Page 274 of 358 FirstFirst ... 174224264270271272273274275276277278284324 ... LastLast
Results 4,096 to 4,110 of 5357
    BANNED

Jean Grey: often imitated, even more often duplicated.

Mainly because she is not allowed to use her own imagery. (Because of shipping.)
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 09-24-2023 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's a bird, yes...just not a firebird/Phoenix. There is an obvious difference (Besides one being a cosmic avatar and the other being a Hex projection.)
    main-qimg-0a037f4f4c4f009570b0903b862a3e62.jpg

absolutely no similarities here. so different. You are right. Now I see it too that there is nothing to see.
    Last edited by Exodus; 09-24-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Err, I agree that it does look similar, but tbh there's nothing wrong with having bird imagery if it's not actually the Phoenix. I think they should've just colored it red so it wouldn't look like Jean's raptors, I know Wanda's powers often get colored pink too but if it was more red and darker the resemblence wouldn't have bothered most people IG.

BANNED

Wtf does Wanda have to do with psychic birds anyway?

From Steve Orlando on Xwitter when berated about it: "the eagle is a symbol of countries like Serbia and Romania, from which Transia (a fictional country) draws inspiration. Wanda herself has family roots in Serbia, in-story. It's a real-world cultural beat."

In other news, AIPT released this podcast episode today:
    Talking Jean Grey and podcasting with Women of Marvel podcast hosts Ellie Pyle and Preeti Chhibber
    https://aipt-comics.simplecast.com/e...reeti-chhibber

"The Women of Marvel podcast returned for the fall 2023 season earlier this month with changes including a brand-new format and a new co-host, and to get the inside look, hosts Ellie Pyle and Preeti Chhibber join the AIPT Comics podcast. We dig into Jean Grey, their podcasting craft, and more!"

I haven't had a chance to listen yet but wanted to share it.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Doesn't look an eagle. At all. It actually looks like a crow or any other medium-sized bird. Definitely not a bird of prey.
    Anyway. Definitely not a Phoenix. A Phoenix would have a way longer tail and usually is drawn less "puffy", more "lean".
    So no stealing imageries to dear Jean this time.

The art is good though. I admit that any time I see art from the covers of inside art from this book makes me want to give the book a try.

Besides Jean, apparently Raven fans have been attacking Wanda as well. It's quite funny how outside of Internet forums, Jean and Wanda fandoms tend to overlap. I've rarely met someone who likes one while hating the other.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    From Steve Orlando on Xwitter when berated about it: "the eagle is a symbol of countries like Serbia and Romania, from which Transia (a fictional country) draws inspiration. Wanda herself has family roots in Serbia, in-story. It's a real-world cultural beat."

In other news, AIPT released this podcast episode today:
    Talking Jean Grey and podcasting with Women of Marvel podcast hosts Ellie Pyle and Preeti Chhibber
    https://aipt-comics.simplecast.com/e...reeti-chhibber

"The Women of Marvel podcast returned for the fall 2023 season earlier this month with changes including a brand-new format and a new co-host, and to get the inside look, hosts Ellie Pyle and Preeti Chhibber join the AIPT Comics podcast. We dig into Jean Grey, their podcasting craft, and more!"

I haven't had a chance to listen yet but wanted to share it.
    Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Besides Jean, apparently Raven fans have been attacking Wanda as well. It's quite funny how outside of Internet forums, Jean and Wanda fandoms tend to overlap. I've rarely met someone who likes one while hating the other.
    I had 0 feelings or opinions about the character, other than finding Marvel's "powerful women must be crazy" rule tiring.

All I know is, Marvel diluting the branding is irritating. Wanda shouldn't have a bird raptor, from an editorial and branding perspective.

Spectacular Member

In recent comics, chaos magic has been depicted more and more like the Phoenix, Including being depicted as being able to create and destroy life, and being painted as if it were a flame... Recently it even got a "crystal" as a related item. And now we see this bird. According to the writer's meaning, it is indeed an eagle, but the painting is not like it. I don't mean anything other than to say that a lot of Marvel creators may have run out of ideas when it comes to writing cosmic heroines.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking elements from Jean to give to Wanda to try and tie the two characters in together more explicitly. Like somehow chaos magic and the Phoenix are connected. Especially since Wanda was at least previously the nexus of the 616 universe and Jean has been called a nexus too and was the nexus of the universe where Inferno never ended.

This may suggest that they have plans to connect them in the MCU as well. Especially if they feel they cannot do more with Wanda if Elizabeth Olsen refuses to return and want Jean to essentially fill that role once she's introduced.

Spectacular Member

Because it was originally a Wanda fan who posted the panel of Wanda wrapped in pink bird-shaped energy with the caption "Raven and Jean tipped a bit." Then Raven and Jean fans found out about it, and the controversy started.
    Last edited by PotniaTheron; 09-24-2023 at 06:43 PM.

Spectacular Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they're taking elements from Jean to give to Wanda to try and tie the two characters in together more explicitly. Like somehow chaos magic and the Phoenix are connected. Especially since Wanda was at least previously the nexus of the 616 universe and Jean has been called a nexus too and was the nexus of the universe where Inferno never ended.

This may suggest that they have plans to connect them in the MCU as well. Especially if they feel they cannot do more with Wanda if Elizabeth Olsen refuses to return and want Jean to essentially fill that role once she's introduced.
    Jean was described by Louis Simonson in 1986 as "a nexus of possibility", where probabilities are broken just by being near her. She should be the first Marvel character to be described as a "Nexus". In AVX, Chaos magic seems to be related to the Phoenix Force. But this is only Iron Man's speculation, and at the end of the story Iron Man himself admits that he was wrong. Also, throughout the storyline, it was Hope, not Jean, who formed a relationship with Wanda. Hope has always been implied to be Jean's creation, and her phoenix is a fragment of Jean.

Hi! nice to meet you then. ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's a bird, yes...just not a firebird/Phoenix. There is an obvious difference (Besides one being a cosmic avatar and the other being a Hex projection.)
    For me it is the bird energy effect as an aura that enwraps Wanda's body. She could have turned into bird but she creates here a pink aura around her body while you still see her human form as the core of the composition. That is Jean's signature look and iconography that Marvel writers keep away from her at all cost. why? No idea....

Everyone is the Phoenix these days and everyone now gets a pink bird aura except.....
    Last edited by Exodus; 09-25-2023 at 01:42 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Love this. Phil Noto's work really shines with these portraits, and I think Jean looks great. Happy that Jean's eyes are green here. A lot of times in Noto's work they are blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    For me it is the bird energy effect as an aura that enwraps Wanda's body. She could have turned into bird but she creates here a pink aura around her body while you still see her human form as the core of the composition. That is Jean's signature look and iconography that Marvel writers keep away from her at all cost. why? No idea....

Everyone is the Phoenix these days and everyone now gets a pink bird aura except.....
    I try to stay out of fandom wars, but I 100% get where Jean fans are coming from. Jean is often divorced from iconic imagery she is synonymous with. Thus far they won't let her utilize the Phoenix codename, or the Phoenix imagery, or the Pink Form Bendis introduced. Mind you this might change by the end of Jean's solo series, but as of right now, it hasn't. So I get why my fellow Jean fans feel the way they do.

That doesn't mean people need to attack Orlando, or Wanda's fans though.