean grey, and loathe the idea of her being “upgraded” to something like “marvel woman”. It reeks of a bygone era, to me, where characters were named after their franchise in some fourth-wall-breaking concept. I compare it to the idea of there being a “DC girl”
    Or “DC woman”. It’s just so cheeky and cheesy for me, especially when I think of it in more “realistic”
    Movies like live film (to be clear I feel the Same about comics). I just don’t see the appeal other than nostalgia.

So anyway…. Yea, magneto!
    DC Girl could have electrical powers lmao

Agree with Mags about the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Death is okay, but since Storm is The High Priestess card now, I'd love if Jean was either The Empress or The Strength (my favourite for her).
    Xavier is The Hierophant and Gambit is The Wheel of Fortune.

The Empress is my preferred card for Jean as well since I think she deserves the crown. I don't know who the Strength card is, but I imagine it'll go to a character like She-Hulk. Captain Marvel is probably The Star.