Page 5 of 358 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mike7171 View Post
    Thanks for posting this mike7171!

Hey, this is so great that our own Mercury was quoted! And to think, I knew him when....lol!

Congratulations, Mercury!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

by the way, Jean b* slapping Madelyne must be one of the funniest things I ever saw in Marvel Comics. lol ;-) It is clearly meant as a metaphorical telepathic blow that will set Magik and Jean free from Madelyne's manipulation but the look of it is so beautifully the Housewives of Westchester New York.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    I find the whole concept of Krakoa/mutant isolationism deeply offensive so I can’t bring myself to read those stories. Plus, I mostly just want Chris Claremont back on X-Men. He’s the best X-Men writer and I don’t want anyone but him.

I enjoy a good female rivalry (especially when it’s over a guy) so we’ll have to agree to disagree on Jean and Emma.
    What makes the isolation offensive? I like that they finally have a place for themselves. The freedom from racism. It can also eventually open their doors to humans who accept them for who they are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    What makes the isolation offensive? I like that they finally have a place for themselves. The freedom from racism. It can also eventually open their doors to humans who accept them for who they are.
    So you support apartheid?

Mutants are analogous of real marginalized groups like queer people, POC, etc. So you mean to tell me all Black peoples should leave and form their own separate nation? Because that’s what you sound like.
    Last edited by KyleWayne; 01-02-2023 at 05:29 PM.

So you support apartheid?

Mutants are analogous of real marginalized groups like queer people, POC, etc. So you mean to tell me all Black peoples should leave and form their own separate nation? Because that’s what you sound like.
    That’s not what I’m saying? I said it’s their choice. It’s what they want from themselves. Isn’t that the same thing like Wakanda, Atlantis? New Atlian? Am I missing another one? Themyscira!

I like everything I’m seeing from the quiet council to X Corp making their own currency. To them having their own base in NYC.

How they use their abilities and make other planets livable.

Mutants are the future.
    Last edited by MarquisAsh; 01-02-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Had more to say.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    That’s not what I’m saying? I said it’s their choice. It’s what they want from themselves. Isn’t that the same thing like Wakanda, Atlantis? New Atlian? Am I missing another one? Themyscira!

I like everything I’m seeing from the quiet council to X Corp making their own currency. To them having their own base in NYC.

How they use their abilities and make other planets livable.

Mutants are the future.
    Enjoy. That stuff’s not for me. At least I have X-Treme X-Men and X-Men Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Thanks, lol. Although, I think the top spots may have been taken from Jean and the One Above All now that The Beyonder went "further beyond" and came to our reality in Al Ewing's Defenders: Beyond series. I guess we'll have to wait and see what he can do after he comes back now that he knows he is a comic book character and that the rules probably don't apply to him anymore the way it does the One Above All. But one thing is for certain...it ain't going to be good, especially if he starts acting like Deadpool.
    I'm replying to this post again as a reminder to read through Defenders Beyond tonight so that I can respond tomorrow or the day after. ::wraps one leg around your waist tango style:: I'm not through with you yet!

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    When the Hickman era first started many fans had issues with the resurrection process. It didn't bother me because as a Jean fan I felt we were already kind of used to it especially with her deaths and resurrections - and this doesn't just go with Jean but any of the major psychic characters. Jean has re-created her body before, so has Betsy, Emma and others have been trapped in other bodies, etc. Just look at Jean's first run as Phoenix - her mind and body copied/transferred -in my mind it isn't so different from the current resurrection process.

So I don't see them as clones but just transferring their minds to cloned bodies. It is still them in all the ways that would matter. It is an art and a science so there are nuances that I think trip folks up when they overthink it. Now that we have two Laura's running around that may complicate things further lol

I find the resurrection process very interesting - reminds me in a way of Altered Carbon (see show in Netflix or the book series).
    Exactly. Jean has definitely been transferring her own psyche without the help of Cerebro. I bet Chuck even knows about it, but the two have chosen to keep it between themselves.

Also, what Bendis, Bunn, et al. did with Jean was a pure gift. I love that she has such a deep, textured, and varied story, and their contributions only made it even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I am excited to see the thread popping today. I'm looking forward to many interesting X-men stories in 2023. I think Jean will continue to shine and we'll get a lot of good content.
    It's going to be a fun year. Duggan and Gillen have both spoken of having plans for her, and Duggan said they would be "big." Plus, we have X-Men '97 to look forward to, and I think her return on the show is going to come as a surprise to many and be hailed as a comeback. She's going to be one of the breakout stars of that revival.

I’ve been disenchanted with Marvel for the past 15-20 years which is why I don’t read much new stuff from them, but every so often they publish the right kind of book for me.

I came back to the X books for Phoenix Resurrection/X-Men Red and ended up hating both. Ultimately I blame the new writers for that. They were so bad.
    Oh, babe, I'm sorry to hear that. No matter; I'll lure you back in with my charms and wiles. We have to get you to read some of the Jean-related content from the last two years. There's some genuinely good stuff. Just jump in!

My major issue with Red was decompression. They could have told the same stories in a couple of issues rather than five or six. Too much action, not enough words. I also didn’t like the team lineup or concept. I did think the writing for Jean was good and in character, though.
    My only major issue with Red is that Taylor didn't allow Jean to cut loose enough. She should've been able to handle Nove all on her own, though I do like the idea of her being able to summon some of Marvel's most important heroes. Still, the final showdown should've ended with Jean telepathically blasting her into a catatonic state. I liked the rest quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mike7171 View Post
    I know! The reporter a mutual of mine on Twitter. I acknowledged this some posts back. Thanks for bringing it up again!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thanks for posting this mike7171!

Hey, this is so great that our own Mercury was quoted! And to think, I knew him when....lol!

Congratulations, Mercury!
    Aw. You will always know me, and I you, my little Phoenix. 🥹

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    by the way, Jean b* slapping Madelyne must be one of the funniest things I ever saw in Marvel Comics. lol ;-) It is clearly meant as a metaphorical telepathic blow that will set Magik and Jean free from Madelyne's manipulation but the look of it is so beautifully the Housewives of Westchester New York.
    It's a beautifully rendered moment and page. Also, I think it'll be more impactful if Jean ends up doing what we all suspect and actually helps Madelyne.

Enjoy. That stuff’s not for me. At least I have X-Treme X-Men and X-Men Legends.
    I said you're coming in. Follow me...

Anywho, here are some more feats I pulled together:

Jean shields the X-Men, Avengers, and Eternals and prevents the Progenitor from “crush[ing]” them with its “psychic heaviness:

She holds apart the Progenitor's heart (“a miniature sun”):

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Here, she infiltrates the Progenitor's mind and atomizes its "antibodies," making Tony—and us—see fire:

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Oh, and she was being cautious and gentle with the Progenitor so as to circumvent this becoming a reality:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I'm replying to this post again as a reminder to read through Defenders Beyond tonight so that I can respond tomorrow or the day after. ::wraps one leg around your waist tango style:: I'm not through with you yet!

Exactly. Jean has definitely been transferring her own psyche without the help of Cerebro. I bet Chuck even knows about it, but the two have chosen to keep it between themselves.

Also, what Bendis, Bunn, et al. did with Jean was a pure gift. I love that she has such a deep, textured, and varied story, and their contributions only made it even more so.

It's going to be a fun year. Duggan and Gillen have both spoken of having plans for her, and Duggan said they would be "big." Plus, we have X-Men '97 to look forward to, and I think her return on the show is going to come as a surprise to many and be hailed as a comeback. She's going to be one of the breakout stars of that revival.

Oh, babe, I'm sorry to hear that. No matter; I'll lure you back in with my charms and wiles. We have to get you to read some of the Jean-related content from the last two years. There's some genuinely good stuff. Just jump in!

My only major issue with Red is that Taylor didn't allow Jean to cut loose enough. She should've been able to handle Nove all on her own, though I do like the idea of her being able to summon some of Marvel's most important heroes. Still, the final showdown should've ended with Jean telepathically blasting her into a catatonic state. I liked the rest quite a bit.

I know! The reporter a mutual of mine on Twitter. I acknowledged this some posts back. Thanks for bringing it up again!

Aw. You will always know me, and I you, my little Phoenix. ��

It's a beautifully rendered moment and page. Also, I think it'll be more impactful if Jean ends up doing what we all suspect and actually helps Madelyne.

I said you're coming in. Follow me...

Anywho, here are some more feats I pulled together:

Jean shields the X-Men, Avengers, and Eternals and prevents the Progenitor from “crush[ing]” them with its “psychic heaviness:

She holds apart the Progenitor's heart (“a miniature sun”):

Thank you but I have no interest in X-Men beyond Claremont and the 90s.

I would like to see Marvel revisit Jean being Artie and Leech’s mom.

Thank you but I have no interest in X-Men beyond Claremont and the 90s.

I would like to see Marvel revisit Jean being Artie and Leech’s mom.
    So, you're going to abandon her—just dismiss and throw her away—because Claremont is not writing her? By the way, did you read Claremont's prequel to Days of the Future Past, i.e., Uncanny X-Men #140.5, which was published in 2021 as part of the Marvel Paragon Collection: Chris Claremont? If you haven't, check out this beautiful and pivotal scene.

https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...76307305349126

Also, I'm not through with you yet, either!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

*Puts rose in mouth, wraps one arm around your waist* Oh really? I look forward to it! Then...we'll tango.

Also, congrats on getting featured in that article!
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 01-03-2023 at 09:16 AM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

BANNED

So, you're going to abandon her—just dismiss and throw her away—because Claremont is not writing her? By the way, did you read Claremont's prequel to Days of the Future Past, i.e., Uncanny X-Men #140.5, which was published in 2021 as part of the Marvel Paragon Collection: Chris Claremont? If you haven't, check out this beautiful and pivotal scene.

https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...76307305349126

Also, I'm not through with you yet, either!
    This is the first I’m hearing of this book and I’d buy it just for this Jean story!

Is that White Phoenix costume from the Morrison run? I don’t recall seeing it in the 80s or 90s books. It looks great. I even liked the variation from X-Men Forever. It’s a very versatile costume.

I would love to read a new Jean story ideally written by Louise Simonson focusing on her dynamic with her foster kids Artie and Leech.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    *Puts rose in mouth, wraps one arm around your waist* Oh really? I look forward to it! Then...we'll tango.

Also, congrats on getting featured in that article!
    lol! You’re the best. 🥹 And yes, we will be tangoing. I'm halfway through Defenders Beyond.

This is the first I’m hearing of this book and I’d buy it just for this Jean story!

Is that White Phoenix costume from the Morrison run? I don’t recall seeing it in the 80s or 90s books. It looks great. I even liked the variation from X-Men Forever. It’s a very versatile costume.

I would love to read a new Jean story ideally written by Louise Simonson focusing on her dynamic with her foster kids Artie and Leech.
    Yep, I was gifted the book for my birthday. They still sell copies on EBay.

Also, that particular White Phoenix costume may have debuted in New X-Men—the all-white version debuted in the backstory “Flights of Angels” (1990) I previously mentioned—but I dare not claim it did because there's always some obscure appearance overlooked by most of us.

In other news, here are some uniform redesigns Mark Eastwood shared yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm5WmjCPkfw/

mrkstwd: After I completed the Jean series I played around with a couple of my own designs for a bit of fun but never posted them. 😳

The first look is a bit out there, it’s a modern ‘Marvel Girl’. 60’s era Jean was a model and loved fashion (she wore a minidress for a reason!) so I wanted to bring that back with a Versace-esque look.

The 2nd one is based on a variety of her past looks such as the Phoenix, X-Factor, All New X-Men, etc.

BANNED

I just checked out Classic X-Men and yup, she’s in white! I actually prefer the Morrison because of its mild use of color (particularly gold) in the design. But you really can’t go wrong with that Phoenix costume. It works with so many different colour schemes.